Golden Kamuy - Vol. 26 Ch. 255 - Sugimoto the Ripper

Dex-chan lover
@samazam scanlations are the go to for any japanese media. official localized stuff is never translated properly or correctly. Scanlations are done by fans, officials are done by people who want a paycheck and dont care for the product.

Fed-Kun's army
That may have been Sugimoto's most gruesome kill and it was warranted. How dare that sick fuck lay a finger on Asirpa.

And I'm glad Ogata popped Usami. He's disgusting. Ogata is a piece of shit but Usami was just insufferable during this arc. Good riddance.

Been a while since we last got to see Sugimoto properly disassemble a man. Feels like a homecoming of sorts.

Dex-chan lover
I just realized, the tattooed guy most definitely tattooed himself ABOVE the map to dissappoint everyone after his death. A piece will always be missing.

Dex-chan lover
@dsid2814
officials are done by people who want a paycheck and dont care for the product.
Just like there are scanlators who only care about donations and ad-revenue, there are official translators who take pride in their work and do care about the product. Have you ever seen an official translation that's a straight up copy-paste of Google Translate with 0 proofreading? Because I see that a lot among scanlations by "fans".

I'm not a translator, but as a working member of society I know first-hand what it's like to take pride in your own work. I'm even willing to take free overtime to deliver the best possible product (because my boss refuses to pay for my overtime). Heck, despite working for free, I still get scolded by my boss because he could charge extra but now he can't. So what? I take pride in the work I do, and the customers are happy (and I take pride in that too).

So f*** off with your ignorant bullshit. You might as well claim that manga are made by people who want a paycheck and don't care about the product, so why do you still read it?
Of course they want their paycheck, that's the whole point of selling manga, but that doesn't mean they don't care about the product.

@samazam
does any of the offically released media (manga, anime, etc) has anything resembling the EH's end chapter trivia/explanation section?
Only if those sections are part of the actual piece of work (which are sometimes included in the volume releases as bonus).
The problem is that translators aren't allowed to alter the work in any way beyond what is required for translation.

However, I've seen plenty of official translations add trivia/explanations in between panels. When manga was still new in the West, they'd explain the meaning of "sensei", "senpai", "kouhai", "san", "kun", "chan" and so on. Even now, they try and fit as much information as they can, such as "xyz yen is about $ uvw", "Toyotomi Hideyoshi was a historical figure who...", or even trying to explain puns that don't translate well if at all.

@dsid2814

That is ... debatable :/ In the end it is just a matter of amateurs vs professionals: you can say whatever you want about professional work, but professional work is reliable ... it might be reliably bad or good, but atleast it is of a more consistent quality than the one that comes from amateurs. You can definitely see that with manga translations as well: for every fan translator that does his due research to get the context of the sentences and even adds a TL page ( like this one ), you have one or more that are worse than machine translators or that deliberately mistranslate to insert puns or 4chan/reddit meme stuff that was not in the original, something that would be a straight boot in the behind if they were actually paid for.

Dex-chan lover
Very satisfying to see Jack the Ripper get head stomped. His obsession with women's virginity was disgusting. How dare he involve Asirpa in his delusions. >:[
I doubt one bullet will be enough to kill a roach like Usami, but I hope this at least takes him out of the picture for a while. The dude's just deplorable.

Fed-Kun's army
- And there I was thinking to myself gruesome death were a thing of the past
- Now on to 1st lieutenant Tsurumi's team
- Take that Usami

That's "bloody" disgusting, Ogata!

WAY TO GO USHIYAMAAAAA!!!

Just after he got cover appearance he's going to die? What a "piece" of life, Usami.

I bet Ueji will burn himself to death to disappoint everyone!

Aggregator gang
The way Sugimoto pulled Jack's intestines out with his bayonet and then slashed his throat is probably a direct reference to how Jack (supposedly, it might even have been multiple unrelated murders) killed his victims: their throats were cut and their abdomens mutilated with some organs pulled out/missing.

If you wish to look up From Hell by Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell as referenced in the notes there are scans available online at comixology (or DM me). It's a very big book, densely illustrated, and very graphic. Definitely R 18+. However if you are interested in British Occultism (i.e. masons, leylines, summoning devils) and/or the Victorian time period it is very interesting.

Group Leader
@samazam

We're flattered by your praise! As far as I'm aware, the Viz version does not feature any glossary page (then again, neither does the Japanese original release). However, one thing they DO have that we don't is the improved tankobon versions of each chapter. From chapter 101 on, we've been using the magazine raws in order to stay caught up with the series. But Noda does quite a lot of work redrawing, adding new panels and pages, and fleshing out the chapters when he re-releases them for the tankobon volumes. Sometimes the changes are minor, but sometimes they are quite substantial (for example, adding a lot more to Asirpa's first meeting with Tsurumi). In any case, since we have no intention of re-doing any chapters using the tankobon versions, the official versions are the only way to see the improved and expanded versions of the chapters. So for that reason alone, I'd say they're well worth getting!

Sugimoto's face when he kicked Jack the Ripper was fierce and I loved it.
Also, huge thanks to the team for their work with all the information, hugely educational and also explained in such a manner that it is always a delight to read them!!
Thank you so much for the chapter!!

Dex-chan lover
@ehscans eyyy senpai noticed me. So the tank is still technically "superior", at least in terms of content intended by the creator. Im guessing these extra panels and such made in into the anime too. Welp, time to go check out the cg bears lol

Regardless, y'all EH people are doing a badass job with the scans. Those glossary sections are practically a part of the Golden Kamuy experience to me, and I know Im not the only one who thinks this. Keep on keeping on, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread