Father, I Don't Want This Marriage! - Vol. 1 Ch. 19

Fed-Kun's army
@MurphySlaw I believe if you look at his expressions when he is being soft and then the cuts to how his face appears when it is shown from the perspective of the MC. I do not believe the father had a single clue that he was neglecting his daughter but it was the daughter misunderstanding the intentions of the stupid father. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say in the original timeline the crown prince was supposed to bust her out of the prison and the father gave her the dagger with the intention of her defending herself if something went wrong during the escape. The problem is, of course, the father didn't know that his daughter thought that her father hated her and that he was neglecting her leading her to believe the purpose of the dagger was for suicide. I'd love to read the story of the tragic aftermath of the original timeline. That was probably end-game where the crown prince and the duke were going to murder the emperor.

It's so incredibly irrational that everyone but the daughter knows the duke loves her that you have to suspend your disbelief. With the way this duke's logic goes, would you even be surprised at all if the duke found out that the other prince was a piece of shit so he devised this whole plan and enlisted the help of the "heroine" to seduce the other prince to get his daughter away from the prince and planned out the whole poison incident as a convoluted ploy to put his daughter in prison to protect her from the emperor?

@MurphySlaw
Part of it is that the Dad is just severely, socially awkward and doesn't know how to connect with her it seems. However there is a reason why the Dad keeps on obeying the King.

(Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.)

From what I gathered from the novel spoilers is that the Dad accidentally signed his autonomy away to the King via a magical contract. You'll notice the comic is constantly showing images of the King's blue ring whenever he's on screen and talking about the Dad. The ring is the physical symbol of that contract. The Dad can't disobey the King's orders, and he desperately doesn't want his daughter to be caught up in his mess by allowing the King to know how much she means to him. He's basically in a no-win situation because either he neglects his daughter and tries to keep her safe, or he spoils her like he wants and the King ends up having more leverage on him. It's implied this contract is part of the reason why his wife died as well, so he has even more of a reason to keep his daughter at arm's length after that happened.

Apparently according to the spoilers, in the book timeline after his daughter killed herself (the knife was so she could protect herself until he could rescue her) the shock of losing her allowed the Dad to finally break free from the King's control. He then went on a murderous rampage and slew the King in revenge.

@Kingdo
The duke know that and cannot let the emperor know his weakness. So he is cold to his daughter to protect her from the emperor.
But that didn't work. The emperor knows that she is his weakness. And he has known and used that fact for quite some time. And according to the Prince all the father every talks about his how much he loves his daughter. She in fact is supposedly the only person who doesn't know how much her father loves her.

The change between the first timeline and now is Juveline cry after her break up with Mickail.
Sure, but we were shown that she often cried because he was away. So why could he ignore her suffering for years, but this specific instance made him change his mind?

Dex-chan lover
@MurphySlaw
He probably didn't know her suffering in the first timeline. He know now cause he cross a maid this time.

For the emperor I don't know more than this.
If you want more spoiler go read this

@Phylyra I could not agree more! It feels like she is being gaslighted and nobody is telling her how her father feels even though it's obvious she doesn't know it. I fear that at least once in this story someone will critisise her for not knowing how her father feels about her, when in reality she has No way of knowing.

@ Hobnobs
I do not believe the father had a single clue that he was neglecting his daughter
With all due respect, he did not attend a single birthday of his daughter. When she wanted to spend time with him he told her to fuck off. All the maids knew just how much she was hurting. There is absolutely no way he did not know that he was hurting her.

and planned out the whole poison incident as a convoluted ploy to put his daughter in prison to protect her from the emperor?
I actually had the theory that he wanted his daughter in that prison because I thought the emperor had a spell cast on her, and according to the description "no magic can enter the shadow room" or something like that. Together with him not killing the emperor "because it's not time yet" I thought the plan was to kill the emperor while the mc was in that room, get the prince on the throne and then get her back out. Sadly that is not the case.

Double-page supporter
@Phylyra thanks, you said everything I wanted to say.

I don't get why so many people try to defend the father, when his idea of "protecting" someone is so hurtful. It's clear that whatever hold the king has over him, the prince and him believe he can overthrow the king and he's just biding his time. But while he spent nearly twenty years waiting for the right time to kill the bastard he himself helped keep on the throne, his daughter grew up neglected. So he's prioritizing the stability of the realm and the well being of other people over just getting things over with and saving his daughter. And we're told he used to be just a regular soldier, not a duke, so it's not even that he has a long family history to uphold or deep ties to the empire. He could murder the king, take his daughter, and escape to another country if necessary. But despite apparently "sacrificing" so much for her, he's never contemplated that?

We're not even told what exactly he has had to sacrifice "for his daughter".
From the spoilers I read, it seems the one the king has a hold on is him directly, not his daughter, and hiding his love for his daughter is meant to prevent the king from using her against him. I haven't quite understood why the king would need to murder the people he loves (it seems like that just makes him more hated), or more realistically why he would need to even threaten them if he can literally control him through magic.
And it seems pointless, since everyone around him seems to know he loves her anyway, so why would he be cold to her and not just tell her the truth, since so many other people already know it.

Also, he's been cold to "protect" her, but then he acts like they had a great relationship and invites her to dinner or going shopping or whatever. Like he doesn't understand how uncomfortable that would be to someone you have purposefuly neglected. His plan was to have her think he didn't love her, but then he conveniently forgets that she thinks he doesn't love her and forces her to spend time with him with no explanation.

Plus the whole acting like this is the first he hears that his daughter was sad about not him not being around. We just saw the maid's flashback of her as a child crying specifically because she was lonely, plus all the other scenes of her growing up ever more sullen as he ignored every significant event in her life, including her debutante which would be a formal event where his presence was required by ettiquette, even if they had a bad relationship. But now he cares? He ignored the tears of the most adorable toddler ever, but suddenly he can be a caring father?

Plus, what gives him the right to interfere with whoever she chose to accompany her, after letting Mikhail mistreat her so long? Did he never hear about things like Mikhail showing up three hours late to an appointment for no reason? If he didn't hear about it, then obviously he didn't "secretly care", he was just neglectful. If he did hear but allow it, then why would he now terrorize a guy for not appearing to be proper? I mean sure, he looks like a playboy, but we don't know his actual personality, and the maids had already filtered the list of candidates. He probably hasn't had any scandals, which should put him well ahead of Mikhail who actively mistreated her.

@mycatisblackandtan

He's basically in a no-win situation because either he neglects his daughter and tries to keep her safe, or he spoils her like he wants and the King ends up having more leverage on him.
The only problem is that the king clearly already knows how much she mean to him, and that in the current timeline he clearly is spoiling her.
The prince could also just kill the king at any moment. He only did not because the father asked him not to. If either of them wanted the king dead, he would be dead within a day.

So instead of getting rid of a tyrant, keeping his daughter safe and not being an abusive father he keeps on the worst possible course of action for literally everyone (but the king).

I'm so confused if he loves his daughter this much why did he punish her in the first timeliness

@Amamoo
I think he wanted to give her something to protect herself with, not to kill herself with it.
That was my impression even in the first chapter...

@Kynnath

From what I gathered the father cannot go against the king
because of a magical contract
Which shouldn't matter, because the Prince can still just kill the king. But didn't. For reasons.
He could murder the king, take his daughter, and escape to another country if necessary.
He wouldn't even need to flee. Everyone loves him. And everyone hates the king. I don't remember the chapter, but it was said that the only reason the majority of the country isn't actively trying to overthrow the king is because he has the support of the mc's father.

Father basically chose the worst path possible for himself, his daughter and the entire country.

And don't get me started on the past and original timeline. Not even a "I believe you didn't do it" or even just a "Everything will be fine" before throwing her a dagger and yeeting her into prison? Completely ignoring your child's suffering? Ignoring every important even in her life? Fuck him. He does not deserve sympathy or even redemption.

@Amamoo no he did not punish her. He did it to protect the mc.

spoiler ahead!!
The shadow room was the safest place for the mc at that time as no weapons and magic can enter. He gave the sword (?) to mc for her to protect herself from any possible harm. Max, the crown prince, enter the shadow room, as order from his teacher, which is mcs father, to protect her in exchange of aiding the him to dethrone the emperor. But mc misunderstood it, and instead killed herself. Her father loved her so much that he was a puppet of the emperor. In his eyes, the mc is and always been innocent. (Not sure about the innocent part, but that was what I remembered)

@MurphySlaw i dont think the prince can kill the king with the mc father as his guard. The mc father is within the fingers of the emperor (literally 😂) if he could murder the king, he could have done it before when the mc mother died. But he did not. Because he can’t. The emperor binds the father
with the ring
he can only kill the king when he is out of his mind
which what happened in the previous timeline. The king cannot control the father as he went insane after finding about his daughters death.
What they both need is communication. Her father always believed she was so innocent & (and from what I believed) was doted on, and on the other hand, the mcs believed he was hated by his father (lack of attention). 😪

@thaynii

i dont think the prince can kill the king with the mc father as his guard
But the Father is not constantly acting as the kings guard. In fact the only reason he was called to the kings palace was because the prince intentionally missed the killing shot. Had the prince wanted the king dead, he would have died right then and there. The only reason he didn't die was because Father told the prince that the time is not right.

What they both need is communication.
No, they don't. At this point there is nothing the father could do to make up for abusing the mc for as long as she can remember.

Woah this is so unexpectedly good
I thought it was just gonna be another those revenge stories which I think it's getting overused lately and I was quite tired of reading them
But this is something new, and contrary to what some of the commenters here are saying I actually enjoy the misunderstandings, while the comedy is sometimes a bit too much it's still funny and enjoyable nonetheless 😆
And I like how the author played out the MCs' relationship in the beginning and how they ended up forming a weird relationship because of 'another' misunderstanding 🤣🤣
I'm excited to see the time when all these misunderstandings clear out and I hope there'll be no love rival added in the mid of the story *prays heavily*
And I heard it's already licensed by tappytoon despite it's just been out in kakao for days 👏👏 congratz
And thanks for the mass release as well ❤️

Users who are viewing this thread