Dungeon Meshi

Dex-chan lover
There's few series I look forward to as much as Dungeon Meshi. Anime when.

Dex-chan lover
There's a vague fear I have that if they made an anime of this they'd use CGI and it'd look kinda like Berserk. It'd have its ups, but it would be mostly down.

Still, it's only a vague fear.

Lady gaga descend
30le2kz.jpg

this is probably the best manga i've read to date. no stupid fan service or unnecessary lolis, interesting & likable characters, & a compelling plot. the author goes into surprising detail with the world-building & i get excited at every new monster encounter to see what interesting info Laius will spew forth.

this is a definite recommend for almost anyone, i think i might even suggest this to my non-manga reading friends as just an interesting story with good illustrations

Despite the plethora of jokes, the characters' motivations are quite interesting.

There's few absolute rights and wrongs.

Damn it, I left this alone for a while cause it ended on such a cliff hanger last time I got caught up. Now I come back after months to get caught up again and its on an even bigger cliffhanger.

Since I've been re-reading this like a lunatic, there's a few things I've noticed/figured out that I missed my first time(s) through in no particular order I lied I tried to make them chronological!
- Laius used to use a shield (never a helmet though?) but hasn't picked one up since, also I literally never noticed he actually has knee pads poleyns
- Senshi says he's been eating monsters inside the dungeon for (more than?) 10 years, prompting Marcille and Chilchack to wonder whether the dungeon was even there back then. Is Senshi a leftover from the elf-dwarf conflict for control of the island? Will he recognize/be recognized by the elf newcomers (unlikely, but the conflict may be brought up)?
- It was weird to me for the longest time that Senshi and Marcille are both unimpressed by Chilchack's age, but the Nightmare chapter basically confirmed that Marcille (long-lived races, in general?) grew at a significantly slower rate and as such is technically older than she looks and behaves?
- I briefly considered the idea that the Sorcerer was himself an outsider within the paintings, but he's visibly smaller (with short rather than braided hair), so he probably actually was there back then?
- Laius doesn't recognize Kabru but does recognize the Kobold, how typical
- The halfling who introduced Laius and Farlyn to Chilchack (whom Kabru refers to as a halfling boss or somesuch, ominous) seems to be the same one from the brief flashback to their gold-stripping days?
- The sane spirits attempt to stop the resurrected Farlyn as she's being summoned by the Sorcerer, and actually stand between her and the Sorcerer (sadly to no avail) after he's gotten rid of Laius and co.
- On a similar note I somehow overlooked said spirits begging Laius to free them during his bout of "mana sickness" several times over!
- Chimera-Farlyn seems intrigued by the Kobold rather than hostile, at least until he bit her hand, probably hearkening back to Laius' flashback/fever dream after he killed the dragon
- I initially interpreted someone grabbing Marcille's (who was the last person in line) hand as the shapeshifter, but it was actually Izutsumi!
- What did Laius tell the orc chief??
- Probably some other things I forgot

Contributor
Wrote a review on this, here it is:
https://terrenceswiff.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/dungeon-meshi/

I decided to review this since at the time the series was on the cusp of a big change, and that happened and turned out great so picking it up (especially now) is a good idea to join in on the fun. It kind of goes without saying that Dungeon Meshi is a good series, but I still said it in many words.

in case anyone is wondering like me, its in chapter 36 when laius is talking to kabru about eating living armor, that the dungeon cleaners restored the lion head emblem on his sword

you can see the restored lion head in chapter 37 when they are fighting

also the young beardless senshi is only 10 years younger than he is right now, i dont know about dwarvern physiology, but if the that beardless senshi is dwarvern teenager, senshi right now is only just an adult, he is younger than he looks

lol, they just established there were changlings in the dungeon, then forget about it and ended up stepping into a ring of them.

Dex-chan lover
Oh man, I'm really curious how next chapter is gonna be after the final page of this one.

Dex-chan lover
If you ever were like me and were interested in the biology of monsters than I think you'll like this manga! Especially good if you're a fan of the Etrian Odyssey games.

I think it needs a horror tag though.

Users who are viewing this thread