GATE - Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri

I saw many people praising Gate as one of the best manga. Sadly I'm pretty disapointed. The main cast of heroes are all pretty much boring (except rory and some beastmen). I could expand why the MC is boring and pretty much crooked man, but Digibro already made some time ago a video with analysis about anime Gate, but all the points he made uphold with manga as well.
First and foremost why the fuck empire attacked the japan? Even princess asked herself what scouts reported to generals before invasion. And what? They send scouts for few days and decided that it's ok to invade?! Why are you portaying them as the dumbest leaders ever? Ahh I forgot why, silly me! Of course they represent xeno scums the european culture the greatest enemy of the best nation ever JAPAN.
Ohh, you don't know what is a westen culture? Don't worry author of GATE will quickly explain it to you! So wetern culture is, but not only:
[ol]
[li] Slavery [/li]
[li] Sadism [/li]
[li] Massive prostitution [/li]
[li] Decadence [/li]
[li] Being stupid [/li]
[li] Tyranny [/li]
[li] Complet lack of any empathy, morals or ethics if not teached by the Best people in the world The JAPANESE [/li]
[li] Being Arrogant [/li]
[li] Picking the most stupid people to govern, rule, judge. Smart people collaborate with the best people in the world The JAPANESE [/li]
etc etc
[/ol]

Whole manga is ideological pamphlet, or I should rather write lampoon, with which author presents clear point of raising Japan, nationalistic and having the higher right to govern others. The very start of manga states the creation of special district of Japan. Hmmm, I rember from history that they already used this term... Oh when they decided to occupy the Korea and created Manchukuo. Those were the good old times! Nothing went wrong (ehhm unit 731 or 100) If only not those pesky americans, am I right Author?
And don't try to dissolve that it is just a fantasy when the Author is using real life models of existing cultures and nations. I skimmed through every chapter and found representations of but not only:
roman empire, greece polis, medival europeans, XVI century Polish winged hussars, middle east empires and so on.
Sorry I had to cut most of original post becouse it was too long.

Dex-chan lover
@kosmaj

Hits much of the points. The main draw to this manga is basically modern weaponry vs swords and magic fantasy.

Main thing to consider is that the author is an Ultra-Nationalist, very "JAPAN NUMBAH WON", and actually had to tone down the nationalism slant for the actual publication. He puts Russia in a somewhat favorable light, but considering that the Japanese rightwingers want to build up the military and possibly split from the alliance with the US, they're going to need a different ally to hold off the spectre of a threat from China.

And you can bet that China has not forgotten what Japan did to them during WWII, or much of South East Asia for that matter.

@kosmaj
You may be right about idealising the jsdf, and shi*ting on what may be a portrait of european cultures.
To be honest, I don't care. Before i came across this manga i had imagined the conflict of modern technology vs. medieval fantasy world countless times. That is why i love it, and will continue to enjoy reading it.

p.s. i've got a strong feeling You're Polish..? jedynie Polskich Husarów napisałeś z dużej, pozdrawiam :)

sure... we have armaments. But they have magic, that would effectively mean our science has a huge gap in its understanding, and nobody seems to care?

@Hexador "It's why nationalism is problematic for humanity."

Don't confuse Nationalism for Jingoism. A LOT of people seem to confuse these two terms and it's quite annoying. You can be nationalistic without being Jingoistic, much like how you can be empathetic, yet not be sympathetic.

It's the nuances. They are quite important.

@DizzyMiko Is a jingoist stance not based upon a foundation of nationalist values? Yes, you can be nationalistic without taking a jingoistic stance toward the rest of the world. However, nationalism in and of itself is a problem for humanity. Nationalism creates pride in the perception of separation from the global community. Perceived separation from the majority can result in vastly different trains of thought, with the potential for a community coming to think something and act upon it in a way that is contrary to the wellbeing of our planet and our species.

Why it feels like YT comment section?? I mean ok I see author getting his ideology in this manga materialized BUT it's no reason start all out politics thread... besides imagine for second it was about american army ? this would totally turn into meme manga (hurr durr it's basically free real estate etc.)

