Henkyou Gurashi no Maou, Tensei shite Saikyou no Majutsushi ni naru - Ch. 39 - Odette Breaks the Spell

Dex-chan lover
Her father's word is worthless to her now. He altered the agreement he had with her one sidedly and then outright cheated. It is clear now that the father never intended to grant her wish regardless of the outcome.

The only way she is going to get what she wants is to take her own path regardless of his will/opinion. He can arrange a marriage, but he can't force her to say "yes". The downside to this is potentially being cut off, disowned, continually harassed, imprisoned under house arrest, and/or assassinated. It depends on how much she is worth to him, how certain he is that she will give up and give in to his demands, and how much shame/trouble she causes.

Dex-chan lover
So based on the title Odette's based again.

No need to tell her to hang on tightly twice.

Yeah, this attempt at sabotage is much more likely to give her even more determination to do her own thing.

Can even recognise them.

Well, she doesn't need to solve all problems by herself.

Yeah, in her defence, she's not exactly in the position or mental capacity to refuse orders from above, and she clearly doesn't want to follow those orders.

Perspective. Odette's got it.

Maid was confirmed since way back before anything else was even confirmed.

Odette is best girl. While I still don't know if I want her to become a love interest, I want her to be happy more than any other character in this manga.
Agree almost entirely. Martha best girl. Odette's a close second. And yeah, her happiness is far more important than becoming a love interest.

The downside to this is potentially being cut off, disowned, continually harassed, imprisoned under house arrest, and/or assassinated.
In that case she does have powerful friends. And it might provide some plot for the manga. But yeah, he never intended to keep that promise, so she doesn't need to follow it either.

Dex-chan lover
What would the father have done if Odette didn't give up? If he spent a microsecond getting to know his daughter he'd have learnt she isn't the type to back down. He deliberately engineered a situation that could have resulted in her death all for a political marriage? I f****** hate parents (I might be projecting a little here).

Dex-chan lover
If she died, wouldn't that have not only stopped the marriage. But, also dying in a trainee exam would have ruined their reputation, no? That's normally how things pan out for nobles in these types of series.

Thanks for the TL

Dex-chan lover
But it's not really her fault. By her own admission, she was acting as a tool to Odette's father who wants to make certain only his outcome is possible.
She chose to obey his orders. That is her fault. She also refused to speak when her much higher authority, the Princess, ordered her to; that is choosing loyalty to the duke over the kingdom.

If she died, wouldn't that have not only stopped the marriage. But, also dying in a trainee exam would have ruined their reputation, no? That's normally how things pan out for nobles in these types of series.

Thanks for the TL
no one was going to die; it was to force the use of the armband to give up.

Dex-chan lover
"my duchy, my duchy, i do everything for my duchy" bitch you ain't gonna have a duchy once they get out of there, did you really think this betrayal was going to be rewarded? there better be some consequences for that noble family

Users who are viewing this thread