Hariko no Otome - Vol. 2 Ch. 8

thank you for the hard work translator... and i won't unbookmark this one, i'll wait even if it's like 3 months for each release..

Double-page supporter
Rodan and Stall are made for each other, both are beautiful.
And unbookmark this series, you say? Why should I?

@Tekikato She didn't make any new parts, she simply rearranged how the existing parts were sitting. I believe the chest plate was originally hidden underneath the mail.

....yeah, boob armour is the opposite of good. Flattening increases range of motion for the wearer, swordfighting gets harder when you have two metal protrusions in front of you, it also adds weight for no reason. And as long as you're not binding 24-7, its fine to bind. Kind of sad, kind of annoying, to see her change what was very practical armour into that, just because she likes pretty things.

The translators advice 😂 thanks, I will take your advice lol

Because people have and will point out "but boob armor doesn't make sense"
1. Mens armor had lots of extra empty space where their chest is. Unless the woman was very heavy breasted, they could squeeze themselves in there. You still need space to help decrease any blow you get there. For bigger chested ladies, we'd need more space up there (not necessarily boob shaped though)
2. Codpieces on armor were a thing; if more women were historically (at least in europe) using and wearing full plated armor, we'd probably be seeing historical boob armor

https://youtu.be/6KHz0qWQA9I

Dex-chan lover
@hamster91 Not to mention that there was a period of time where having a large chest and tiny waist was considered very attractive on a man, so you had armour that needlessly emphasised this body shape. Armour wasn't all practicality, it was fashion as well and made to make the wearer sexy. So like you said, since cod pieces were a thing, and breasts have always been adored (in europe, asia interestingly thought breasts were for the inelegent women, but then again, there was a time when men in europe thought big dick=dumb), armour with massive tits would have absolutely been a thing.

I always thought the anger towards boob armour was honestly a little sexist; god forbid men put sex appeal in their fictional worlds. Women are equally allowed to make stories with naked men if they want, but they're too busy writing essays on why men made media isn't inclusive. Not that there wouldn't be haters of the naked men either, there's always haters.

Double-page supporter
"it seems like I slept for awhile"
I bet the artist was taking jabs at the publisher.

Lmao I’ll be sure to set a notification for a year from now so I’ll know when the chapter is out.

But in all seriousness thank you for the update!

Dex-chan lover
@PianoConspiracy

As much as people make fun of boob plate, there are ways to make them perfectly viable without sacrificing much.
And from what I can see it doesn't look like the armour would be a problem to use as the chest is well designed and doesn't look to be too big to become a hindrance...

It's basically the equivalent of abbs on a chest plate like the Romans had.
ydpkurje
Or a codpiece on medical knight armours.
arrmour-codpiece.jpg

None of them was actually useful and actively made the armour worse in some ways, but the downside was usually negligible so people did it anyway for bonus style points.
When it comes to the boob plate, as long as there isn't a cleavage between the boobs that would make it easier for a sword to land in the centre of the chest.
Or it's too big ( usually the width is the problem ) that it becomes a problem when swinging the sword around, a boob plate is perfectly viable.

It clearly has the look of a ceremonial armour, and a plain one would have been better for protection.
But magic most likely makes the slight differences more or less unimportant with how the magic embroideries work.
All in all, both her old and new version of the armour is perfectly fine unlike those insane skim armours that leave your belly unprotected and whatnot.
HTHFAjQ.jpg

But then again," Red Sonya´s law of skimp" is also a thing so... who am I to say how magic armour works.

Dex-chan lover
You'll meet your demise, so make sure you dress up well, it might be the last time you'll ever have the chance

Double-page supporter
@Goldenzeal I agree with everything you said, and I like Stall's new way of wearing her armor, in particular because it conforms to her body better. One thing that people don't understand as to why a "boob-plate" could actually be important is because of how differently women's torsos are. If a woman allows their chests to be so tightly constricted, like in Stall's case, then it could hinder breathing and make it harder to perform (the corset also does that if improperly used, but that's not important right now). Armor should be treated like fine suits and ball gowns. They should be tailor made to the body of the person that will be wearing it. In this particular case, I like how the author had Yui change Stall's armor. It not only conforms to her figure better so she can actually breathe, but the breastplate is designed in a way to still function the way a breastplate is supposed to function, that is by redirecting swords away from the center. It may be designed to look like breasts, but everyone should notice that there is no cleavage at all. Aside from the vertical lines, t's a perfectly smooth bump in the armor that will properly redirect any attempt at stabbing or slashing. Those lines are probably really closely placed together anyway, so there is very little chance a broadsword will be able to get caught in them.

There is still the potential problem of swords getting caught on the seams of the ornamental part of the breastplate if someone tries to stab into the seams, of course, but that has to do with intricate design rather than it being a "boob-plate." As you said, however, magic will likely help mitigate the complications of this ornamental armor, and someone would have to aim at an awkward angle anyway to get into those seams, something that is likely too risky for any attacker in a swordfight.

With all that said, it would be functionally better if her midsection was rounded instead of dipping into her stomach as if the armor itself was a corset. But again, it's likely just ornamental armor with the aim of using divine protection and the help of the spirit to protect the wearer. So long as she wears it "right" so the spirit can come out then Stall will be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread