GATE - Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri

Modern combat by advanced democratic nations is like that. Personnel are no longer considered expendable, so the only way to ensure minimal risk to soldiers is to attack with over-the-top overwhelming force.

I like it so far but I can't understand the author's logic in how the US would treat this situation. Having Japan prosper with exclusive access to the zone would only create a powerful nation capable of keeping *so many* threats checked for it. Adding on top of the fact that Japan is an ally, the idea that a president would be so incompetent as to jump the gun and try to kidnap foreign dignitaries is pretty ridiculous.

I realize some part of me is a little offended that my home is portrayed as the bad guy here. I know the US isn't a white knight and it has its own imperialistic nature, as does every country, but I can't help but think of the logic operating in that story arc as incredibly flawed.

To be honest I am not from the US I have live in the US an as far as I know (which is something most won't say in front a USA citizen) almost all common people from most countries think that the US is behind many things in many countries so as what I'm familiar with the author's view is nothing new to me at all and it's probably at some point already a norm accepted by many out of any relation to the manga story line.

Dex-chan lover
Because modern day US react so well to appearance of new powers in the world.
Though the portrayal of global forces in this manga is indeed oversimplified. And it's not really the focus of the story, more of a backdrop.

Having Japan prosper with exclusive access to the zone
Using basically a whole planet filled with natural resources, with only medieval level civilization as a tool for this? Such a neat idea! Too bad author is really keen on making US look like a bad guy here.
If anything, the possibility of Japan being able to maintain monopoly here looks silly.

Also, since when US acted as a 'good guy', facade aside?

Contributor
there is no "good guys" in this kind of situations, well unless they send in support troops without wanting anything/very little in return.
They either don't care about the resources, or they want a piece of that cake.

I doubt they would be able to extract a whole lot, without getting the attention of the godlike beings.

@Lazybum
Also, since when US acted as a 'good guy', facade aside?
I never said the US had ever acted in such a way. I didn't even suggest it; I did quite the opposite, really. I only pointed out that the caustic manner in which the faux president acted is pretty ridiculous, especially considering the aforementioned position of the US (that they can just sit on their hands and eventually benefit from their ally having the gate).

I don't think any country has ever acted as "the good guy," without there also being ulterior motives for doing so. Not saying I don't believe in altruism, just that I don't believe it's possible for a nation to be altruistic. The very nature of the beast known as "nation" is to act in a manner that creates the most benefit for itself; "itself" (hopefully) being defined as "the collective peoples who make up the nation."

It's why nationalism is problematic for humanity. I am hoping to avoid a big debate about it, so I probably won't respond again. This isn't reddit, after all.

Double-page supporter
There maybe are no good guys in this story, but the rabbit bitch with no intention aside of just sowing chaos should just die already. She might make the story more interesting, but i can't like her as a character.

you would think this would be a job for the UN i mean its kinda the whole POINT of the UN i mean if anything scream "police action" this is it

@firefox5926 The manga is a bit dumb with the whole JSDF circle-jerk and every person in a position of power being retarded, but portraying the UN as useful beyond child sex slave trafficking would just be down right silly.

@xfaca oh i know the UN is .... fundamentally broken but on the other hand it does tend to get used in anime and manga lol the un in neon genesis Evangelion and a few other that im sure ive seen it in but whose titles elude me but then again they did all tend to be from like the 80s to early 00s

oh and that Korean wa ahem "police action" and Bosnia, Cyprus, Lebanon, the Congo, Rhodesia, east Timor etc etc the only time they cant get anything resolved is when one of the veto members on the security council has a vested interest in making sure something isn't done and are willing to bear the collateral that comes with going against the flow still i think the angle to go with in this case would be the USA the Russians and the Chinese all ganging up to use the UN to try and pressure japan into letting the UN in and by extension the USA Russia and china ageing that it was an attack by a what is effectively an alien force and therefore an attack on humanity and their fore a matter for the international comity and the UN to deal with while japan argues what they have in the manga that since the gate connects there land to the other side that therefore the land on the other side is and always was technically Japanese and that any attack by another nation on that land would be tantamount to an attack on japan deserving an appropriate response

Dex-chan lover
Ok, That Itami's way to let Rori unwind made me laught out loud, kinda pity Itami, when Rori retribution for that comes xD

@Sakuratea Spoiler from the novel version:
Actually, the bunny has a clear goal and she will redeem herself at the end.

I didn't think I'd enjoy this, but I gave it a shot out of boredom. I am glad I did. The main cast (especially the MC) maybe be dull as can be but the side characters are interesting and make up for it.

This manga would be interesting if there was actually any sort of threat involved. They had dragons and said "lul we can just blow it up" and now its about jerking off the jsdf.

Users who are viewing this thread