Father, I Don't Want This Marriage! - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Double-page supporter
Im really curious what the father was thinking when he gave her a sword. Like wtf dude

It would hit hard if it's the time travel.....
"Endure it" he said. There's more to it for sure and when the prince said he won't kill her. I'm sure there's a reason behind it

And time travel would hit harder 😭 because the original would be there to see all of this unfold, all the answer she sought. All the love she deserved 😔

Ooo i remember reading the promo...Also the guy straight up looks generic. I mean there's a trend for hot black haired dude with red eyes and not because that's bad . I can just hope he's well written. Sadly there isn't any appeal for me. But oh well

Oh! I really love the prologue! It's rare to read the OG person ending in 1st pov It made it feels more tragic

@wf2808 Agreed, but if we're talking about it realistically and logically, she perhaps would be depressed if she got reincarnated. And the prince actually said he'd torture her before she tells the truth so I think death is a better choice at tht rate. Also personally I find writing mostly abt how to tell aside from writing basic plot so ig it's ok... no?

@farhvt What are you expecting them to think about if it's not "Why did it become like this"? "Man I wish I'd died earlier?" Tell that to severely depressed people and you'll kill them in no time. Congratz, now I'd want to know what you might think if you end up in such a situation. What thought will you have if it's not "Why did it become like this?" I bet you're either a pampered kid or a fortunate person who is surrounded by many amazing people.

Fine, fine. It's generic. As generic as your life. Like, seriously, I don't get why many people keep on complaining about stuff that's even hinted at in the description, it's like you're just here to flex and say, "bruh, I can write better than this!" instead of really R E A D I N G. Do you even write stories? Because to me, this so-called "generic" has handled its premise better than many other stories with the same "settings"

Why don't you as well go around tell the others who were born in a broken family and say "Man, you're such a cliche! Don't you know that million people also have their parents go through divorce and stuff? Stop crying man, you're pathetic!"
But I don't know anything about you. Perhaps you are one of those people and this offends you but if that's really the case, then you really oughta know better. Getting hurt doesn't mean you have to hurt others. Even if you're trying to give a critique, you should have included a better solution instead of just ranting.

Critique /krɪˈtiːk/: a detailed analysis and assessment of something, especially a literary, philosophical, or political theory

There ARE quite a few villainess stories that get low ratings because it's just as cliche as isekai genres you mentioned, but not for those that make good use of its plot devices. Also, this is just the first chapter, and the plot is so far intriguing. As mentioned in many comments below mine, it uses 1st person pov, which focuses on emotions. Some example series I'd recommend are Death is The Only Ending for The Villainess and Beware of The Villainess

People don't bash Isekai Genres for no reason. If you take a look at the most current ones, then you'd see how bland they are. Yeah, some of them are OK, but only for 1-5 panels, then you'll have absolutely bland, overpowered MCs with personalities worse than a game MC's. It's like they're trying to completely copy series like Isekai manga like Mushoku Tensei, That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime but without any plot device. It's like a canvas with only one solid RGB color, and that's it. But well, Time Travel series with this kind of rating don't feel that way. Well, for now. Look at Slave B. It had a higher rating a long time ago, about 8 or 9 I think, but bruh, the most recent chapters are like friendly fires.

Fed-Kun's army
like i said in the promo series; i think maybe the dad didnt want her to commit suicide and the prince wasn't planning to actually torture her? i mean i guess the prince is the love interest (i think?) so obviously he wouldnt be horrible to her, but i wonder what their thoughts were with the original jubelian...

Tragic :(

I agree that there seems to be more to the story. The sword the father gave, as well as the crown prince coming. What do they all mean? Well I'll read the next ones so I'll see haha.

Edit: i was reading other versions and.. shouldn't swords not work inside that room??? Interesting

After that second "I didn't do it" I stopped, opened YouTube in a second tab, searched up "Cell Block Tango", turned it on and started reading the chapter again. Surprisingly, the song works wonderfully with the pacing and, while the chapter is supposed to be tragic, it gives it a different sort of tune that is peculiarly fitting.

Aggregator gang
I feel like maybe the prince wasn't actually there to torture her, but to somehow help her instead.
His threats might've been an act to get in there.

I feel like she misunderstood her father. I feel like she was given a sword to protect herself, not to stab her with it. Though I don't understand why the Crown Prince came to her cell.

Anyway, I like this!

I dont think my first instinct would be to attack myself, but rather the person coming to hurt me...maybe that father gave her that weapon for protection

Back in from ch. 12, i think i understand why the crown prince behaving like that
not to torture her, but to help her because she is his teacher's adored daughter
and why the father give her a sword
not to do suicide and actually to protect her
ㅠㅠ [IMO]

aargh this is really painful

OH and i think the one that poisoned the imperial princess
is that Mikhail guy :mad:, bcs he is greedy with power
[IMO]

@32oiru you gave me a lot to talk about for sure.

First of all, this is MangaDex, if I wanted to review something I wouldn't be doing it here. There's a difference between an actual critique and a rant, as you said. Comments aren't meant for critiques, so you're wrong for even trying to argue against something which, in the end, is MY opinion.

For the first point you gave me, if you look at any villainess manga, you will always see confusion and regret. I know they're common emotions if you're going to die, but the writers present it as something very impactful, which is not after you have read the same line more times than you can count. I'm going to take examples from my favorite in the villainess genre, https://mangadex.org/title/17720/koushaku-reijou-no-tashinami, where rather than starting us off with regret, it becomes acceptance and her trying to make the best of the situation. It also didn't start her off before her doom, but rather during it, which made for an interesting scenario which felt fresh.

For you talking about real life, this is not real life, this is a manhwa. Life is generic, and that's why we (at least me) read these kinds of things. I don't want to be dropped into something generic if I'm trying to escape from my own generic life.

For the second point, there was nothing outstanding about this plot that deserves it, especially since every manhwa does it. Because of what I've seen in the comments, people here are rating this well not because it has a good story, but rather because of the copious amounts of melodrama it has appeals to the readers emotions. Again, going back to Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami, it doesn't have nearly as much drama, but rather it opens up with enough worldbuilding to draw you in to the story and it doesn't even fall into the cliché of either a doting or uncaring father. They managed to create 3-dimensional characters rather than use common tropes. It's sort of like lust vs. love, whereas this manhwa just attempts to appeal through cheapshot attempts of emotion and good character art, Koushaku draws you in with full characters that you want to follow and learn more about.

With your third point, I already explained this but the emotions are just cliche. It's a sob story, with nothing making it impactful since it's been overused and I haven't gotten invested in the character to care, example being the "How could you do this to me?!" Since you wanted to compare to real life, it's like hearing that someone I never knew died and one of my close family members dying on me. With Koushaku, we didn't get her backstory until we were already invested in her, which only made us love her character more. This manhwa is lackluster in story and you probably just enjoy the melodrama too much to notice.

Why did you add the recs? What purpose did they serve? I've read Beware of the Villainess and I did enjoy it, but it serves no purpose towards your argument. It took itself on as a parody comedy which is not at all representative of this manhwa. Also Death is the Only ending turned it into a game with limited chat options which added enough for intrigue, since she can't take any other options. This manhwa doesn't have any of the thoughtfulness to compare to those titles, which brought their own unique characters and ideas into the mix instead of a copy of all the other villainess stories.

One thing about your response which I found hilarious was the fact that you had the balls to diss me for not making a critique but you decided to attack me, saying stuff like "I'm sheltered" and whatnot even though I'm not. That doesn't seem very professional for someone who's complaining that I'm not being professional in a comment section.

All in all, I can give a critique if I really wanted to, but this is a comment section and not MyAnimeList. The story was bland and the characters were just tropes with no real depth towards them. The art being good and the sob stories they included are the only reason why this is able to entice readers, which is not a characteristic of good writing, but instead of someone trying to milk the genre. This is just a wholly lackluster work.

Users who are viewing this thread