Father, I Don't Want This Marriage!

Why there so many scanlations teams for this manga😖...it’s confusing me whenever this manga updates

While I do like most things about this manhwa (the art, the plot, Juvel and her father (I still have issues with him, though)), I cannot STAND either male lead (I don't really consider Mikhail [blond douche bag] a lead but I do want to talk about him as well). I usually never comment but I just don't understand why there's love for Max (black-haired ML) and here's why (rant incoming, please be advised if you don't want to read further):

|Max's Critique:|
+Max is obsessive-possessive over Juvel's father. He believes they have a deep connection and are the only two that understand each other. Why??? Because Juvel's dad sort of raised him after his mother died? He literally became his mentor/father figure because his mom asked him to. Now I could understand Max feeling familial love and gratitude towards Juvel's dad, BUT he takes it too far by wanting to essentially monopolize him. He even thinks if he MURDERS HIS DAUGHTER his mentor would be GLAD and THANKFUL. He believes if he KILLED her (will expand on this in a bit) the father would go back to being miserable, edgy, and brooding like he is and they could be a sad, angry, homicidal family again.

+As I said before, Max wants to KILL Juvel simply because she exists. He had EVERY INTENTION TO DO SO; he literally crept into HER BEDROOM in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT with plans to MURDER her. The only reason she didn't die is because she woke up and played off his INTRUSION. She trusts him (he's her father's disciple, after all); but she has NO IDEA that he planned to ASSASSINATE her. I don't think she would be so nice, sweet, and welcoming if she knew what he was thinking about. The fact that he believed he could just kill her off with essentially no consequences (as in he wouldn't be TORTURED and KILLED by her father once he discovered the truth) is INSANE to me. The DISRESPECT and AUDACITY of this boy FLABBERGASTS me beyond human comprehension. So the fact that he's being a "tsundere" now that she doesn't seem to be afraid of him (and he also suddenly realizes how drop dead gorgeous she is) does NOT make him redeemable or cute in my eyes. Because he genuinely believed Juvel should die and was going to be the one to kill her, I will never like him or think he's a suitable ML.

+He constantly talks down to Juvel and is very rude and condescending. She's tried to be polite to him (many times) but to no avail. He treats her with disdain and borderline hatred. He BROKE INTO HER PRIVATE CHAMBERS WHILE SHE WAS SLEEPING and was a huge asshole when she seemed tired after being 1.) Woken up in the middle of the night and 2.) Probably had an adrenaline rush from fear before she realized he was "harmless" and was crashing. I don't know about y'all, but that behavior isn't really charming or sexy to me. ON TOP OF THAT, he has PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED Juvel (ch.12 or 13 when she tries to wake him and he pushes her down hard enough to leave BRUISES on her skin) and has OPENLY THREATENED HER LIFE (ch.10 or 11 when the guards outside of her room ask if she's alright and Max PUTS A SWORD TO HER THROAT to warn her about giving away his intrusion). Again, not my cup of tea but I digress.

|Mikhail's Critique:|
+We all know Mikhail is trash. He's obsessive-possessive over Juvel because 1.) He was
**!!SPOILER!!** tasked by the Emperor to trick her into loving him
and 2.) He believes Juvel can only desire HIM since he's the center of her world. He's delusional and psychotic; Mikhail thinks Juvel is his PROPERTY. He truly believes he OWNS her even though he has NEVER loved her in return and also treats her with disdain. He has constantly rejected her in some form but the INSTANT she stops paying attention to him, like a spoiled child he throws temper tantrums and wants to "punish" Juvel for ignoring him when that's all he's done to her.

+(This is where I may lose some of y'all, but that's okay, lol. If you've read up until this point I appreciate it even if you don't/didn't agree with me. I'm also not looking to argue; I just wanted to share my thoughts because I feel very strongly about all this.) ... So, I am in no ways a "Mikhail apologist"; I hate him just as I hate Max. But the thing is, as of right now (based on everything I've read thus far) I don't think I hate him as much. That doesn't mean I don't; that also doesn't mean I support him as the ML because I DO NOT. He's a very bad person and he can f*ck off with the actual ML. My point is: Seeing as how Mikhail hasn't expressed that he wants to KILL Juvel/hasn't actually TRIED to kill her (again, he's still terrible and I hate him; I also know he's crazy and gross) like Max has done, I can't say I despise him just as much as the ML. All in all, I don't believe either of these men are suitable love interests for Juvel; I just wish this story had an actual decent ML candidate OR I wish the writing focused more on the healing of Juvel's relationship with her father (boy oh boy, he needs to be more f*cking honest because I am NOT happy with his behavior either).

Aaanyways, thank you so much if you've made it this far down! I'm sorry for ranting but I just needed to get this off my chest because it's been nagging at me, lol. It may not seem like it, but I do really enjoy this manhwa (mostly because of Juvel and her dad). Here's to the author(s)/artist(s); cheers~! 🍻

Although the art style is absolutely gorgeous the plot isn’t sticking with me. There isn’t anything interesting happening and some parts are just straight up annoying. I like romance but I think the plot should matter a bit more and not be so one dimensional. Like I don’t find myself longing to know more about any of the characters. I might just continue this story just because of the art tho

the mental backflips she has to do to convince herself that her dad doesn't care about her, honestly tiring to read

I think before the daughter died in the first life her father gave her a sword not to kill herself but to protect herself and wait for the ML to come and safe her.

I haven't read till the latest chapter. . but am I right?

I can't stop laughing and grinning after knowing the truth XD XD XD
Thank you for your hard work.

@topinfinity I was literally thinking the same. even with the cover art, I thought he was one of the MLs. at least give him some wrinkles to show his age 😓

any who, art is gorgeous! thank you for translating

Oh my god I just realised that maybe the
reason why the Duke gave her the knife was to defend herself, because he said "endure it", and she misunderstood him, because he was going to save her I'm the future
. If this turns out to be true imma cry

stopped at chapter 17 since the misunderstanding is starting- though they both misunderstood each other in the past [life] & seems the author is using misunderstandings as a plot device ;-; I also read a comment earlier stating that they read the novel last year & the author is indeed kind of dragging the story with all the misunderstandings & is using it as a way of advancing the story ;-;

will most likely continue this in a year or so, after letting the chapters pile up, though I guess by that time, I should definitely reread it from the beginning. I love reading manhwas focusing on father-daughter relationships so I'm definitely gonna come back regardless of the frustrations the misunderstandings give me ;-;

edit. after reading through the comments, I did think back in the early chapters that
the duke gave her that sword/dagger to protect herself. I didn't expect that she'd use it to kill herself instead- but of course, we need something to build up the story, it had to happen... ;-;

It's unexpectedly has a good plot. I'm not sure with the draggy part but the sensation this webtoon gives me is the same as when I read "Death is the Only Ending for Vilainness". Both have serious tone that enough to draw me in—at least for now.

Note : the daddy is hot more than other male lead (?). Simp.

Would recommend for people looking for an easy read and some shenanigans.

Would not recommend for people looking for an actual plot and well rounded characters. Despite starting out like this would be an intense and intriguing race to prevent the FL's grim fate, the story so far has been very insubstantial. Its stretched a whole lot of nothing into 20 chapters and most of it is foolish and forced. Not to mention, the FL is not even a villainess and the isekai element is barely relevant so far. Maybe it'll get better when the plot picks up, but so far it's looking like it will keep dragging on.

I really hope elle’s cult will continue translating 😣 i heard that Cafe Vera dropped it but im not 100% sure. But either way I like it so far ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread