Dungeon Kurashi no Moto Yuusha - Vol. 3 Ch. 18 - Al is secretly watching the battle…!

Dex-chan lover
@Solipsist - he wanted to be all tactical and defeat them precisely and safely. Then he saw he doesn't have time for that, and blasted them with magic hoping they'll somehow survive.

Dex-chan lover
@flannan
I just want to say, that you didn't add anything. You're just re-iterating what was already told in the story. It's not like I didn't get that, I am bitching about it.

was expecting the princess tbh, and suddenly it's the Empress...
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

This new girl looks good, I'm guessing she's the Empress in Al's harem? I bet Al is gonna get all the unique girls while Blum gets the generic trope ones. In the end it wont matter since there's probably gonna be a lot of them that they start to meld together or divide up by doing only one thing to define themselves. Quantity vs Quality

Dex-chan lover
@Talh
Ai-chan always cringe at the use of 'their' to refer to a person of unknown gender in English. Ai-chan grew up with their being used as a plural pronoun and using 'their' to refer to a person of unknown gender really triggers Ai-chan anxiety.

Instead, translators should use the more suitable term 'this person' or 'that person'. "This person is strong" is better than 'They are strong" and "This person's sword is long" is better than "Their sword is long". Especially when we consider that it could confuse the reader as to why there's suddenly many people in the paragraph.

Heck, Ai-chan actually learned this from actual published English novels. They didn't use 'their' to refer to unknown person. These authors used 'he' to refer to a generic unknown person or 'this/that/the person' to refer to a person whose gender is in doubt.

@Solipsist Probably couldn't be sure they were strong enough to survive the attack till he had tested them. You don't want to come in with an overly powerful attack just because your foe is acting all hard if you don't plan on crippling or killing them. The plan here is to drain them for power and release them back into the world.

Thanks for the update, please continue translating this manga really love it. Thank you translators. Can't wait for the next update.

Fed-Kun's army
Well its as Predicted... but not in this way... this manga has me confused and it gives me a bitter feeling that this is an advert for a Novel that isnt going to be translated as far as I can tell.

Dex-chan lover
@Aichan Your suggestion strikes me as grammatically quite awkward and way worse than using they/them.

Yes, some authors have been known to use a he neutral default, that doesn't mean it's remotely good, it's not, and plenty of authors have used they/them in literature as far back as Shakespeare's works, it's not some new thing. It's old, and it's correct.

The usage has certainly gone up in recent years but even when I was a kid, roughly 20 years ago, they was used where I live in America, plus again, in legitimate history before our all times.

It just feels awkward to you because you haven't known it as long, it'll grow familiar over time if you stop being needlessly resistant to it.

But I mean hey, I can't force you to accept language, no matter how correct it is, though it is a bit petulant to be like "the language is wrong because I don't like it". 'This person' is certainly not more suitable in the least, it's grammatically incorrect at worst, awkward at best. It's like replacing all instances of 'he' with 'that man'. Awkward.

@Aichan
they
/ðeɪ/

pronoun
pronoun: they
used to refer to two or more people or things previously mentioned or easily identified.
"the two men could get life sentences if they are convicted"
people in general.
"the rest, as they say, is history"

informal
people in authority regarded collectively.
"they cut my water off"

used to refer to a person of unspecified gender.
"ask a friend if they could help"

This is from the Oxford English Dictionary, or at least Google's version of it. It is not only perfectly normal to use they in this context, but also the correct usage. "This person" is just awkward, as @Fari said.

Dex-chan lover
@Aichan - It's better to start geting used to it. As people's genders become more complicated, the demand for gender-neutral pronouns like "they" rises.
Good or bad, that's the direction the world is going.

You guys might say that but in japanese when people talk about somebody without revealing the gender they mostly use "ano hito -> that person".
So it literally the correct translation.

Dex-chan lover
@Oneesamaa That's not how translation works though, how a sentence is structured in japanese and how it's structured in english are not parallel, like, this should be inherently very obvious to anyone who knows the slightest bit about any two given languages.

Sometimes translators on mangadex do try to do the most machine-literal translations possible and the entire comment section rightfully complains about how god awful it is for a reason. Being too 'literal' in translation tends to be quite bad. They is the closest equivalent of 'that person' in most cases in a proper english sentence. Yes, there are some scenarios where 'that person' is appropriate, but the examples it's being pushed for are not as such.

Users who are viewing this thread