Doushitara Osananajimi ♀️ no Kanojo ni Naremasu Ka!? - Vol. 3 Ch. 16

Dex-chan lover
I hate when Japanese writers don't know how to progress a relationship, so they just add a rival character
It didn't need another character, but sure, add an annoying rival that would live only for a couple of chapters and wouldn't actually do anything except be annoying
This was really boring and disappointing

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Girl just appeared out of nowhere, said "I'm just a plot device, don't worry", and just left without elaborating further. Classic situation of an author running out of idea on what to do to progress the story, I guess.

Dex-chan lover
At least this new character realised that there wasn’t room for her in this relationship, but I’m still a bit sad to see her ruin the sweet date they could have had.
Honestly if she wasn't there nothing would have happened. Would have just been one sided pinning and Yuzu stares. At least now we finally got at least a blush after all this time.

Dex-chan lover
I hate when Japanese writers just don't know how to progress a relationship, so they just add a rival character
It didn't need another character, but sure, add an annoying rival for a couple of chapters
This was really boring and disappointing
You get used to it.
After all, Japanese love this trope a lot, both as writers and readers, so as long as the RomCom genre is a thing, this trope will persist, lol.

Dex-chan lover
I read, like, 90% of GL titles on this site and couldn't get used to this, 'cause there are writers, who know other tropes, so this just looks really lazy
Of course, this trope is not always going to be present, but it doesn't help that it's a formula that somewhat "works".
You want to advance the plot, and, as you said, don't want to think too hard about it? Just add a rival. You want to spice things up? Just add a rival. You want an antagonist? Just add a rival.

It's something simple, which doesn't need too much thinking, and on top of that, it gets positive (In most cases) feedback from the Japanese fanbase?

It's no wonder they keep doing it here and there.

Dex-chan lover
I don't mind the froth of a plot, but I will be sad if that group of friends she has doesn't come back in force.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly if she wasn't there nothing would have happened. Would have just been one sided pinning and Yuzu stares. At least now we finally got at least a blush after all this time.
I do see your point, but I also think they could bring progress without introducing another character. It feels a bit overused as a “cheat” for the author, which is why I’m happy it didn’t overstay and started making things complicated.

Dex-chan lover
I do see your point, but I also think they could bring progress without introducing another character. It feels a bit overused as a “cheat” for the author, which is why I’m happy it didn’t overstay and started making things complicated.
It's definitely overused and predictable. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. It's just that the writer wrote themselves into a corner and I figured they'd introduce a character to shake things up and they did. Without this character I don't know how they'd explain Yuzu's completely ignoring Minami's obvious advances for the past 15 chapters. It had to be that she didn't realize her feelings yet and it had to be a new event or character because everything else clearly wasn't working.

So it was just "turn your brain off and have some fun" time until this passed. This manga is pretty light anyway so no big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread