E, Shanai System Subete Wan'ope shiteiru Watashi wo Kaiko desu ka? - Vol. 2 Ch. 9

Dex-chan lover
lol other than breaking a contract i can imagine some ppl would've been more spiteful and completely deleted the code off all the servers so everyone would have to start from scratch lol
Certainly they would have backups. Likely they have the code in a source repository like Git where changes (and deletions) can be rolled back.

Regardless of that, intentionally deleting the code would be an act of sabotage and would result in a lawsuit with possible criminal charges.

The implication I got from the first chapter is that the moment the system started working everyone else was let go and Satou only stayed because the overworked manager must have convinced the old boss they needed someone to do maintenance and Satou was the one with the best knowledge.
At that point there is no incentive, budget or people to make the system easier to understand until she gets dismissed and booted so fast she can't write a proper manual or train her replacement. Back in the first chapter she even asked to remain until the end of the year to hand over the system but was denied so yeah.

And for saying she made it hard on purpose... that happens when you're the only person working on the code, it starts getting less and less readable because you understand everything and it is faster to just use temporary(that become permanent) names to everything, and you always tell youself you will clean-up the code later and properly document everything... spoilers: a single person almost never manages to go back to the code for the clean-up
that last part really hit straight at my heart. piercing shot if i may say

Something worth noting though is that boss here is a somewhat capable guy: clearly understands he's in deep shit without downplaying the situation, accepts he screwed up BEFORE things could go any worse, takes action to immediately bring back the personnel who's clearly essential with no restrictions and also makes back up plans in case his main one fails, not that it worked but still... It'll be interesting to see him struggle to remain afloat.
just like that kanzaki said, the boss inner voice is leaked out. that kanzaki dude saw the crimson flag and the douchebag who painted it crimson is also right in front of him, so needless to say he choose to utilize joestar secret tech.

Dex-chan lover
Like you said, she had made herself too invaluable as an employee by making mission-critical software that can't be maintained by others. That is a failure on her part.

Unless, of course, the other staff actually was taught the needed knowledge to maintain it as well, and the 'issue' here was them quitting in solidarity removing the backups from that company, too.
Not sure why you're blaming her for being exceptional.
It's fine if you don't want to. But becoming invaluable is not a failure on her part.
Throughout history, humanity only advanced because someone did something exceptional. And in this case, her work had brought profit for the company.

Of course it's still a mistake to make one person be the single pillar that managed the system, but it's the company's mistake.
In the first place, it was the lack of personnel that pushed her to automate the system. And upon learning she was the only person maintaining the system, the company should have spent some resources to make several more people be familiar with the system, thus making her less invaluable. After that, she can be assigned to a new project, for example.

Personally I don't like doing above and beyond. But it doesn't mean it's wrong to do so.

Dex-chan lover
Not sure why you're blaming her for being exceptional.
It's fine if you don't want to. But becoming invaluable is not a failure on her part.
Throughout history, humanity only advanced because someone did something exceptional. And in this case, her work had brought profit for the company.

Of course it's still a mistake to make one person be the single pillar that managed the system, but it's the company's mistake.
In the first place, it was the lack of personnel that pushed her to automate the system. And upon learning she was the only person maintaining the system, the company should have spent some resources to make several more people be familiar with the system, thus making her less invaluable. After that, she can be assigned to a new project, for example.

Personally I don't like doing above and beyond. But it doesn't mean it's wrong to do so.
Being exceptional is never an issue. Being indispensable/invaluable is.
This is the same reason the mongol empire fell. It is the same reason companies crash and burn when key personnel leaves (or is sick or dies). and so on and so forth.

It is part of your job to identify when you are clearly being relied on too heavily, and notify your higher-ups (it is even more-so part of their job, but your job includes not ignoring it if you notice first) of this fact so they can ensure some redundancy (be that in the form of a person, or simply in the form of compiling documentation and manuals and training material for if you do collapse). Same reason why you tell companies if you know you are going to leave them in a couple months, so they can hire someone you can train.
Just as how it is your job to tell higher-ups when they are creating an unsafe workplace environment if you notice it before them. Or that you are given too much work and risk burning out or run out of overtime. (again, even more-so their job, but also part of yours to not keep silent).
Add to that how it seems like she was in a semi-managerial position for her department from how I understood it, it is absolutely her job to flag to higher-ups that her department lacks redundancy and has critical points of failure.

Dex-chan lover
Being exceptional is never an issue. Being indispensable/invaluable is.
This is the same reason the mongol empire fell. It is the same reason companies crash and burn when key personnel leaves (or is sick or dies). and so on and so forth.

