default data saver

Dex-chan lover
You mean the compresssed images, right?
I remember the admins said they don't wanna make it default because they prioritize serving chapters in high quality.
But I don't get why the setting doesn't stay on when logging in and out of different devices etc.

I understand the need for people to see manga in high quality but by making original images default ,the manga doesn't only take more time to load but also takes up more data, my idea is that in order to have faster loading times it should be default to have compressed images and for anyone that feels that the quality isn't good or isn't constrained by data,they can shift to original .At least instead of a cookie based preference this should be account based preference

Dex-chan lover
@ryoarise
Even better, let people choose whether to keep some settings as cookie-based or account-based preference. a useless code hell, but still possible, right? right?

Double-page supporter
You know it can work both ways...

my idea is that in order to have faster loading times it should be default to have compressed images and for anyone that feels that the quality isn't good or isn't constrained by data,they can shift to original.
My idea is that in order to provide best service high quality images should be served by default and for any one that feels that the loading time is too long or use metered/constrained dataplan they can switch to compressed images.

At least instead of a cookie based preference this should be account based preference
Just 2 words - different devices.

Yeah sure, the thing is having to change the default settings is only minor annoyance at most and doesn't really take that much time to change. So I am ok even if it doesn't change

Group Leader
tbh i don't see any major differences between original and compressed images
only times i see the difference is when a double page image is shown in single page or when i purposefully zoom in the image (in mobile only)

Dex-chan lover
If your privacy master cache/cookie blasting technique doesn't allow you to set exceptions, you should get a new one

Group Leader
I think mangadex can benefit from this simple change.

How? The load on servers will decrease. Some might say, maybe the load will decrease but what if number of visitors increase, it will balance out again. Well, I don't have the access to such statistics so only mods/admins can figure out that math.

Mangadex is a complex website to any new user and not welcoming (ease of use/eye pleasing/whatever you wanna call it) in any way.

So, if a new user comes here, and they at least can read a chapter without load problems, at a little compromise of quality, the majority can accept that. Maybe they later on, try to understand the website, but first they gotta stay. And if they want higher quality, they'd be able to do that as the time passes.

Now, the vice versa situation, if people face problem with reading(because of high quality pictures), it decreases the chance of them staying, which further decreases the chance of them trying to learn how the site works, which further decreases them ever trying the data saver option. So the point is getting attention first, everything else comes later.

It's not really a moral/ethics issue, in my eyes, you know like, we wanna provide best quality or something like that. It's all a numbers game. And the quality we're talking about here is not even noticable by the majority, it's not like data saver provides horrible unacceptable images.

That's my feedback on this subject.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@Agent4T7

Bandwidth isn't the issue, user count is, if all the chapters on the site doubled in size we wouldn't even notice. MD@H handles it beautifully.

Data saver wouldn't make any difference to the load on the webserver/API server/DB servers, which are the actual limiting factors.

Specially on Wednesdays. AKA Hell Day. AKA a weekly event on the level of a Black Friday Sale, where the newest smartphone/tablet/80 inch tv is on sale to the first 10 people who checkout for only 5 dollars.

Group Leader
@bravedude8 I mean you have the data. So you're saying mangadex is not interested in new users, cause the servers aren't able to hold the current user load either. In computer terms, it is easy to run several heavy processes, but not millions of tiny processes i.e. there aren't enough lanes available to host each tiny user, even though you're left with lots of bandwidth/speed. So unless you guys get more/new servers; hosting more users isn't a possibility. Hmm, understandable.

@blackyawgdom oh were you comparing what happens here on every wednesday with the black friday sale? 5 dollars, that is like bottom of the pit cheap, if you actually get something good for that price.

Dex-chan lover
@Agent4T7
And the quality we're talking about here is not even noticable by the majority, it's not like data saver provides horrible unacceptable images.

Actually, some webtoons get absolutely destroyed by the "compressed images" option, especially the ones where groups upload images with a 1:100 aspect ratio. You see complaints about it from time to time in the support/bug boards

Edit: also didn't an error cause countless data saver images to be corrupted? I'm still not sure if all of those have been caught and regenerated yet

Users who are viewing this thread