Entirely broken chapters

Dex-chan lover
This happens quite a lot, but I figured I should finally post a bug report about it as it just did thrice in a row:
Sometimes chapters shows up in the feed (/updates/) that are "unavailable" (the error message). This is a common bug (ppl keep on assuming I don't realize the bug comes from a system meant to stop unknown groups from posting, so I will lead with saying that no, I am aware of it. I see the error nonetheless.), so I usually just report it in the comment-field, and sometimes with the report button, and then carry on.
Other times however, the bug is even worse, and (while the error message is the same) the comment-field can't be opened, the chapters don't exist elsewhere (ie. the mangas ToC), and when I try to report it with the report button, it just remains stuck on "submitting...". Just like with the three chapters (later linked as examples) I tried to report as a "fake/spam chapter" (because its not a real chapter, clearly), with the description: '\"This chapter is unavailable.\"\nAnd the comment section is also unavailable.' In other words, the chapters are the titular "entirely broken".

examples:
(they are all chapters from https://mangadex.org/title/62595/ that showed up just now, which is why I can post them as examples.)
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1224488 (8 mins ago)
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1224489 (6 mins ago)
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1224490 (4 mins ago)

Dex-chan lover
I might mention that my guess is that just like the referenced bug is related to a system to stop spam of troll chapters, my guess is that this bug is related to a system used to delete chapters (and clearly fails to do it, leaving their entry in the feed)

Fed-Kun's army
@feha
Nah, they are all chapters from the first time uploader that NEED to be approved by mods. Upon rejecting them, mods will delete them. Otherwise, all is good, no need to report them or anything.

Dex-chan lover
@MavB_Ver 'Nah' what? As far as I understand all you said, it sounds like you are reiterating exactly what I said. That the referenced bug is a bug from their system to rate-limit new groups, and that the bug in question is one from deleting chapters.
Are you saying that nah, all is good, that I never had those chapters appear in the feed (/updates/)? Cause that is plainly incorrect.

Its not a bug. All first time uploaders (in any language they havnt uploaded in before), get their releases put into the moderators queue. Which places those chapters as UNAVAILABLE for anybody but the mods and the uploader themselves. Once a mod aproves, the unavailable mark is cleared (or its deleted if rejected) and everybody can then view it.

In the case of chapters such as https://mangadex.org/title/23569/gokushufudou-the-way-of-the-house-husband, which is on the "Takedown" list, those chapters are "There" just for tracking purposes.

Fed-Kun's army
@feha
You don't need to report the chapters or anything. It's a pointless thing to do, regarless this 'bug' is fixed or not. That's why I said, nah.

Dex-chan lover
@MavB_Ver ah, then I see. I disagree (cause reporting it brings visibility to the bug), but I see your point now.

@blackyawgdom It is an intended feature that all readers get spammed with unavailable chapters a few times a day? Sorry to say, but I disagree. Presenting the average user with linkages that lead to errors tend to be considered as a bug and should be submitted with a bug-report (unless the user specifically requested them, ie with a search filter).
Also, not entirely sure, but I suspect you described it incorrectly - once a mod approves it looks to me as if a new chapter is published, as it gets a brand-new entry in the updates feed (or at least the timestamp is changed for sure, alongside the sorting order in the feed). I haven't verified this by checking if the url/id is changed though, or if it is technically still same id and the feed is merely given a new entry, so I might be incorrect about this.

@feha The average reader doesnt have "Show Unavailable Chapters" set to on so they dont see anything. Dont complain about a feature that you have to enable.

Its also not a bug, working as intended.

Dex-chan lover
@blackyawgdom there is a setting for that? I definitely never enabled one at least, lemme check if it fixes the issue... Hmm, I find a "Unavailable chapters: Hide", but the only other option I can select is "Show (for tracking purposes", which I highly doubt would start hiding them.

Fed-Kun's army
@feha
What can be the bug: you can't comment on those chapters nor reporting them.
What is not the bug: those chapters appear in your feed.

They are not failed to be deleted. They are in pending to be reviewed, manually, by mods. Upon being rejected, yes they will be cleanly deleted. Upon being approved, they will become visible to everyone.
The mods know, they just doesn't have time to work on all of the pending chapters yet. You reporting those chapters doesn't change anything, aside from wasting your own time and possibly the the mods time.

Fed-Kun's army
Ah no, it seems it's reoccuring (or not?) regardless of the settings in https://mangadex.org/updates
Yes, devs should look into this so that it won't appear on that page anymore.

Looks like I own you one. Greatly sorry, @feha

Dex-chan lover
@MavB_Ver As is evident by black pointing out that there even is a setting for hiding them that is on by default (aka what I have), the fact that they (both kinds) show up anyway should definitely be considered a bug. As this goes against an explicit setting.
Even without it, I would however consider it a bug, for the reasons I mentioned prior (you say it yourself, they are pending to be seen by mods, not users).

But yes, this thread is about the ones that only exist in the /updates/ url, without presence in neither ToC, comment-section, or anywhere else. Which it sounds like you agree is a bug (cant comment or report)?
The reason I assume them to stem from failing to be deleted (which, again, is just a guess), is because the ones still pending mod-review iirc do exist in the ToC, iirc do display which manga they belong to in the side-panel, and have a linked comment-thread. Which makes it look like the system did attempt to clean up at least some of the links. So yes, you may indeed be right that I am incorrect as to their cause (though I doubt they are caused by the same issue as the thing I prior termed "the referenced bug").

edit: no worries, discussions should be made, as too many bug reports are just ppl who forgot to plug in their computer ;) I dont begrudge beign questioned

Fed-Kun's army
@feha
To be clear though, I never said you shouldn't report the bugs. What you shouln't report are the xhapters.

Dex-chan lover
@MavB_Ver There is no other way to report bugs though? Unless you count this subforum, but I tend to assume built-in bug-report functionality is preferred over an actual forum post (that from experience with other forums are never seen by anything else than "community managers" with a copy-pasted non-response, anyway), particularly as it retains linkage to where the bug might be reproduced, and possibly sends along logs too

Fed-Kun's army
@feha
For particular issues with the chapters, yes. For the sitewide bugs, use this forum.

So to reiterate, chapters that show up as "unavailable" are because they're uploaded by people that don't have permission yet and the mods have to approve of them?
Because I'm seeing a lot of recent uploads that have unavailable chapters right now.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
They're not meant to show up unless you have unavailable chapters enabled, and I can't reproduce the issue on my end.

Fed-Kun's army
@BraveDude8
Going by incognito mode, with guest account and filter set to Englisg. I can still see the pending chapter of World Teacher (of course it doesn't have the unavailable mark so it's easy to miss)

Ohhh, I see: the sheet with an x on it is for unavailable...
Then to go on a sidenote from that: why is it up if it's unavailable? Does it mean they're working on translating it to uplpad later? 🤔
If this needs to go somewhere else to discuss, lemme know and link please.

chapters are unavailable for 1 of a few reasons.
1. The uploader is in the queue pending aproval.
2. the group pulled their chapters from MD
3. Takedown request was issued (For One Punch Man, and a couple others)
4. The chapters are by a group that doesnt want MD to use their chapters, but MD staff uploads them and marks them as Unavailable (For Tracking Purposes, or if they change their mind which has happened)

Users who are viewing this thread