Dungeon Meshi - Vol. 9 Ch. 58 - Succubus

Hopefully in an omake or something we'll see the insane monstrous form they used to seduce Lauis.

Double-page supporter
Chilchack has excellent taste. That first succubus with blond curly hair was very nicely drawn. I approve 😍
Marcille on the other hand...oof.

Dex-chan lover
Aaaah this manga never disappoints me, it's a torture to wait this long but it's totally worth it!

Dex-chan lover
@thegoatrider @riflow @comedyxtragedy @hillerj @nobaka
She is not cursed, she is a beastkin: when she joined the group Chilchack said he HEARD they were artificial in nature and that they are made by fusing human and beast soul with dark arts. However, there are too many exemplars of the half-races for that to be the ONLY way they are created: most likely, the first samples were artificial, but then multiplied naturally.
There are several clues pointing towards the theory that she was born that way: the fact she has always been like there is one, the fact Chilchack has seen another catkin before is another.

In addition, the times she was trasformed by the changeling mushrooms give us more information on her situation: first of all, the fact that she change, to begin with, tells us that, whatever she is, it is her foundamental nature, and not an alteration. If she were under an alteration of some sort, either the changeling overwrite the curse, and then at the end she should have returned a human, or the curse was more powerful, and then no matter what the changeling changed her into, the curse should have kept her a cat. Moreover, we were told that changeling transform you into a similar race, meaning she has more in common with the cobolds and the orcs than with the chimera.

In any case, it was clearly stated that this is what she is: even in the case she was actually created from scratch (as was the case for Laius' sister), the human soul was just one of the ingredients involved in her creation, and there is no way to undo the process.

Double-page supporter
@Beregorn You can't be so sure about that. Since the author said she is cursed for now, we just have to listen to the author until she said something else.

Double-page supporter
@daywithoutgames What with the legal loli thing? He is halfling so of course he is attracted to other halflings, it would be weird for him to attract to other races. You are the one that have terrible issue. By your logic, he is a shota then.
And a man of culture? They were bought to be slaves. There is no thing cultural about slavery.

This is the manga that keeps on giving and a great callback to previous chapters since we know Marcille is a fan of extremely bad romance literature so her taste in suitors is just as fitting.

Dex-chan lover
@o8o
if they can appear as relatives, I'm betting laius saw farlyn, and was shocked long enough to be 'eaten'

Fed-Kun's army
@Beregorn
A question about your theory about the effects of the changlings on Izutsumi:
If people like her are made by fusing a human and beast soul with dark arts, why would the changlings only affect the human soul and not the beast soul too?

Dex-chan lover
at the end , i guess you can say : they are fukked , literally and figuratively , by the $uck-cubuses , lol .

Double-page supporter
@Shelly One might assume that curses are built to last, since that's the point of a curse. Engineering a curse to be resistant to outside influence seems par for the course.

@Beregorn Going to disagree with the idea of Izu's condition being her fundamental nature, due to the fact that she keeps cat ears across all her changeling transformations, and they're always at the top of her head, regardless of the typical anatomy of the species she becomes. This, compared to everyone else's ears becoming species-typical. This indicates to me that Izu's cat features are the result of a secondary factor resistant to changeling magic, and there seems little reason as yet to believe that this mystery factor is anything but something more akin to a soul-curse than to a natural state of being.

Double-page supporter
Thank you very much for the translation! Damn, I missed this manga so much last month.
1- Izutsumi's on the spotlight again, huh. She's not my type of character, but I can see her character subtly developing since her introduction, and I appreciate Ryoko sepparating some time in the story to do so;
2- W-What did the monster thots did to Big Dad Senshi, he got SYMPHONED out of his nut vital energy... (I wonder what's Senshi's type, though. Hope we can get his and Laius' perspective next chapter);
3- Laius really invested all his brain cells into monster knowledge. Can't disapprove of that, tbh, monsters are rad.
4- That first succubus' hair was in the realm of legends, holy damn. My man Chilchack knows his women.
5- Marcille's succubus was the cherry on top of this chapter, I laughed way more than I should at this, specially at her little "whew". Also, entering some polemic waters here, people on tumblr seem confident that this somewhat "proves" that Marcille is a lesbian, but honestly I think it does the opposite? They're clearly a male elf because that whole appearance plays on the "bishounen" and the "prince on a white horse" tropes. Elves in this manga are androgenous, so you can't simply tell the gender of one based on their face.

Fed-Kun's army
@Metonym
I don't understand how your reply connects to what I wrote. I'm talking about the scenario where we assume it's a fusion of souls rather than a curse. I'm not saying it is one it the other, but "if it was fusion, then:" (and then my question from before).

@o8o Thanks to your reminder of how Succubi work, it’s very likely that Izumi is going to be seeing her “birth family she never met” as her deepest desire. It also fits with what Chilchack said about “someone had to have raised you!”

Who wants to bet Marcille will see the teleporter Canary as her “Prince” type? 😂 His one eye could use an eyepatch after all, and he’s totally scarred enough. Seems plausible

Dex-chan lover
>tfw no qt halfling gf

Marcille being into ultra-cliche 90s bishounen made my day, perfect right down to the eyepatch and pointy chin.

Double-page supporter
@Shelly I should have made clear that I consider Izu's situation to be both a curse and a case of two souls, or one-and-a-half or what have you. I'm going by Marcille's speculation that an extra soul is mixed with Izu's, and taking a slight step further to assume that it's bound there by magic. Whatever mechanisms make the second-soul curse resistant to dispelling would also be more resistant to changeling magic than the human soul the curse was attached to. Thus, only her human factor is transformed by changeling magic, and it's not strange that the cat factor remains constant.

Alternate, less-developed speculation:
Still assuming it's two souls, the cat-ness curse might persist across transformations not because it resists changeling magic, but goes unnoticed by it (edit: as not being the true owner of the transforming body). In which case the human soul is the only target of the changelings, while the cat soul goes uninterrupted in its usual business of adding cat ears and tail after the fact. Less-developed because I haven't mapped out any possible contradictions with our other case study, Farlyn.

Oh lord this is my first post on mangadex, but by god, this chapter was amazing, I couldn't resist.
Laius running off by himself despite knowing the dangers.
Who knew even the greatest gourmet, Senshi, was not immune to his desires.
Marcielle's dream construct. I thought we might get baited with a Laius (or even his sister given Marcielle's attachment to her). Oof.
Poor Chilchack, these halfling ladies all resemble his wife (presumably in her prime) and whilst he started crying tears of laughter at Marcielle's succubus, the succubi mimicking his wife double teamed him so he was in heaven-hell and continued crying tears of bliss/sorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread