Everything Was a Mistake - Ch. 22

@Serinasan He's really not that villainous. Everything he did was out of self-preservation. The fact that he never experienced being loved made him also lose a lot of his human feelings of compassion. If he didn't meet Valrose as a child, he would have lost his humanity completely but even her he could never trust because he thought she was the way she was through hypnosis. It's actually so angsty and wonderful.

@xaviers_ego I think the story-Nocton is messing things, because that's not this timeline's Nocton but he's seeping through?

@Bisami There's a lot to say but I'll just say one thing: She didn't visibly get angry with him because if that made her seem like a villainess, she would be executed. She knows she was being fake and like lady Bourdain or whatever but she had no choice because she didn't want the ML to kill her.

@Midydoof In his defense, except Valrose and Alice, everyone he hypnotized was wishing him harm. From a young age that was his life. Of course he wants to force the only person he cares about to not abandon him after such a hard life. Are his morals twisted? Yeah, that's the story.

@Syhiro Why would she let him talk when she knows he's dishonest based on her trustworthy friend's testimony?

@Redsister But she was his friend? That's why she's so heartbroken. She ended up liking as a friend the person she befriended for the sake of survival. She never told him off because she didn't want to die but she was sad over everything that made her think he didn't care too. The tea, the birthday present. You complain about her being his salvation but you also complain that she's not guiding him. Btw she has no way to know his morals are screwed. She just thinks he's testing her because he's an ass. How could she even begin to think she can guide someone who is being an ass for fun? She has no other context.

He ended up genuinely liking the person he only let approach him because he thought he could control her. They both feel terribly about their actions but they also know they didn't have much choice at the time. Nocton because he's always being targeted by others and Valrose because she was trying to stay alive.

@mintcinno But she fully knows she used him? She acknowledged she's just like lady Bourdain (the blonde). The only difference being she actually liked Nocton and they began being actual friends since she had no ill will. She was trying to avoid her villainess end.

@misto713 Thank you! He was literally a child who had no one on his side protecting him, not even the servants. His powers are literally a result of how much his parents hated him. Of course he's messed up. Of course he'd use those powers to his advantage because he has no reason to understand what mercy is.

@Eclat123 Guys, are we reading the same series? Because they both really liked each other.

@Ceereus Just wanted to say, those were some lovely~ points you made! I'd like to say we're reading the same series, and it's intriguing because of the angst <3 A lot of the characters' actions were rather rational in the context of the story, and imo, it's that much more of a good read because of it :))

Ezk

man too much angst and lack of communication, but i think it's logical. It's not only "we misunderstood each other because i didn't say i like you".

@xinqi_kiki It's angsty in the best way possible 😍 No one is truly a villain but the misunderstandings are too deep to be easily resolved. Isn't that fun?

@ceereus
How can she be his savior if she won’t guide him to become a better person? I mean I’m confused by this story, is she supposed to be his savior or not?

So far they are both toxic for each other.

He would kill her when they are adults, if she won’t change him, then what’s the point in getting closer to him, if he doesn’t change, her outcome might be the same.

About the tea, she just got upset (understandable), never made tea for him again. seems every time he did something bad, she just gave up on him.

I also don’t understand him, just call her by her name already, what’s the point in this point in time not to call her name. He already “lost her” anyway.

I’m just kinda confused has to what I’m supposed to root for?

I don’t feel like this story is about miss understandings anymore.

@Redsister She's not supposed to be his saviour, you guys were saying that she is the salvation/only salvation for the ML. Any saving she did was by just being someone he could connect with when he was still young enough to not become the villain of the novel. It's like a disadvantaged student who had one good teacher to inspire them. It's not really "saving" because she was being a normal childhood friend. The writer just seems to show them being cozy, nothing deep. It's only deeper in the sense that they both genuinely care about each other. Thus all the hurt feelings when either of them has evidence the other doesn't truly feel the same way. Nocton when he thinks she's acting based on his mind control. Valrose when she thinks he's testing her or playing games.

I don't really see any toxicity? They haven't done anything to each other except maybe Nocton trying to end her engagement. There's a bit of drama but not really much in terms of toxic behaviour.

The point of getting closer to him: because an attempt at not becoming a villainess is better than waiting to die?

She didn't give up on him. Actually, she was really persistent (6? 8? 10 years?) but of course she's not going to allow him to hurt her in the same way.

He's still calling her Valrose because he is desperate not to lose her. He obviously doesn't think it's a complete lost cause because 1. he knows she's not in love and 2. she's not married yet.

