Haiena-chan ni Nerawarete - Ch. 22

Dex-chan lover
How fine is "just fine", and why should it be presumed-for-argument that they're translating "just fine" in a scene that anyone with a computer can enter-- regardless of skill?
"Just fine", as in they're not making up lines, not forgetting to translate things, and not mis-translating anything. "The talk you don't want your parents to give you"? The guys doing that just straight up didn't even try. There was a line (among many) so egregious, a second guy came in to prove that they didn't even run it through Google Translate. That's definitely not "just fine". Enough people understand the language on this forum that eventually someone is going to point out issues.

There's no point in having this hypothetical argument when I, and I assume you, have yet to see a snipe that's of higher quality than the alternative despite having had less time dedicated to doing it right.
Personally? I could only sympathize with that if it turned out that the Japanese was so simple to translate that there was never any chance of substantially different translations being produced. Something that's hardly ever the case.
If you've ever paid attention to scan wars, you'll realize that the second guy to upload gets a small fraction of the attention. I had some guy try to take "Kusanagi-Sensei is being tested" out from under my nose. I went and shot out the entire rest of the manga, down to the ending, and let me assure you, they got basically (And often literally) no engagement. People binged through the chapters, which limited discussion on both of our uploads, they got no attention, and we were forced to burn through the buffer we'd so patiently made so that we didn't just waste our time pissing into the void.

We ended up losing, even when we "won".
And they're not at all necessarily moving at whatever pace they're moving to scanlate a chapter because they want to turn out quality work-- that desire is one out of many possible and non-mutually exclusive reasons as to why they'd go slow and/or irregular,
Right, and snipers are no more motivated by quality than the main group. So given that they're both (For the sake of argument) equally indifferent to putting out the best possible chapter, who do you think is more likely to do it: The group that's been doing it patiently, or the new one that decided to rush through the chapter?

There's just so much about the concerns accompanying the production and consumption of scanlations, that make this mostly vague concept of "dibs" excessively oppressive and even exploitable if it's unwaveringly and conscientiously adhered to.
Have you ever scanlated a manga?

Last edited:
Staff
Super Moderator
I just wanted to make a translation of my favorite manga on this site. I'm not the best translator but I really wanted to give it a go. I didn't mean anything malicious by it, but if it is an issue i'm fine with deleting it.
Don't feel bad about it! The only owner of a manga is the author themselves, no group has the sole rights to fan-translate anything nor is it against the rules to simultaneously translate something; although, like many have pointed out in this thread and close to the "honor among thieves/pirate code" thing, if someone is already working on a project, considering picking something new may be a better use for everyone's time.

That said, our fan-translation circle is famously slow in some of our releases, due the nature of how we operate "We work on whatever we want to, however we want to." so it's not a first time that this has happened to us, nor it will be the last - we just try to find common ground between fans; sometimes, this even has brought up collaboration efforts to release the chapters faster ;)

I leave my DMs (and you can also find an invite to our discord server) if you wanna join and talk.
Cheers!

Dex-chan lover
"Just fine", as in they're not making up lines, not forgetting to translate things, and not mis-translating anything. "The talk you don't want your parents to give you"? The guys doing that just straight up didn't even try. There was a line (among many) so egregious, a second guy came in to prove that they didn't even run it through Google Translate. That's definitely not "just fine". Enough people understand the language on this forum that eventually someone is going to point out issues.
Does this mean that "sniping" can be okay, under certain circumstances? Or is it even still called "sniping", at that point?

Is there a mistake tolerance? How many lines or pages have to be mistranslated or completely jacked up before it becomes a "rescue" or what have you?

There's no point in having this hypothetical argument when I, and I assume you, have yet to see a snipe that's of higher quality than the alternative despite having had less time dedicated to doing it right.
I wouldn't call it a "snipe" because the translation job was originally for another audience on an entirely different site, but the /a/nons currently scanlatingYofukashi no Uta had started uploading typeset translation posts ahead of Tonikaku Scans (who labeled it as 3/5 in their priority at the time) until the latter dropped the project, citing Viz's simulpub (an aggressively bad """adaptation""").

The scans were of similar quality for the time that they were both posting (i.e. there was the occasional unsubstantiated accusation of poor translation on the /a/ scan's part, and the one time anything specific was discussed, it turned out Tonikaku quick-edited their upload to agree with the /a/ scan), the prime difference being that the ones behind the /a/ scan were (are) posting faster and more regularly-- no doubt, partly because it's the only scanlation project that all involved are working on.

And that's what I'm not fond of in your explanations: seemingly, you're unduly assuming that slower chapter releases are necessarily the product of painstaking effort and a desire to "do it right", when that could be one of many reasons-- if it is one. You're running specific characterizations of the "main" and "sniping" groups for a hypothetical manga, beyond their being the first to work on it.

Right, and snipers are no more motivated by quality than the main group.
Except when they're in fact more motivated by quality than the main group.