/back to topic

nothing much really happened in last chap besides someone realizing he fucked up big time XD

Dex-chan lover
@kosmaj

And why would be a nationalistic pamphlet bad? Save private Ryan was also a nationalistic pamphlet, there is a particular scene with a nazi soldier which is utterly ridiculous and cringy in that regard, but even with that it's a good film. Gran Torino uses nationalism, tradition and family, something I perfectly expect from Eastwood but he explores and goes beyond.

Yeah, the author is projecting himself, like every author does. So what? The problem is he can't deliver a proper story beyond of how awesome is the JDSF and his country and how he probably despise the west and falls in the same trope of all isekais, the ciclejerk of how intelligent and prepared are the protagonists compared to the uncouth savages of the other side but uses his convoluted ideology for it. The manga is bad, yes, but that's the standard quality for isekai.

He deserves bad criticism for being a bad author, not for being a nationalistic jackass.

Group Leader
@kosmaj
I agree partly with you and partly with @Mug3n.
The funniest thing is that all those nasty "western" traits you compiled in that list
can be easily morphed into present or past Japanese problems.
I feel like author is even more retarded than nationalist,
there is a great Roman saying about this kind of thickness which fits him perfectly:
"Do you just have wooden mirrors in your fucking house ?"

no HALO jump.... but they got M4A1sopmod so im good.... i wish that zorzal is dead... also tyuule is bad news... they need to fulton recover the prince for diplomatic reason i guess.

omg the comments section is cancer... i come here to have fun reading fantasy stuff but get bombarded by ideals in comments.....

Aggregator gang
seriously if you guys still bothered with the author ideals on this manga just dont bother to read this anymore, unless you are here to enjoy the manga... even if you guys bitching about it won't change anything

Dex-chan lover
@DjAlexDubCheck

In the end all depends of the eye of the beholder. There are lots of stories with similar visions in the western culture, being butthurt because someone outisde your culture ridiculizes yours is childish, we are the ones who do it the most. In the end it's quite ironic, we got a taste of our medicine and this author don't realize that what he portraits can be applied to his culture as well. I love it.

@wanstarz @hehaaw

It's called discussion section, not admiring section. If you want to use it to comment how good is the manga and how much you like it go ahead, but let others use it for discussing to related matters too.

Power Uploader
Why is this tagged as Isekai? The MC was neither reincarnated nor forcefully sucked into another world. It's fantasy, yes, and there's another world, yes, but that doesn't make it isekai. Especially since he (and everyone else) can freely travel back and forth between the worlds through the gate.

Dex-chan lover
I am pleased to see people acknowledging this for the onanistic self-insert power fantasy written by a jingoistic military otaku crap it is.

@mug3n: I concede that nationalism by itself isn't necessarily bad. But nationalism so easily and readily morphs into jingoism, and jingoism is most certainly bad. And by Jingo, does this author dive right into it. That is just one more thing that makes his writing worse.

Dex-chan lover
@JoeKerr

I personally think every country needs a some grade of nationalism or else can fall under under others influence who don't seek its inhabitants well-being, as a form of self-esteem. But as you said it can go out of hand easily. I don't know about the novel, but at least this guy doesn't seem to glorify all the shit they did in the first half of 20th century.

Dex-chan lover
Just a thought, but shouldn't Japan securing resources and setting up a large power base, make everyone else rather nervous?
It's not like glorious nippon doesn't have a history of being expansionistic assholes.
And they might not remember it* but other countries do.
------------
I have not seen Rory do anything the grey knights don't deal with on a daily basis, on their way to the coffee machine.
Gate: thus the JSDF died at Cadia when?
Spinoff: Gate: Zus' da JSDF got krumped like gits by Warboss Ztompa an' a mekboy wit' a zquiggly portal machine.
--------------
* This is due to their textbooks glossing over the war and at most saying: "for various reasons, there was a war, some battles were fought, then Japan got bombed with atomic bombs and surrendered. The end."

Users who are viewing this thread