It's a romance so rooting for the main couples to get together is my guess lol

It's not a typical misunderstanding story because all the characters believe in really extreme yet completely irreconcilable truths. They all have a good reason to believe in what they believe yet they're all missing significant pieces of the story that would change what they believe. The leads truly believe their feelings were never returned. Nocton: thinks he only had Valrose in his life because of magic. Valrose: thinks Nocton was only playing games with her. They're both hurting because they were good friends but their circumstances make them feel insecure. To complicate things, Alice can see the future but her power seems to have major blindspots that are kind of impossible to even imagine. Like the fact that Nocton was always acting from self-defense etc. To further complicate things, Valrose remembers Nocton killed her off in the novel to gain a political advantage. She has no reason to think this Nocton cares about her and couldn't be more different from novel-Nocton in his attitude towards Valrose.

I'm just going to c/p this in every chapter comment section. This webtoon is so interesting and unique in how twisted the plot is and it deserves kinder comments!

@Ceereus Yes she acknowledged it. That’s where the hypocrisy kicks in. She knows she did him wrong too, but she’s here preaching to him about what is right and what is wrong.

Honestly, they have never communicated with one another, she doesn’t know anything about him besides the knowledge she has from the novel and others, who gave her the right to do that? The only right she has is to tell him get off her back, stop following her like a crazy bastard and leave her alone.

And no I’m not on his side either, he’s a crazy ass psycho but I’m not gonna say he’s in the wrong cause he’s got a lot of reasons to his actions too.

The way I see it, this is one toxic ass relationship and I don’t know how the author is going to make this ship work. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@ceereus

She shouldn’t be a savior per se, but what is she really ? I don’t see her as a friend, more of a companion.

Yes she persisted to go to his house for almost a decade, yet when Alice told her about his family it was all news to her.

She even kissed her “fiancé “ on the chick , has been moren playful and more supporting of him that she ever was towards Nocton from what I could see.
She was there physically for Nocton , but not emotionally.

So her solution of not being killed by Nocton should have been to stay as far away as possible from him.
She put herself in his line of sight. if she wasn’t gonna do anything to change him , why put herself in danger by being by his side in the first place ?
Why keep going back to his house willingly, knowing that he might do something mean to her, if she wasn’t gonna do anything to stop him from doing it.
she alone put herself in that situation, that’s why I don’t but that she was afraid to tell him off.
Only one time she kinda guided him in the most awkward time ... when she told him not to kill the bug when he even wasn't intending too, living him pretty confused by her statement, although he did seemed to fallow her words.

For him , I think he confuses the time his family left him in peace because she was there, to her, herself making him feel in peace.

Both of them need a neutering significant other, and neither of them is neutering... that’s why they are toxic for each other.

Nocton should just start a new life somewhere away from all the people he wronged and the people who harmed him.
But sadly he is too attached to a person who was never there for him.

I like those romantic stories with angst, this one has angst , but I don’t feel any romance so far... still I’m curious has how things are gonna turn out.

@cosmiccat1543

i understand what you mean but for me, with manipulation, the person still have free will to actually choose and even if the person end up being manipulated, there is possibility they will realise their mistake and can actually do something about it.

but with brainwashing, its 100% no free will anymore. you are just doing what the brainwasher wanted and u cant control your own self and mind anymore. if the caster want u to be their pet for your whole life, then whats the option of u hv? nada.

thats why i still feel what ml did is worse than whatever else fl/ the kids trying to do to him. (of course, im not saying shes all innocent either, theres plenty of fault in everyones way of doing stuff in this manhwa, its just that ml's action is, from my view, already crossed the moral boundaries that i believe in.

And the fact that he just release the girl from his magic, after years? doesnt make him easily forgiven. especially when i believe he still think that fl is under his magic still (with the way he calls her surname only).

Is he repentant? i highly doubt it. in my view, he is just releasing her as he no longer has any use of her, and possibly to avoid further issues with fl since the girl keep trying to hv a fight with fl.

with the way he is currently, i am obviously not gonna ship him with fl. but im honestly curious how the author will turn it around. (im still a sucker for happy ending, so am gonna put some hope still that this ml is redeemable, but i just not able to see how author will do that)

In the last chapter, ML actively called someone's name to break his control and she collapsed without getting up. There might be some long term consequences for being under it.

Any sense that he's trying not to do that to FL by not calling her name? He certainly seems to not be questioning her rebellious attitude so much since he has this power to actively control people.

I can't tell if these little details are intentional or not though. Its either sloppy writing with that loophole or next level because he's not trying to control the FL despite his own nature.

Its two rocks. Hes stuck. Its weird and im conflicted.

I love the discussion on this thread! The novel holds more details that the manhwa skipped over/left out/changed. I see the Duke as a dark hero. But yeah, I’m not surw how the romance part will play out, though.

Ugh...I hate when chapters end like that.
Anyway, thanks for the chapter and all the hard work translating hope to see more soon. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread