Fool Night - Vol. 3 Ch. 19 - Assembly

The author doesn't know how the economy works it seems.

Money doesn't just vanish when given to those transform into plant, it flows from one's pocket to another's. If they spend their money extravagantly then it's a good thing - Their debts are paid, goods and services are bought, the producers have money to pay for their workers and keep producing, and eveyone have a job to make a living.

I don't know how many plant people are needed to make oxygen for everyone, but the percentage shouldn't be too high or the society cannot function normally, which means the oxygen tax shouldn't be high either. I have no idea why oxygen tax can become such a huge burden (because like I said above, all the tax money are given back to the economy).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's back! Thanks for the translation!

Also this is a pretty good representation of ignorance of the unbelievably shortsightedness of something that is vital but refusing to do something about it because it doesn't affect them. Without that tax they would literally suffocate to death, maybe not today but their children absolutely would. The tax means that they at least aren't in a military state that will forcefully cull people and force them to undergo the transformation

If it wasn't clear, this entire chapter is a criticism of something that actually happening irl and has been for decades

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for picking it up, I really hope new translated chapters come soon

Double-page supporter
2 things

super happy for the translation coming back this story really is special, and to see it lose interest was sad, thank you to the team

besides that, I'm having mixed feelings with this arc, its good worldbuilding here but i enjoyed the piano arc so much more than this current murder mystery with politics and I doubt we will get to see that emotion for a long time, tho this shit with the HS fees is sad as well

I trust the author tho!

Dex-chan lover
Before any assumptions we'd have to know the data on how much oxygen is actually being produced and if the consumption rate is higher than the production rate, as well as population density to even consider if the tax is justified. Even if the tax money is fed back into the economy by the transfloration subjects, a citizen could be driven to poverty in the interim between the paid tax and the transflorated people's expenditure. The product/service market's current demands also dictate who gets paid well enough to continue paying the tax.
This chapter shows how an individual's life problems get them roped into larger issues their problems are linked to (in some way or another), and thus you have the rise of a social movement. If people start dying of starvation, it's either an indication that there's too many people breathing, or the tax is becoming too much of a burden. Both could result in civil unrest.
Either way they should invest in algae transfloration.

Supporter

Money doesn't just vanish when given to those transform into plant, it flows from one's pocket to another's. If they spend their money extravagantly then it's a good thing - Their debts are paid, goods and services are bought, the producers have money to pay for their workers and keep producing, and eveyone have a job to make a living.

I don't know how many plant people are needed to make oxygen for everyone, but the percentage shouldn't be too high or the society cannot function normally, which means the oxygen tax shouldn't be high either. I have no idea why oxygen tax can become such a huge burden (because like I said above, all the tax money are given back to the economy).
the problem is that pay taxes just for the oxygen is fucked up. this society seems already fallen and what remain is slow burning hell where you have to decide between to pay for breath or eat, to pay for you daughter school or push her in prostitution (not the case in the chapter, but seem pretty common here), where for the average joe a terminal illness is a benediction.

I wont get my hopes up again, but thanks for picking this up
Hopefully you wont drop it like all the rest

Dex-chan lover
So just like in real life, taxes are levied against the poorest people first, and then people are encouraged to vent their anger at who they perceive as the "benefactors" of that money, who are "Lazy".

Meanwhile what about those rich people who are paying for black market wood furniture made from the corpses of the poor...? I suspect it's not coming out of their pockets at the same rate. Very clever.

You sound like the type to defend something as dumb as trickle-down economics in real life lol.

For one, you’re ignoring that transfloration isn’t as reliable as a regular business, so the economy booming because of it isn’t a thing that can reliably happen. That’s probably why the oxygen tax is so high, transfloration obviously can’t fix the issue. If anything, using transfloration is a sign of desperation.

Second, you assume that the ‘producers’ are spending wisely. Look at the price gouging and strikes that have happened in the US in the last few years. You think money is being spent wisely and humanely, by companies and government?

Users who are viewing this thread