Dosanko Gal wa Namaramenkoi - Vol. 4 Ch. 32.2

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Tearsax posted:

- It was too much of an event to just tell him she was gonna be away for 2 weeks. Do you know anyone who plans such a "climatic" goodbye when going away for two weeks?
...What climactic goodbye? You do remember she brought him to the park because Tsubasa wanted to see cherry blossoms and she wanted to thank him for being an inspiration to her (and also to go on a date), and she also figured it was a good moment to talk about the course abroad because it clearly meant a lot for her. She's been talking about wanting to change to be more like him since like chapter 20, and this character development just culminated in this latest arc.

There was no goodbye. The scenes got all tense and serious right before she started talking about it at the park, so I suppose that may have contributed to you perceiving it as climactic, but that was Tsubasa's "just friends" comment bringing the mood down and all the narration from there on being deliberately from his point of view, with him panicking inside his head and interpreting the situation much more seriously than Fuyuki was.

I mean, just reread the earlier chapters. The narrative trick comes entirely from Tsubasa's perspective coloring the scenes to be super serious, since he's afraid of losing her.

Dex-chan lover
@Jmann
I mean, the author during the date+hotel+airport used EVERY trope in the book to lead us to think "something". During those few chapters it was a non-stop of one cliche after another that, even if we didnt like it, it lead to a "whelp, she is going abroad, bye" setting, but it turned to actually a plot to make us think like that and the author be like "hahaha, i fooled all of you".
Problem is that when you use SO MANY events to reach a conclusion, but then you wanna be an smartass and play your readers, instead of getting amazed like a lot of people are from what i read in the comments, i feel like "so? all that big deal of events to reach THIS conclusion? looks stupid tbh".

And of course the editor is also at fault for letting the author go on with this shitty plot.

All these comments from readers who got baited but can't admit it so they're calling the series trash because it made them feel like idiots. This made my day.

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday Again, i dont agree at all. Be it a narrative trick or not, the author makes this whole date to be a BIG deal and she, who has always been so happy-go-lucky and carefree, suddenly brings up the topic about going abroad in a way that looks like a BIG deal.
I dont care about the ice cream, i dont care about losing the last bus and i dont care about the hotel. She says she has planned this whole thingy for a long time, so if you are gonna tell someone that you are gonna go abroad i do NOT believe that you forget to say its only gonna be for a few weeks.

In my opinion the author messed up. He created too big of a situation to play with us, which isnt bad, but he ended up making the progress of the whole situation look overwhelming for how small of a deal it actually was. So she making such a big dead out of nowhere makes me feel like she was butthurt with him from frienzoning her and wanted attention.
Not saying thats how it is, just saying how her behavior makes me feel.

Dex-chan lover
I came here for the angry comments, I was not disappointed lmao

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday
I agree with Tearsax. She even stated herself that "two weeks is still kinda a big deal for [her]". You don't just 'forget' to tell someone you seemingly care deeply for about "a big deal". Honestly, she simply ditched him in an unknown city after that bombshell, then never contacted him again. There is no narrative trick, she sucks.

Group Leader
Aw man, they got me on the first half.

Also, it seems I've got too much salt on the beef still.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Tearsax You don't agree with what, exactly? You're free to not like it when the narration intentionally misleads you to interpret a scene in a specific way through one character's viewpoint, but that's not only just what I posted in the first comment of the thread, it's also a very, VERY common device in basically all literature.

The author made a big deal of it by writing the story so that it came across that way, yes. That was the point of the narration. That's what created the tension in the story. If this arc had been from Fuyuki's viewpoint, it would've been her going to tell Tsubasa about the two-week study trip when out of the blue he starts crying and hugs her, being told by her mom that she can't spend the night at a hotel with him, and then him ghosting her for a week.

Fuyuki herself wasn't actually making a huge deal of it if you reread the chapters (again, that was Tsubasa's panic coloring the situation), but just like she said in this chapter, going away for two weeks abroad when she's basically never left home for the specific sake of growing as a person is a big deal for her.

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday
You conveniently left out the fact that Fuyuki ghosted Tsubasa as well. She's not blameless, not even in the slightest.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@cor3zone But she was telling him, she just got interrupted. I don't know if you somehow always remember exactly what you were talking about especially if you get distracted in the middle of it, but it's certainly not rare for me, for example to go like "wait, did I not talk about this with you yet?" when I have some topic I've been meaning to talk about with someone but forgot to actually do it.

Human memory is shit. We think we've seen and done things we never have all the time. It's why eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable.

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday
I don't know about you, but when something is "a big deal to me" I make sure I tell the people affected. Several times, for the exact reason you offered: Human memory is shit. And Fuyuki can hardly shut up about things usually, but this time she did? BS.

Maybe she forgot, initially. Then she ditched him, then the mutual ghosting. She sucks.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@cor3zone Did I say she was blameless? Again, doesn't mean it was malice or intentional. I could imagine she felt awkward about having left Tsubasa alone and thought he was mad at her or whatever insecure ideas teenagers in love get about disappointing their crush. You could say both of them were at fault for not resolving the situation if you wanted to, but it's definitely weird to be assigning outright blame here, lmao. You could say the author is at fault for not resolving the situation, but then you're just complaining there's tension in your story and you don't like that.

"She sucks", jesus. Anime teenagers aren't acting 100% rationally, what a world.

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday
I'm not blaming her, exclusively. But it's not a good look for her, since she already planned 'something' with that hairpin. The stretch to 'it was all intentional' is shorter than the stretch to 'she just forgot'.

Wow, so I can't even complain about fictional characters, but you can complain about our opinions on them?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@cor3zone Yeah, she wanted to see him before she left, it's not exactly a mindbender. Pretty sure it's much less of a stretch that she's just simply... not lying because she actually does like him. Makes much more sense narratively.

Also, you can complain about whatever you like, me disagreeing with you doesn't mean you're not allowed to.

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday
I never said she had malice. You kept bringing that up, not me. I do think it was all planned as a 'test', because why the fuck would she plant a hairpin instead of just sending a message? Or, I don't know, wake him up before ditching? Or, you know, maybe just tell him, for sure.

Look, it's clear we'll never agree. And I'm getting pretty pissed at your double standards, as you may have noticed. So, with the kindest intentions I can currently muster, fuck off. No hard feelings.

Users who are viewing this thread