Hachinan tte, Sore wa Nai Deshou! - Vol. 8 Ch. 47

Dude really coming up to bat for the dude in his thirties acting less mature than the sixteen year old huh.

Sure the dude might've had good intentions but that doesn't mean he's fit for the job, people are giving him shit for his idea to have vell/well/bell is it would weaken his legitimacy.

Honestly he's right to be worried vell/well/bell will take over his place as the heir when other nobles are already making moves under this assumption. He's got good relations with a fair number highly influential nobles and the fucking pope, is easily the richest man in the kingdom right now and several medals of honor. Yeah he has no interest in it but fuck when has that been an issue in this story. In a darker story I could easily see the king sending people out to make kurt and his father have an accident to guarantee it.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme
OK, let's suppose that is true. Though IIRC Baumeister is not doing particularly well as a lord; it's why Kurt wanted Wendelin to help, which dad turned down, which is why Kurt is now such an ass to Wendelin.

Why should Wendelin ruin his familial relationship over money, when I'm pretty damn sure he has enough to do all you suggested without squabbling over pittance? He simply doesn't because he isn't the lord of that territory. He is the head of his own independent house, as stated by himself in this very chapter, and interfering in another noble's territory is a huge fucking no-no.

Dex-chan lover
@cor3zone Because the idiot brother won't even try to come up with ways to better the fief's financial situation if money rains down from the heaven as soon as he throws absurd demands at his own brother. A guy who's wishing for the death of his own brother out of envy isn't going to use a single silver coin to make the fief any better. It all goes into his own coffers. Wendelin shouldn't encourage such behavior.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme
He isn't. He's just stepping aside, because confronting Kurt would just drive him deeper into idiocy.

Dex-chan lover
Its wierd how all the news about Bell's achievements and even his supposed death traveled all the way to their land but not a single word about him being a Baron and becoming head of his own branch of the family reached them.

Some of the comments here left me gobsmacked. I'll leave aside the argument if the father is guilty of basically setting this up due to his previous actions. Let's talk about what happened here.

The easiest way to understand the MC's actions here is simply asking "What would happen if he actually reacts harshly to Kurt's stupidity?"

FACTS:
- He is an high-ranked, super rich, very powerful AND very influential noble connected to both the King and the Pope.
- He has 6 other brothers/sisters beside Kurt and his homeland isn't rich to begin with.

RESULTS:
- His family's reputation is destroyed because NO ONE would risk looking friendly with someone that angered such a powerful figure and the freaking Pope
- All the innocent common people of his homeland suffer, due to their landlords getting dragged into the mud
- His other brothers/sisters might get affected badly by virtue of also being the brothers/sisters of the disgraced Kurt
- HIS OWN REPUTATION takes an hit because the other people would see him destroying his own family over a jealousy fit of someone far beneath him in every aspect.

So what did he actually do?
Took the middle road. He restrained himself to only pull rank on Kurt, basically saying "Shut up, don't forget you are below me now and what insulting my fiancee means".

I'm all for calling doormat MCs unrealistic spineless idiots, but this isn't one of those cases.
This is an instance of a MC being SMART AND COLLECTED.

We got the two extremes of somehow kurt's actions are justified and he would've been a sweet angel if the dad didn't point out that the literal only thing that's letting him be the heir of the land is that he's first born, and letting everyone in the land know that wel/bel/vel would be way more suited for the role was a very bad idea for him. Like its essentially nepotism that landed him the job, I know they're brothers and there's probably a more accurate term for it but he didn't get the job through a meritocratic method is the main point.

Sure people constantly reminding a dude that he's not exactly great at his job probably isn't good for his mental health but if a surgeon keeps fucking up surgeries and killing patients but literally can't be fired, I sure as hell don't care that people are constantly giving him shit.

The other is people upset about vel/bel/wel taking a more nuanced approach to dealing with his brother's shit attitude, it sucks but just decking him causes way more issues long run then it benefits him. Let the brother self destruct its basically inevitable.

@ShionSinX The guy who made the rumor had it expedited to his homeland if I recall right.

Dex-chan lover
@Darkblaze6 yeah its the brother of the kingdom finances head, he made up the rumor and sent a letter to MC's family. Still, absolutely no word about his status prior to that reached his family?!

Aggregator gang
Kurt was walking the path of decency and the dad just derailed him lol.
Sadly a victim of that leadership and political style. Working with the MC would have been best, but the fear of dissolution of power put an end to that.

Of course we all forget that the MC is an isekai and could have used his advanced education from our world to support, but he wanted to be an adventurer so it didn’t really matter to him so long as he got out no strings attached. Not that that’s working out, but it’s destroyed the man his big brother could have been.

Users who are viewing this thread