Have a Coffee After School, In Another World’s Café

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN (interesting name btw)
I would say overall its good, so far the story progressing nicely, and the art is cute too. Its only 3 chapter so far, and the next one is month's away. I will hold my is this "great" not just "good" judgement after the next chapter on how the MC and heroine react.

Contributor
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN:

The short of it is that it's too early to say; I said "may" be good writing and in this case meant only that (my enthusiasm for getting even possibly-good-writing in this genre may have been leaking a bit, sorry).

To wit, I had been semi-impressed by the atmosphere building and there seemed possibly to be some subtlety to the protagonist's character (Such as, he's acting mostly fine on the outside, but he appears to actually be quite disturbed at being ripped from his home country world, and is possibly stuck between fishing for acceptance from the locals, clinging to his own culture, and his own desire to crawl into a corner and hide—all as the backdrop to some calm and peaceful interactions in running a coffee shop.) Or at least, that was my impression after the first two chapters, but it wasn't clear where it was going to go from there.

The third chapter seems to continue a bit along these theme, but it also seems possible that this is just part of the opening gambit still.

The obvious black mark against it so far is that all of his customers (that the story focuses on, anyway) seem to be pretty girls with kind of flirty dialogue. If everything is in service of that—if the protagonist just feels lonely in the beginning so as to better integrate into some sort of romance plot or some such and then it'll just be harem antics or something—then this could quickly go to pot.

Time will tell. Either way, so far it comes off as roughly standard-quality quintessential "seinen" social-interaction writing of some sort or another, which is for the time being a pretty stark rise in quality-of-writing over standard-quality isekai. Like, y'know, the author may even have heard somewhere of basic writing principles like, "show it don't say it," that sort of thing.

MPT

Group Leader
Originally, I thought the 'finale' in chapter 3 was talking about this arc, but having now acquired the next chapter, I can say that it is indeed the last one. Four chapters is a pretty short run and I _hope_ that they pick it up again at some point, but won't hold out much hope. I also hope that people will continue reading in the LN (once I've caught up some) if they're enjoying the series itself.

Dex-chan lover
Started reading the LN because of this, and I have to say it's rather pleasant to read. Hope they'll translate beyond chapter 2.

Dex-chan lover
It's a slow-paced relax isekai that you can read in a lazy afternoon. Not a masterpiece, but not bad. I enjoyed it although the fact that this is only an ad for the light novel bugs me to no end. I want the full story in a manga...

Dex-chan lover
I'm not gonna read the novel, but I certainly hope the logistics of his situation is described in more detail there 'cause it's bugged me during the entire trip.

Otherwise it was ok, but character-growth-driven stories rarely interest me anymore.

Group Leader
@MPT Thanks for the translations these past few months! :)
Have a cupcake for your efforts:
6PFYvSD.png

Contributor
Unlike other "this manga is a preview of the light novel" things I've seen, this actually stands on it's own pretty well as a short story. In fact, if you hadn't told me that's what it was, I could have believed this was standalone.

Aggregator gang
there are chapter 5 out there is this really end??
https://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_KS04200785010000_68/
@MPT affirmative

MPT

Group Leader
@stal2walk They released a fifth chapter to celebrate the novel completing. Whether that will end up being the last chapter I don't know, but it had indeed said that chapter 4 was the end before.

Dex-chan lover
[When you realize that there will be over a dozen new isekai harem or shounen battle mangas next year and this series only got a 4 month run with an extra chapter]

...There is no justice in this world. I guess I can always go back to GochiUsa for my coffee-related fluff.

Users who are viewing this thread