Eiyuu to Kenja no Tensei Kon ~Katsute no Koutekishu to Kon'yakushite Saikyou Fuufu ni Narimashita~ - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - The princess challenges The Hero…

Supporter
So now we have time travel. Oh boy, that difficult to write and easily leads to plot holes.
Technically… it isnt? It would seem more like prognostication or prediction, she is interacting with something from the future through a medium, not travelling to the future. Time travel would require you to physically move in time from point A to B, Tiana never physically left point A.

Dex-chan lover
You are generalizing non-natives as bad speakers,
No, I'm saying that the probability of error is higher with a non-native writer, and you are monkey-dancing as if plausibility logic is assertoric logic.
Were this a truly formal setting, we should scrutinize every single thing regardless if they're written by native/non-native.
That much is true. In fact, I scrutinize my own damn'd writing as imperfectly trustworthy. (But I know that it's more likely to be correct that much other writing.)

Dex-chan lover
No, I'm saying that the probability of error is higher with a non-native writer, and you are monkey-dancing as if plausibility logic is assertoric logic.
You said to never trust the EN translations written by non-native. Bad practices from imitation is also not necessarily exclusive to non-natives, whether the probability is high or not.

Regardless, even the third point doesn't seem intended to be read by the scanlation group, does it? Unlike the other two points which has merits to everyone reading them. The third point came up as antagonizing them and that is rather rude to them.

Dex-chan lover
Tiana is contacting from 10 years after Elria's death while Elria and Reid reincarnated 1000 years after Elria's death.

So from Tiana's pOV it's 990 years into the future.
Now, this makes me wonder..... can what Tiana did to Chris even be called reincarnation? As far as I know, reincarnation is... you kick the bucket, and boom! your soul gets a second shot at life in the future. Tiana here is clearly not pushing up daisies yet, so how can Reid label it as reincarnation? Anyone care to explain that to me? :notlikethis:

Supporter
I don't want to point it out but there's a bit of an editing mistake on page 4.....

Her mother is missing a foot.
Yep, that was my bad. I was so focused on cleaning the text off I didn't realize that it was covering up her second foot. Missed the forrest for the trees. It will be fixed!

Dex-chan lover
The OED (from which you are drawing without citation) didn't and doesn't aim to distinguish proper from improper use.
I thought I was simply posting a comment on a Mongolian basket weaving forum, not writing a paper to be peer-reviewed. In my native language it's "aanraden", which turns into "raad [...] aan"; so using "to" (as an analogy to "aan") sounds more natural to me. Dropping the "to" seem to trigger people though, so I think I'll do that from now on. Thanks!

Dex-chan lover
Now, this makes me wonder..... can what Tiana did to Chris even be called reincarnation? As far as I know, reincarnation is... you kick the bucket, and boom! your soul gets a second shot at life in the future. Tiana here is clearly not pushing up daisies yet, so how can Reid label it as reincarnation? Anyone care to explain that to me? :notlikethis:
Reid labeled it before Tiana explained, so I guess just him asking.

Dex-chan lover
Reid thought Tiana had done what he and Elria had done. Instead, she's using magic to mentally influence (and apparently take over sometimes) Chris. So, no reincarnation, and it's time travel-ish except both Reid and Elria are already dead in the past and apparently nothing Tiana can do will be remembered by the time our two heroes reincarnate, since the author established that they're totally forgotten.

Effectively this gives us a little bit more of the backstory and establishes that Elria's cuteness makes everyone gay for her.

Dex-chan lover
You said to never trust the EN translations written by non-native. Bad practices from imitation is also not necessarily exclusive to non-natives, whether the probability is high or not.
And now, to continue your monkey-dance, you're ignoring what else I wrote, such as
some native speakers are bad enough at English to make that mistake.

the third point doesn't seem intended to be read by the scanlation group, does it?
Oh yes it does. My concern was exactly that scanlation groups imitate each other, on a mistaken assumption that other groups are doing things correctly.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I thought I was simply posting a comment on a Mongolian basket weaving forum, not writing a paper to be peer-reviewed.
You quoted an authority without anything (such as a citation) to tell the reader the sort of the authority.

Quoting a dictionary that does not attempt to distinguish proper and improper use, but merely identifies observed uses, can lead to mistaken interpretation. Your subsequent snarkiness not-withstanding, you probably began with an honest mistake, but you made things needlessly difficult by not identifying the source that you were quoting.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Yeah the next like 5 chapters are gunna be crucial to the author not fumbling the bag 🤞
Yup, the question is whether the author is going to adhere to the story so far or if he's going to try to dip into some time travel nonsense that destroys any semblance of continuity.

Seen it happen before, that's why everyone gets apprehensive when time-related stuff shows up.

Dex-chan lover
So now we have time travel. Oh boy, that difficult to write and easily leads to plot holes.
As long as the author remembers what they already did in past chapters, and as long as these characters don't travel to the past, it should be stable

Dex-chan lover
Oh yes it does. My concern was exactly that scanlation groups imitate each other, on a mistaken assumption that other groups are doing things correctly.
I see. After rereading your og post, I think I finally get it.
It wasn't clear what you meant with the last point. It sounded like you were telling us other readers to not trust this scanlation group. However, if that is intended for the group itself, then the meaning is different.
That'd be my mistake. I'm sorry for mistaking your post.

Dex-chan lover
A construction may be stylistically odd without being wrong. (And we could find ordinary speakers using that construction when discussing different recommendations to be given to different people.)
So to do some further investigation, I went on Google Ngram to see which usage is more common, here's a link to what I searched: https://books.google.com/ngrams/gra...1800&year_end=2019&corpus=en-2019&smoothing=3
I couldn't figure out how to compare Example 1 with the other three, but I think we all agree that it's correct so we don't need to discuss it.
Anyway, it looks like example 4 is far more common than example 3 (as I expected), and is even more common than example 2. I think this is pretty strong evidence that "recommend me a book" is natural enough to use.
Maybe another interesting observation is that example 2 is used more than 4 in the period 1962-1982, which coincides quite well with when the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English was written (according to Wikipedia). But that's 40 years ago, and grammar changes with time.

On the other hand, if we replace "me" with "her", examples 2 and 4 appear with about the same frequency, with example 2 actually appearing more frequently in the past. So maybe adding a "to" would be better in the specific usage this chapter had ¯\(ツ)

I'd be interested if you can find any occurrence of "to me recommend a book/whatever" in the wild though, since Google Ngram isn't turning up any results.

Lan

Dex-chan lover
What are you talking about? Reid specifically didn’t label it as reincarnation. He said “Looks like you didn’t reincarnate here, huh?”

Users who are viewing this thread