It is part of your job to identify when you are clearly being relied on too heavily, and notify your higher-ups (it is even more-so part of their job, but your job includes not ignoring it if you notice first) of this fact so they can ensure some redundancy (be that in the form of a person, or simply in the form of compiling documentation and manuals and training material for if you do collapse). Same reason why you tell companies if you know you are going to leave them in a couple months, so they can hire someone you can train.
Just as how it is your job to tell higher-ups when they are creating an unsafe workplace environment if you notice it before them. Or that you are given too much work and risk burning out or run out of overtime. (again, even more-so their job, but also part of yours to not keep silent).
Add to that how it seems like she was in a semi-managerial position for her department from how I understood it, it is absolutely her job to flag to higher-ups that her department lacks redundancy and has critical points of failure.
Okay I see your point now, and I agree. But I guess we made different assumptions about the manga.

She mentioned that her previous company was a black one. So, I assumed she had done her parts in doing what you mentioned, BUT the higher ups ignored her. After all, that's the premise of black companies.

Also, she asked them to delay her dismissal to give a proper hand-off to the replacement, and she was even fine without her end of year leave. However, her request was rejected, and it seemed like they wanted her gone asap.
So, that's why I didn't think it was her fault for becoming invaluable. Like she didn't become invaluable because she had malicious intent or she didn't care.

The only thing I would fault her is for wearing a succubus cosplay to work, on the day when the new president visited them no less.

Dex-chan lover
Okay I see your point now, and I agree. But I guess we made different assumptions about the manga.

She mentioned that her previous company was a black one. So, I assumed she had done her parts in doing what you mentioned, BUT the higher ups ignored her. After all, that's the premise of black companies.

Also, she asked them to delay her dismissal to give a proper hand-off to the replacement, and she was even fine without her end of year leave. However, her request was rejected, and it seemed like they wanted her gone asap.
So, that's why I didn't think it was her fault for becoming invaluable. Like she didn't become invaluable because she had malicious intent or she didn't care.

The only thing I would fault her is for wearing a succubus cosplay to work, on the day when the new president visited them no less.
Ah yeah, if she did try to escalate the issue then she did indeed do all she could (or was there something about her getting new ppl to train? Dont remember exactly. If so she should have made documentation and manuals too, which would still exist after she left), unless her semi-managerial position was even more managerial than it sounded like (sans the semi-).

And you can't fault people for what they are wearing, unless they are explicitly front-facing roles meant to interact with customers.

Dex-chan lover
Ah yeah, if she did try to escalate the issue then she did indeed do all she could (or was there something about her getting new ppl to train? Dont remember exactly. If so she should have made documentation and manuals too, which would still exist after she left), unless her semi-managerial position was even more managerial than it sounded like (sans the semi-).
Well, there isn't much detail yet about her past, but she did leave a manual. https://mangadex.org/chapter/22f6383c-7ebe-41be-a194-7fdd6e25707a/16
Actually, I'm confused where you get the stuff about her in a managerial position. She didn't have any subordinate, hence one man army.

And you can't fault people for what they are wearing, unless they are explicitly front-facing roles meant to interact with customers.
I agree, and I don't have any problem with her cosplaying. But succubus outfit is pretty much a swimsuit, and you don't wear swimsuit to office work regardless of how lax their dressing codes are.

Dex-chan lover
Well, there isn't much detail yet about her past, but she did leave a manual. https://mangadex.org/chapter/22f6383c-7ebe-41be-a194-7fdd6e25707a/16
Actually, I'm confused where you get the stuff about her in a managerial position. She didn't have any subordinate, hence one man army.
I admit it was ages ago I read those chapters, so might misremember stuff. But I always had the impression she was the "team lead"/"senior dev"/"project owner"/"whatever their company decided to name that semi-managerial position a senior dev holds" for her department, with the small flashes we have gotten to see. Possibly even a department lead (since she was alone at some point iirc).
I agree, and I don't have any problem with her cosplaying. But succubus outfit is pretty much a swimsuit, and you don't wear swimsuit to office work regardless of how lax their dressing codes are.
I disagree. It is perfectly fine to wear swimsuits to your workplace so long as noone reports you for sexual harassment (aka if you have an unattractive body). Basically, any state of dress is fine, until someone at the workplace feels harassed or nauseated (and not merely outraged or dislike it).

Dex-chan lover
I disagree. It is perfectly fine to wear swimsuits to your workplace so long as noone reports you for sexual harassment (aka if you have an unattractive body). Basically, any state of dress is fine, until someone at the workplace feels harassed or nauseated (and not merely outraged or dislike it).
Well, I'll just agree to disagree.
Imo, some outfits are just not fine for certain occasions.
I think swimsuit isn't fit to be worn in the office the same way as formal suit isn't fit in the swimming pool.
You're free when you own the place though.

Users who are viewing this thread