If you've ever paid attention to scan wars, you'll realize that the second guy to upload gets a small fraction of the attention. I had some guy try to take "Kusanagi-Sensei is being tested" out from under my nose. I went and shot out the entire rest of the manga, down to the ending, and let me assure you, they got basically (And often literally) no engagement. People binged through the chapters, which limited discussion on both of our uploads, they got no attention, and we were forced to burn through the buffer we'd so patiently made so that we didn't just waste out time pissing into the void.

We ended up losing, even when we "won".
I sympathize with having your plans disrupted due to unforeseen actions by someone else, but are you saying that you didn't take satisfaction in scanlating something you (presumably) enjoyed to be accessible to an audience that would have otherwise been unable to enjoy it? If the other English translator(s) turned out an ultimately inferior product, did you not take satisfaction in turning out the superior one?

To answer your question (though, I don't know where you mean to drive):
Have you ever scanlated a manga?

I haven't gone through the whole process of scanlation to produce a translated manga chapter for upload. From what you've described, you absolutely have more experience than I do.

However, I have proposed a retranslation of a small Twitter manga because the translation given was bafflingly bad. Learning that the official ""adaptation""" for Yofukashi no Uta is actually awful has encouraged me to often compare the raws, non-corporate English scanlation, and Viz adaptation when I can in order to see if there's any discrepancies to investigate. That's led me to realizing other bumblings by Viz, depths of the dialogue that either initially escaped me or any of the other translators, and even the occasional bumble by the non-corporate scanlators. I've also occasionally done backseat translation editing for the odd upload here or there.

...really, it's mostly backseat translation editing from me-- but it's because of those experiences that I find it difficult to wholly sympathize with your position. In those cases, I took pride in being able to produce translations I was confident in (or analyses involving key translations), regardless of how much engagement they got. Granted, my experience is largely different than one who participates in an entire scanlation process because I'm more interested in testing what's presented to me, but I wonder if a scanlation group can't be fundamentally happy with 1) making a work they like more accessible, 2) doing something that not a lot of people can easily do (translate manga), and 3) possibly doing it better than the other people trying the same thing because they have superior expertise.

That said, this is also about a bit more than "sniping", for me: it's only when multiple translations of something exist that I'm able to spot potential discrepancies worth investigating, because it's not the raws I have in front of me when I click on a new chapter upload on Mangadex. If Tonikaku Scans dropped Yofukashi no Uta because of Viz's licensing and simulpub, and nobody else had or would pick it up because it was licensed, I'd be fucked over with an aggressively poor translation. There are manga I've unwittingly bought that were published and translated by untrustworthy companies and people, for which no alternative exists because everyone backed off from it after it was licensed, even if it's well known that the publisher in question is bad and contracts aggressively trollish translators and adaptationists. There are times the only scanlator for a chapter or manga produces plausible but still majorly inaccurate work-- the "normal" and only group (not counting the few interjections by the notorious SSSSS) for the first 120 chapters of Rent-a-Girlfriend was also one that took unaccounted-for liberties with their translations that haven't been concretely challenged to this day, and probably never will be (to be fair, it's published by Kodansha, so its corporate translation has almost certainly been in good hands).

I appreciate multiple scanlations in the same language for those reasons. That's mostly where I'm coming from, apart from the vagary of the "sniping" taboo in practice.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Does this mean that "sniping" can be okay, under certain circumstances? Or is it even still called "sniping", at that point?
If the group is making up lines, for example, then it's probably best if they left it to even a newbie with Google Translate. Otherwise, it's mostly just waiting to see if it's abandoned. Our group's leader likes to wait 3 months between uploads. God knows we took more than a while to get a chapter out when I started.
Is there a mistake tolerance? How many lines or pages have to be mistranslated or completely jacked up before it becomes a "rescue" or what have you?
https://mangadex.org/chapter/2ac19b58-0eb1-470b-b4fb-27eb3e2fcd6e/1

That's pretty hard to read. And it's a sign of someone who speaks neither English, nor Japanese. It can hardly be said that you're even doing the series in the first place if your work is this bad. As for totally made-up lines, I'd say even one is begging to have at least the chapter re-done by someone who isn't a hack.
Except when they're in fact more motivated by quality than the main group.
It's nice to see a second Autist on this website. And clearly we're cut from the same cloth, since we both agree on the criteria for properly picking up a series someone else is "doing".
I sympathize with having your plans disrupted due to unforeseen actions by someone else, but are you saying that you didn't take satisfaction in scanlating something you (presumably) enjoyed to be accessible to an audience that would have otherwise been unable to enjoy it? If the other English translator(s) turned out an ultimately inferior product, did you not take satisfaction in turning out the superior one?
No. It's a massive pain. Thankfully, I've gone ahead and cut down on a bunch of overhead as I've gotten more experience, but the process of sitting down, reading everything, figuring out the exact set of words that'll encompass as many of the thoughts and mannerisms of the original as possible, filling dialogue in bubble, by bubble, by bubble, figuring out natural ways to convey filler sounds (Because it turns out Japanese has a FUCK ton of those with specific meanings and no English equivalents) hunting down every stray SFX and figuring out what they mean in context, etc...... it takes hours, and after seven months of nearly daily work, it's not nearly as exciting as the first few times.

If I wanted to go through all that work just so nobody would read it, I'd just go to the funny number site and jerk off to some obscure thing nobody's bothered working on yet.
However, I have proposed a retranslation of a small Twitter manga because the translation given was bafflingly bad.
I'll see what I can do. No promises I'll get it done, though.
. Learning that the official ""adaptation""" for Yofukashi no Uta is actually awful has encouraged me to often compare the raws, non-corporate English scanlation, and Viz adaptation when I can in order to see if there's any discrepancies to investigate. That's led me to realizing other bumblings by Viz, depths of the dialogue that either initially escaped me or any of the other translators, and even the occasional bumble by the non-corporate scanlators.
You see, that sounds neat, and I'd love to hear more about it.

It's also the reason I resent having to buy manga from some third party, and not actual raw, digital copies without some ridiculous workaround: I don't trust them to do it right.
...really, it's mostly backseat translation editing from me-- but it's because of those experiences that I find it difficult to wholly sympathize with your position
Look at it this way: I could do all that stuff I told you about earlier and have nobody read it... or I could do all that same stuff and have people actually read it.

All manga, even the good manga, becomes about as good when you spend hours reading over the dialogue and looking through a bunch of tabs to decode that one abstract speech the character gives (You know the kind: They suddenly stop talking like people, and decide to bust out into metaphors and poems). So if I'm going to be roughly as challenged, and roughly as bored, I'd very much like someone to talk about the story at the end of it.

And this about a bit more than "sniping", for me: it's only when multiple translations of something exist that I'm able to spot potential discrepancies worth investigating,
Again, all of that sounds fascinating, and I'd love to hear more (Message me, or something), but I'm concerned exclusively about the accuracy of my work, and the audience. The first to post gets all the engagement, and, as far as I know, they're also the ones MD defaults to when people are reading through the chapters from the start. If I'm going to do something, and do it right, then it should be somewhere where it actually makes a difference.

Most people see the new chapter, click it, then walk away feeling like they've seen more of the story. When they see it the second time, and I've done this, just like everyone else, they rarely give it a second glance. When I'm flipping through the backlog for a manga, I don't stop every so often to check if there's a different, more accurate translation if I'm ever having trouble understanding the story- much less when it, at least on a surface level, sounds coherent.

This helps no one. The people get a worse product, and I'm denied the engagement I worked for. And the solution is either a handful of people observe some basic ground rules, or the entire audience realize there are two scans competing, then accurately judge which one of them is the superior one, then decide that after all this work, to deliberately avoid the faster, less accurate one at all costs.

Double-page supporter
Sheesh... she's just keep getting bigger and bigger now. She's practically a giant. How did his tiny something fit in her? Or is he big down there? Ookay... now I'm getting dirty minded for a bit 😅

Dex-chan lover
I'm really sorry, I'm relatively new to this manga site so, I don't know there were rules on translating like this.
Oh shut the fuck up. Piss off with this "uh bloo bloo bloo I didn't know!" act. One upload, three posts, sniping... you didn't even remotely try, you just crapped out a terrible MTL and slapped it up here. If nobody had called this out, you would've had a begging page in your next release, I guarantee it.

And like I keep saying, if you'd done this with literally any other series without a group, nobody would have cared and probably would have even thanked you for it. But no, you picked a popular series, that already has a group scanslating it, on the regular even, and thought you could hop in and get some clout/visibility/whatever.

Just have the dignity to take it down and fuck off.

Dex-chan lover
Oh shut the fuck up. Piss off with this "uh bloo bloo bloo I didn't know!" act. One upload, three posts, sniping... you didn't even remotely try, you just crapped out a terrible MTL and slapped it up here. If nobody had called this out, you would've had a begging page in your next release, I guarantee it.

And like I keep saying, if you'd done this with literally any other series without a group, nobody would have cared and probably would have even thanked you for it. But no, you picked a popular series, that already has a group scanslating it, on the regular even, and thought you could hop in and get some clout/visibility/whatever.

Profile picture checks out.

Dex-chan lover
Profile picture checks out.
348647.jpg

I'm getting real fist of the north star vibes from the character scaling from this panel...

Onae wa mou....hentai desu

Group Leader
Coming here after being snipped. Well, at least in this thread, there won't be some random foolish Vietnamese guy who smoked too much weed defending the snippers and saying that because of this scanlation war, the honor of a nation is about to sink into the mud on the world stage as if Mangadex has global influence and everyone here is famous with many followers like Twitter or Facebook, lol :]]]

P/S: I have also learned a lesson for myself (since I was recently snipped) which is to let it go, they do their job and you do yours.

Group Leader

I really want to let it all out like you, man. But suddenly realized that this is a common situation on Mangadex, so now I have to learn to live with it.

P/S: I have also learned a lesson for myself (since I was recently snipped) which is to let it go, they do their job and you do yours.
"Hey! I'm already doing it, so you can't! because it's mine now!!!"
I laugh even harder when the source is pirated :aquadrink: These kids think they own something.
Nice take tho, "Let the folks be delusional and give the minions honor of inflating their dick/ego."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread