Eiyuu Kyoushitsu - Vol. 5 Ch. 13 - Sexual Awakening

Group Leader
@Hezkezl
@Hrien
Thanks you two.
Tbh most of those mistakes are done by me lol.
And yeah typesetting/proofreading 30 pages is kinda boring.
Anyways thanks now I kinda understand that "manga" still need punctuation and easy to understand sentences.

Group Leader
@Abedeus
@StaticTransit

Wait what..
Music.?
Tf?
ohhh... that "usagi funk" lol it's not mine I don't even know how to make music kek.
Btw I'm really confused can you please tell me why you were accusing me of shit music.
Well if "Usagi Funk" is bad then it's my shit taste in music but I never uploaded shit I played to the internet

Dex-chan lover
@Scheibkerl Yeah we were talking about Whitepod, a dude who used to do really obnoxious TLs for Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu and was widely considered to be very unfunny by everyone older than 16. He became a sort of example of what NOT to do when scanlating.

@StaticTransit - He's not even that bad, considering he also released those chapters as standalone ( once people understandable got annoyed) and people ate them up just as much as the properly translated chapters. And all it took was Batoto/Mangadex giving him a warning for him to back off completely. In all honesty, he really wasn't that bad, annoying, sure, I can see that.

Koolio on the other hand that did - https://mangadex.org/title/37074/wakamono-no-kuro-mahou-hanare-ga-shinkoku-desu-ga-shuushoku-shite-mitara-taiguu-iishi-shachou-mo-tsukaima-mo-kawaikute-saikou-desu

was by far even more obnoxious. Not only did he inject really bad meme's, but he also preached politics to us and then got mad when Mangadex told him not to. Then he thought he was a rebel or some shit and continued to do it until he pissed off the moderators. He's dipped since and never come back though, thank goodness for that.

Dex-chan lover
@Akemua As far as I remember, though, Koolio kept it to the credits pages for the most part, which most people just click past without even looking at anyway. That's just how I remember it though, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Whitepod annoyed people because he basically graffiti'd all over the manga pages themselves. At the time, I think most people were used to, at most, a sensible chuckle from a Norway reference here and there. And yeah, once he started to release the separate versions criticism of him died down significantly.

I remember that at the time, the feeling I got was people were desperately white knighting for scanlators. I think there are many readers who feel that if they don't constantly praise and white knight for the scanlators, they might stop scanlating. Then there are others who think that scanlators, due to their efforts being volunteer work (usually), can literally do no wrong and are beyond reproach. That's just the feeling I got from people who were defending Whitepod at the time. Hell, I even remember some people praising the garbage music he tried to push lol.

The only other possibility I can think of is that many people genuinely thought Whitepod's stuff was funny, and that is actually a horrifying thought that I'd rather not entertain.

@StaticTransit - First of all, Koolio made a credit page shaming someone in his discord, and when he screenshot it and put it on his credit page, people told him it was naming and shaming, and to keep politics out of the manga, he instead thought to be a martyr. Obviously, most people didn't just click past the credit pages.

Secondly, at first, it was fine, because as he pointed out when he was injecting shitty memes into the spell incantations, instead of the actual translation, most of the spells were actually jibberish. Then he started doing it more frequently even when they shouldn't have been there. This pissed off ALOT of people.

As for Whitepod and his music, if Koolio's credit pages didn't bother you being there, neither should Whitepods recommendation on music. No one forced anyone to copy and paste the links and it should be a non-issue, correct? As for white knights, what does that even mean in this regard? There will always be people that don't take issues with things the same way others do; and yes, because it's a fan translation, most people do give them some breathing room. But both of these people ended up the same way, yes? They got nuked out of the scene because they pissed off more people than what the "white knights" could defend.

Just to point out, at least reading your opinions on the music and his jokes, that's all subjective. Clearly, a lot of people enjoyed both; just like how unfortunately people enjoyed being preached at in a titty manga. Lastly, as someone that reads a lot of Web Novels, I would way rather there be more work put into proper translations, spelling, and grammar than opinions and jokes with whoever is working on it.

TL;DR - Both Whitepod and Koolio were obnoxious and I can agree it really doesn't have a place in this kind of environment. But I also do give them some leeway as long as it's not political and not to an extreme degree that both of them chose to do. Either way, at the end of the day, these things take care of themselves. I've yet to see anyone be as extreme as Whitepod since and I've never seen anyone as political as Koolio before or after.

Dex-chan lover
@Akemua Koolio naming and shaming was bad, yes, but my point was that I think most readers skip past credits pages. Most readers don't comment, either. There were a lot of people yelling at Koolio, yes, but it wasn't most people, just the minority who a)knew what was happening and b)could be bothered to type something about it.

I actually do remember now what you're talking about the the spell incantations. That stuff did make me cringe a bit.

Whitepod's music never bothered me. I just thought it was bad, and it was funny how bad it was. It was a non-issue, but I thought it was just another funny part of the Whitepod saga that would be a disservice not to mention. Also, this wasn't just recommendations, mind you, this was Whitepod saying he's into music production and stuff and then putting that out. People made fun of him because it was mediocre, and my personal thoughts were that it was bad and funny, but that's about it. As for the white knights, I'm just saying that was the general feeling I got from most of the people defending him, as they never really seemed to provide arguments of any substance in his defense (well, sometimes there were, but rarely). Also, at the time, it certainly felt like there were more people in his defense than not (lots of ecks dees in the comments). I guess that also changed over time though. I think when he started putting out the different versions of the chapters, people felt more comfortable saying how they disapproved of that stuff.

I realize my opinions on his music and jokes are subjective, but I'm pretty comfortable with saying that, for example, Corey Feldman's Angelic 2 the Core is a bad album. Are there some people who liked that album? Perhaps, but I'm still gonna say it's a bad album. I think almost everyone who heard Whitepod's music found it bad, especially with how much he hyped up his own music production skills. It wasn't offensively bad, per se, but it was sort of the thing where people came out in droves to make fun of him. As somebody who also reads a lot of web novels, I do agree with your point about work being put into TLs, spelling, and grammar over jokes and such.

And yeah, I think we can all agree that we're all better off without either of them. I tend to draw the line where they can't keep the memery in credits pages, since I'm somebody who will skip credits pages if they get obnoxious. I can see that being an issue too, though, and so I definitely understand that, especially when they get political or religious or whatever.

In any case, I think this might be a good stopping point for a conversation about two TLers who aren't even very relevant here, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread