GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka

Contributor
Got slightly repetitive towards the end, but still good because it has Onizuka being Onizuka as always(aka giving 0 fucks)

Double-page supporter
Honestly, one of the best school-life manga there is. I've read this several times as a teen and as a adult. Both the manga and anime is fantastic. GTO has never failed to make me laugh no matter how many times I read it and the series itself is a emotional journey once you finish it. Good thing is, there's more GTO stories other then this! I recommend this manga to everyone.

Dex-chan lover
This manga is a masterpiece. I've read it many times, through many phases of my life. And yet every time I read it again it still resonates within me and fills me with joy and courage to be better.

I rate this GTO/10

You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll facepalm over and over at Onizuka's antics. Awesome piece critiquing the Japanese education system, with messages that resonate everywhere.

10/10 must read.

this manga it just shows us that DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER !! 10/10 you need to read it !!

Dex-chan lover
the tokyopoop translation kills me inside everytime i read the bastardization they make to "localize it", absolutely hideous.
@BluePentagram indeed it kinds of lost some steam towards the middle-ish and kind of goes super silly
when they start introducing transfer students, that angel-BS squad and the new director with the point system
feels like they ran out of ideas at that point.

It also stops paying attention to the relationship of "side" characters,
like Kunio's mother she simply vanishes from the manga completely, Kunio's relationship to the tall girl is NEVER even mentioned again, We don't know what kikuchi will do with whom, Toroko vanishes into background and Onizuka "relationship" with Azusa again.. vanishes completely in lieu of "fantastical" bullshit. Uchiyamada family and their mending is also never again shown
I'd rather they'd expanded on that instead of introducing BS

And there a lot of pages that are wall of text and subtext that don't really add anything to the story and are droning fillers, some of them uchiyamada

Started super strong in the first third but fell into the habit of rehashing the same story dressed up slightly differently for the last 2/3rds. Some major melodrama whipped up and suddenly summarily dismissed, too. I enjoyed the ride but it could've been about 50% the length and maybe been stronger for being so

Dex-chan lover
I read all three of the series and I still want more.
10/10 Would read again.

Users who are viewing this thread