Gourmet Gaming - Vol. 1 Ch. 2

Double-page supporter
@IAmInept
No worries mate.

To paraphrase the Big Lebowski “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, my opinion, man.”

No need to apologize or take me too seriously. Thanks for caring about you readership, it is appreciated. 😄

Just seconding @bicyclebastard here that a note about the author’s definition of bulimia being incorrect would be great. I don’t think it’s necessary to comb through a diagnostic manual to find an eating disorder that fits the author’s vision more closely, but I do think a note when this comes up would help keep people from getting the wrong impression about a real problem. Maybe just put it in the manga blurb instead.

I imagine the writer decided to omit the purging aspect because vomiting would mar whatever vibe they’re trying to make here. Barfing is pretty visceral stuff and I’m sure depicting it like it is with bulimia would turn off a lot of potential readers. Same for other purging methods like laxatives.

Group Leader
@IAmInept (not sure your name checks out😀). If bulimia was the literal translation and our MC doesn’t voluntarily ralph the contents of his stomach I believe the term might be binge-eating-disorder https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/binge-eating-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20353627

Unlike a person with bulimia, after a binge, you don't regularly compensate for extra calories eaten by vomiting, using laxatives or exercising excessively. -Mayo Clinic

Having said that you might’ve been ok with just leaving it alone
What Are Typical Behaviors of People With Bulimia?
A person with bulimia might eat more than 2,000 calories in one sitting and then induce vomiting. Vomiting, however, is not the only method of purging. Excessive exercise, laxative use, enemas, fasting, or a combination of purging methods are common alternatives to vomiting. People who binge without purging often receive the diagnosis of binge eating disorder. -Bulimia.com

Dex-chan lover
I liked the fact that he is a very athletic person, in stories people with obesity problems are just slobs and if they do a a lot of exercise they just become thin but like sticks, like zero muscle mass, also it fights against the myth that fat people just can't do anything that requires to move their body, there are people with a really large figure and they may look really fat but most of their weight is pure muscle, like Samoa Joe or Sumo martial artists

Double-page supporter
www koreans think 185 is staggering that's like 6'1"

I think the main character has Prader-Willi syndrome.
Here this a link to explain it:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prader-willi-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20355997

Dex-chan lover
... Bulimia... Is the one where you overeat and then throw up to even out the "overflow"
@pink4772 +1
Or if anything at least @Lexical 's one.

Also... There's no way in hell that he is 185 with 170 KG and 4 hours of intense exercise.
And from the looks of things, the doctor is like 160 then... How can a person with 185 be so much taller and wider?

I'm 197 and used to weigh 163kg and even the diet group I was in had noone with such a figure and they were ranging from 160cm with 150kg and up on both points. That figure is more like a 300kg person than a approaching 170kg... Or like the guy back in 2012 who was 180kg but only 165cm

Aggregator gang
Feels like that explaination at the end is willfully ignoring that bulimia has a Korean name and this series doesn't use it.

Is the author not human lol? Cause that's not how the human body works🤣

I don't know how I feel about the translators completely dismissing binge eating disorder. That's a real disorder and the series isn't making fun of bulimia. The translators however are ignoring a completely real eating disorder, and by translating it wrong it comes off as really disrespectful to me. I haven't seen the next translations but I hope it changes to the real disease.

yeah, these translators are dumb, the character is not fasting. he is doing very much the opposite. and if they can properly translate the name of the fake disease (like they did in their very dumb explanation of why they called it bulimia) they should do so. taking it upon themselves to rename the fake disease to a real one that shares next to no symptoms is just dumb. period.
actually several of the people in the comments are right. if they wanted a real disease equivalent they could have just gone with binge eating disorder. similar to bulemia, but without the purging

Fed-Kun's army
When you're a broken person who just can't stop a single action.

Smoking, drinking, snorting, injecting, gambling, eating, sitting, sleeping. Just stop it.

I suggest walking. A very long distance, hopefully the end destination has a water fountain but nothing else.

The real condition is called "Prader-Willi syndrome" or "hyperphagia" for anyone wondering.

Dex-chan lover
thats not how bulimia wtf

author just clearly did not do any research and just picked out a common eating disorder. Author wasnt trying to downplay an eating disorder. Author was just simply being lazy

Users who are viewing this thread