Dungeon Meshi - Vol. 9 Ch. 62 - 6 Days

Dex-chan lover
The hippogriff they fought this chapter (page 14 onwards) is probably the same griffin the main party fought, but it's already a griffin this chapter. However, considering that the griffin meat changed in the changeling ring, and that the griffin here definitely got covered in spores, it must have turned back into a hippogriff, and then BACK into a griffin before fighting Laius' team. Either that or the condition to transform is being IN the ring of mushrooms, which would make way more sense.

Also, in Chapter 50 page 21, it's implied that Kabru and Sureau are standing next to each other (with the canaries) when the bell goes off, but this chapter page 38 shows they were in separate places. Just a small thing I noticed.

every time the story says the captain is a young man i just cant take it seriously and double take because all i see is female elf(male) no matter what i do.

i need a male voice to accompany his text bubbles it seems.

the mushroom scene whre he became very buff was what i needed.
he looked like our boy from vinland saga.

@Embrth... In this chapter pg 28-30 all the daemon eyes have this hourglass-like appearance (including the goat), in pg. 22-23 the mature goat daemon has the same eyes, in pg 11 the one good look at the young goat daemons eyes also has this hourglass-like motif.

I am not sure what your point is, that the goat daemon has normal goat eyes? In that case, it still stands that all the other daemonic depictions have same/similar eyes, so eyes are still an indicative factor. One might claim that goats have daemon like eyes in this universe. It might be that all daemons have goat-like eyes, but not everything with goat-like eyes is a daemon (for example all goats are not daemons).

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge for whatever reason roman catholic demonology has a strong connection with goats.

@justinx931 Always be slightly suspicious of an elf's gender, like Asians, elves are traditionally depicted as having reduced sexual dimorphism. Eyelashes and attitude can be helpful hints, compare the Mad Sorcerer and the elf captain (both male) to the elves you know/suspect are male and the elves you know/suspect are female in this story, it takes work to tell apart male and female elves. Never trust an elf.

Wow this story is really chugging along. I really hope Laius doesn't go with the lion on the chance it is a daemon

@CountBaltorious
My point is it's normal for all goat daemons to have normal goat eyes. The only exception in your example is the cyclops on page 28 which has vertical eyeglasses-shaped eye.
I think the author draws the eyes based on goat pictures, it may or may not be indication of daemons.

Dex-chan lover
It make senses the winged-lion is a demon. It showed us in Laius dream that the lion hasn't eat for a long time after being held back in prison, it wants to eat as soon as possible (by eating laius desire or his friends i guess).

Thistle is more clever than Misurn, he studies a lot of dark magic to the point knowing the demon's weakness and able imprison it... so that's why the demon can't eat thistle despite his complicated desire for a long time.

Desperate, wing-lion said he didn't have a form and can be anything so thats why it changes form into a lion as a guardian spirit of golden castle and entering their dreams and giving a vision, so King Darghal begun his expedition to the surface in order gathering force to defeat Mad sorcerer because he is not an ideal lord dungeon from demon's perspective. (Sorry for grammar mistake)

Dex-chan lover
@sssr : I dont think Thistle was the one who created dungeon it the first place (or all dungeon in this world).

Maybe it was long before Thistle era because a lot of ancient people back then did a lot of research to summon infinite energy to the surface but their downside also bring demons too. With one tragedy recorded in manuscript, ancient people created dungeon and their mechanism so the demon can't freely reach the surface to eat people's desire.

Thistle can rules the dungeon because his obsession learning dark magic after King Darghal ask him to study magic (their kingdom probably have a lot of collection of magic books and manuscript from ancient time). That's why Thistle gain knowledge and the weakness of the demon, he was probably ask the demon to created his ideal world (his obsession for Darghal) and at the same time imprison the demon so it can't feed Thistle's desire.. that's why he can rules the dungeon for a long time without troubles

Dex-chan lover
@Syanindita It's already been established that Thistle did create THIS dungeon. The elves knew how to create such dungeons in the past but then banned them when the risks became apparent. Marcille's study in magic school was on how to create dungeons, and she had to go to that school because she couldn't do it in the elven schools (due to the ban).

Also, I think you misunderstood the gist of Misurn's story and what happened to his Canaries (or what Canaries are and why they only react to THIS dungeon now). All dungeon builders in the past were demon summoners who knew full well the risks of summoning a demon. That's why they built the dungeons to imprison the demons they summoned. The dungeon builders (Thistle included) would very rarely fall for the tricks of the demons they summoned because they knew the risks. That's why the demons would grow the dungeon to the point of inviting outsiders in. What the demon is really trying to do is to ultimately invite an outsider ignorant of the secrets of the dungeon but strong enough to displace the builder, thus freeing the demon. Alternatively, like in Misurn's case, the continuous intrusions would vex and weaken the resolve of the dungeon lord to the point that they would drop their guard and allow the demon to feed on them. This is why the Canaries are also worried about Thistle and his complex desires.

The condition that would trigger the deployment of Canaries is the transfer of power in a dungeon. All dungeons invite adventurers, and as those adventurers gain experience and skill, they get closer and closer to being able to reach the heart of the dungeon and the demon imprisoned inside. The dungeon builders knew the risks, but the adventurers don't. So the most dangerous situation emerges when an adventurer gets close to displacing the original master of the dungeon (like Laius has managed now). That's the point at which the elves would dispatch Canaries to stop the transfer of power. It is also the only time they can deploy usefully because it marks the point when the original dungeon builder's power is at its lowest ebb. If they tried moving in before they'd have to both fight the dungeon and compete against the adventurers from scratch. So they just wait for the adventurers to clear most of the monsters and open an easier path. It's also possible that some dungeons are nightmare difficulty so that nobody can ever beat it, so Canaries are never dispatched there. Misurn's original team was deployed during one of these events to overtake whoever it was that was on the verge of displacing the original dungeon lord of the goat's dungeon. They succeeded in doing that, but their stupidly complex relationships hindered their ability to cooperate and opened the door for their greenest member to fall to the goat's temptation. That's the real gist of Misurn's story.

The winged lion's true name is Vapula. In demonology Vapula is a lion with the wings of gryphon, perfectly matching the description of the winged lion. Also notice how in a previous chapter the lion doesn't mention it's true name because it said it has neither a true name or form, if it said the name Vapula, Laius who is knowledgeable about monsters and legends would of no doubt heard that name in passing before and would give him some concern or at least be able to discern that it's demonic in origin.

Fed-Kun's army
wait, doesn’t that mean that winged lion guy is a demon? Shit, who’s actually the bad guy here? is laius gonna get all his shit sucked out?

https://mangadex.org/chapter/500314/21

seems like this page got retroactively rewritten slightly here, since when the bell rang in this chapter kabru and sureau weren't actually together? though they were just a teleportation portal apart, and the fact that laius's party saw a fire there indicates that it was planned for somebody to be traveling ahead of them (kabru/misurn).

Misurn: Noo you can't put me to sleep with just massaging the sole of my foot.
Kabru: Haha the sole of your foot goes [crunching noise]
Misurn: Zzzzzzz

If you’d have told me when I started this that this manga about cooking monsters might be fucking tragic and kind of sad I’d have laughed in your face

Users who are viewing this thread