Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekake-chuu - Ch. 62.2

Dex-chan lover
So there's this thing writers do in fantasy i never understood, if necromancy exist why the heck do they bury dead people ? i mean you'd think something like cremation would be the go to no ?
Could be a spiritual thing. Perhaps the physical body needs a proper burial in order for the spirit to move on. But, then, they might as well exhume the bodies to cremate after. You can honestly justify it, but most people just don't care enough to do so.

Dex-chan lover
So there's this thing writers do in fantasy i never understood, if necromancy exist why the heck do they bury dead people ? i mean you'd think something like cremation would be the go to no ?
And I don't think people would have time to cremate the corpses in a war where the undead are the winners and jumping at the corpses? Yeah let's run back to the city or town conquered by the undead so we can torch the corpses, just in case.

Dex-chan lover
And I don't think people would have time to cremate the corpses in a war where the undead are the winners and jumping at the corpses? Yeah let's run back to the city or town conquered by the undead so we can torch the corpses, just in case.
I'm not talking in a war but as a general practice, i mean for a necromancer a cemetery is more or less a warehouse, i just commented it here because it came to me while reading this chapter.

Dex-chan lover
"The abilities of this man called Arc are probably a lie too, aren't they?!"

Looks like someone needs a first hand demostration of either dimensional move, greater teleportation, Summon Ifrit, Greater Summoned Beast Aeon, Cross Avent and/or Heavenly Knight Technique Michael.

Just one should do the trick, but for the pompous fools, they need more than one.

But seriously, you have reports written by at least three of your best warriors (Danka, Arian, and Arian's mother), one of your fellow elder (Arian's father), an elite member of the beast tribe (Chiyome), and quite importantly ponta; and yet you still question it? I guess I was spoiled by Arian's Father being actually wise, reasonable, and level-headed enough that I expected the same, or at least similar attitudes from the rest of the council. Only a few of them seem to have an inkling of sense.

Guess we'll need the dragon lady to test Arc in front of everyone to shut some of those elders up.

Dex-chan lover
It's a good question. For starters one would consider what are the burial traditions in any fantasy settings and why they exist. As a real life example, let's take Christian burials. We bury the bodies, because our belief at the time and for a very long time was that we would be resurrected for the final judgement bodily. Ie. you would need your body to be at least somewhat intact, in order for Christ raise you back from the dead. This is why burning of bodies was banned for a long time and still is in some branches of Christianity. You can even see this influence in most European languages, the very word for "funeral" is commonly related to burying or being buried. Though burials aren't unique to Christianity in anyway.

For this setting, I don't think necromancy was that common until now. So I don't think anyone had a reason to take precautions for some random necromancer running rampant in the graveyards.

In many settings necromancy is frowned upon if not outright banned as a heretical art, so outside of some cult suddenly rising in power, it shouldn't be a huge issue. For most settings, I think the author(s) just didn't think about it. Most TRPG settings have a necromancer class and factions and yet they still practice burying their dead as is, while also having other factions that hunt down necromancers. Would think, that these factions would also practice and preach cremation or other burial methods that dispose of the body.

One example where it is somewhat answered and necromancy is rampant and armies of the dead are a semi-constant problem, is of course Warhammer Fantasy. The Empire still buries their dead even after having fought huge tides of death several times, with even the founding god-king Sigmar facing the very father of necromancy Nagash several times during his lifetime.
Still, their religious practices for reasons unknown state that the dead should be buried, however they still have an answer for that: the order of Morr, the knightly order responsible for guarding graveyards and preventing the dead from raising back from their eternal slumber.

Dex-chan lover
Gentlemen, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

tnoJrhL.png

Thanks for the chapter!

Users who are viewing this thread