Dungeon Meshi - Vol. 10 Ch. 68 - Thistle

Aw...book lion got bookmarked.

That aside, at least we get to see Thistle's madness a lil.

Dex-chan lover
Demons haven't been shown to be good or bad. As alien creatures, they don't seem to have a set morality, but they do seem to find desires tasty, and that's bad.

Dex-chan lover
a book that has eyes ? i want to read a book , and i dont like a book that reads me , lol .

page 25 : note that the lion is licking the dark elf 's hand , he is actually eating a little desire , then in the next panel , dark elf 's head is twitching / throbbing because he has a memory-loss .

Banned
@Sarsak yeah, I think this is the first explicit mention. It was previously hinted that she was half-human by her less-pointed features and the implication that her father died of old age while she was (for an elf) very young, but never stated outright.

o8o

@Lucrecia @CountryMage @SemperSolus
I don't think the Winged Lion is good or evil.
I'm thinking along these lines too. This is a theme in some of KUI's short stories too.
The demons are originally weak and have no desires of their own but when exposed to the desires of people they gain power and want to consume/fulfil more complex wishes, leading to a vicious circle - the ultimate perpetual motion machine.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
[

The demons don't even need to consume but are tempted and insatiable once they get started.

There is a legend passed down through the ages on how to avoid the worst of a demon's temptations but it seems unlikely to work.

Maybe the original legend was distorted and instead of leaving milk on your bedside table,
let the demon read your secret diary instead? <-This theory seems unlikely even to me but each of KUI's panels are there for a reason.

I am also reminded of No-Face from Spirited Away:
Interviewer: Where does Kaonashi [No-Face], who swallows everything, come from? Also, I noticed in [Spirited Away] that Kaonashi, Boh, and Chihiro's parents are all obsessed with overeating.
Hayao Miyazaki: That's right. These characters are full of personality flaws. I made this movie for the two daughters of my friends. The two are 10 years old, the same as Chihiro. I didn't want to show something like a "fight between good and evil." I wanted to show the truth of the world. Girls have to discover the world as it is, not an oversimlified dualistic situation of good and evil.

Edit: Put the images in spoiler tags coz they were quite big...

Winged lion trying to stoke conflict so the desires of the two parties get stronger.

Also I think whatever the lion ate from thistle has caused her to go mad.

Dex-chan lover
Still don't understand if the winged lion is the dungeon core, some sort of minor god, monster or what. Just get more confused about the lion

This is such a little thing but I absolutely LOVE the way she draws the lion. It looks so soft and the way it squishes gives it so much personality, it just feels REAL when I look at it 🥺

Ryoko Lui's artwork is always so incredible, but the lion really stands out to me !

Dex-chan lover
@voidmark yesss also when Thistle was beating it up it looked so comical even though it was such a serious scene, I love the contrasts between the facial emotions and the scenes. That scene of Marcille dancing with the rabbits was the pinnacle

Dex-chan lover
Hmm, Thistle refers to Marcille as Half Elf. How did he know that just by looking at her once? The quality of her magic, or quite literally her general appearance? She does have a fat ear...

Users who are viewing this thread