Fix the updates tab by only showing updates in a user's primary language.

Dex-chan lover
I can only read in English. Getting an update for a series only to see that it's in Ukrainian is annoying. I can't tell which titles have been updated in my language and which have been updated in other languages, until I individually click on them to check.

It would be convenient if I could change a setting so that my primary language is English and the updates tab only shows new additions in that language.

This should be clear enough as to what I'm suggesting.

Upvote 1

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
If you click your profile image top right on the main page, there is a "Chapter languages" field where you can select the languages you're interested in. That should filter the updates page to your needs

Double-page supporter
If you click your profile image top right on the main page, there is a "Chapter languages" field where you can select the languages you're interested in. That should filter the updates page to your needs
Is there any chance that "Library" would obey this filter in a reasonable time frame?

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
Is there any chance that "Library" would obey this filter in a reasonable time frame?
In which way? The language filter applies to chapters, the library lists manga.

Double-page supporter
In which way? The language filter applies to chapters, the library lists manga.
Isn't Library (https://mangadex.org/titles/follows) sorted by ANY update? Even if this update happened in language other than ones selected in language filter? I can be wrong of course but that's my current impression.

Edit: I checked some series. Freezing for example. Currently it placed in my Library somewhere between 20 days ago and last month. But in my selected languages Freezing was not updated for 2-4 years (yes, I checked every chapter). But when I turn off lang-filter it was updated "last month" in spanish. Spanish isn't my selected language, why does it affect library sorting?

Last edited:
Contributor
Isn't Library (https://mangadex.org/titles/follows) sorted by ANY update? Even if this update happened in language other than ones selected in language filter? I can be wrong of course but that's my current impression.

Edit: I checked some series. Freezing for example. Currently it placed in my Library somewhere between 20 days ago and last month. But in my selected languages Freezing was not updated for 2-4 years (yes, I checked every chapter). But when I turn off lang-filter it was updated "last month" in spanish. Spanish isn't my selected language, why does it affect library sorting?
For the most part you should just ignore the ordering of titles in your library. As far as I can tell it is sorted by the last time the title was updated, but that also includes changes to covers, alt titles, description, etc. Also the current form of Libraries is temporary and will get reworked into something like MDLists.

If you want to keep track of recent releases you should be using the Updates/Feed page.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
I usually do. But there's other "problems" I personally don't like :) Most notable is double/triple/more entries.

Like:

I understand the technical reasons but I don't find it pleasant :/
This doesn't happen on the follows page, entries are merged together when multiple chapters for the same series are fetched at once.

9yM1W1v.png

Note the chapter from yesterday being merged in with the most recent upload.

Dex-chan lover
entries are merged together when multiple chapters for the same series are fetched at once
I think his issue is that he wants just the updated manga in the library/search view without the list of which new chapters were added.

Double-page supporter
This doesn't happen on the follows page, entries are merged together when multiple chapters for the same series are fetched at once.
It doesn't happen for some short timeframe (not sure but let's say 3-5 days) but it definitely happen on longer periods.

DYKKOyo.jpg

and then about 15 entries later...

QZSNJrM.jpg

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
It doesn't happen for some short timeframe (not sure but let's say 3-5 days) but it definitely happen on longer periods.

And are all these releases on one page, or have you gone to the second page?

Contributor

DYKKOyo.jpg

QZSNJrM.jpg
I could be wrong but i believe the way the grouping works is by chaining chapters together with a max "depth".
So the Front end will look at a chapter and then look for another chapter belonging to the same title that has a release date less than X time ago (iirc i think its 3 days). If a chapter is found it will repeat the previous step using that chapter as the base until no chapters are found. Thats how you get a group. So if you get 3 chapters in a group its still possible for a 4th or more chapter to be released outside the look back window which would start a new grouping of chapters.

Note: I am ignoring how pagination may impact how the grouping occurs because it makes things more complicated.

Double-page supporter
And are all these releases on one page, or have you gone to the second page?

Yes, these are on secon page. As I said I understand technical reasons - the reason is these chapters don't fit in "Items Per Page" limit. But the real question is - why this second/third/whatever entry even exist? From first page I got that this series was updated, why does it continue to remind me again and again and again? That's redundant absolutely useless information, leave this space for other series :/

Suggestion: when creating update list for every new page remove series that were mentioned on all previous pages.

Are you sure you aren't mistaking the "Original Language" filter with the chapter language filter?
Why would I mistake such obvious things? Are you assuming this because there's more than single language flags on my screenshots? 🤨

Abolish Harems
Staff
Developer
Why would I mistake such obvious things? Are you assuming this because there's more than single language flags on my screenshots?
Because I can’t reproduce the issue you’re having, that’s why I’m making extra sure. If you change your chapter language filters while you’re on that page, are the contents updated live?

Contributor
Ya guys are mixing up different problems in this thread :kek:

• Original author (shadowtempestdemon) didn't set his Original Language filter.
Your fix is to set it as Alex pointed out here

• Second guy (BzzBzz) has 2 issues:
  1. No sorting of Library page ( https://mangadex.org/titles/follows )
  2. Appearance of titles twice of more times on different pages of Updates page ( https://mangadex.org/titles/feed ) (title is seen a single time on 1 page, but can be seen again on later pages)
For the first one yes, it is an issue and will be addressed in the future.
For the second one - it is not an issue and works as intended. It is basically a list of new chapters in chronological order grouped by titles for convenience.
You basically want a page with titles sorted by latest chapter (from your selected set of Original Languages) release date. That might be an option in Library page in the future, ask devs for more and better make a new suggestion thread.

• Then Alex comes in and responds to Original Poster and his problem with Original Language setting.
  • And Bzz guy thinks he is talking to him
  • And Alex then continues with thread's original problem in mind

Double-page supporter
How far do you go to read your updates ?
Up to 10 (or even more) pages since I sometimes "disappear" for 2-3 weeks/months 😎 Seeing same series again and again and again is a bit... weird.

Users who are viewing this thread