Hoist The Colors: Forum Theme Contest [Light]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Make sure you read the contest thread carefully before submitting your entry in this thread. Please do not post anything except submissions to the contest in this thread.

Submission Format:
At least 1 screenshot, but no more than 3, of various pages on MangaDex showing off your theme!

Give a short blurb describing your inspiration for the theme and feel free to say something like what your favorite anime/manga/manhua/manwha is. We always like to read about our fellow weebs and get to know them!

Group Leader
(Theme based on) Modus Operandi

The Modus themes are two full themes for the GNU Emacs editor with the goal of providing a score of AAA according to the WCAG to the editor's interface.

This Mangadex theme is based on the base colors of the Modus Operandi variants (i.e. the light mode one) but due to limitations in the site compared to Emacs it can't meet the same standards, hence the "based on" in the name.

Most importantly some elements cannot be styled, so it doesn't get to AAA everywhere, but those elements are very few and found only in specific pages, so it's like 99% AAA.

Modus Operandi is a lot more colorful compared to this one, but that's simply because MD uses a lot of greys while Emacs is expected to be a rainbow for one reason or another. Still, each grey still meets the required contrast level.

The blue primary, instead of orange, is simply because I personally thought it looked better overall, it doesn't have to be strictly that blue.

Screenshots:
Screenshot-2023-08-14-16-46-24-53-3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Screenshot-2023-08-14-16-59-28-57-3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Screenshot-2023-08-14-17-00-48-64-3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

Group Leader
Theme URL

The inspiration for the theme was mostly the colors I tend to usually use, so I was wondering how the site would look with something based on them.

And my favorite mangas tend to be mecha based, specifically the Gundam series.

Though besides that I'm quite enjoying some manhwas now as well, especially the Greatest Estate Manager.

Thank you for your time, and have a good day

Screenshot_199.png
Screenshot_201.png

Group Leader
Theme: Selenized Light (slightly modified for MangaDex). MIT License as per GitHub link.

Low contrast light themes are my life and blood. I tried implementing Solarized Light but it seems to be way too low contrast for MangaDex. I like the mangas I translate, and I especially like Nise Seijo Kuso of the Year. Go read the novel too, it's a really fun and cohesive read!

image.png

image.png

image.png

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Coffee light theme, base colors are taken from this palette. Pretty much all colors should be customized. Created it because someone said, there are already enough dark themes inbuilt and it'd be more useful to have another light one. Submitting this, because I didn't end up doing another mint light theme...
Regarding my preferences, currently I'm looking forward to another Hanako chapter the most...

9cUbmFI.png

1msQy0W.png
BS2wS0u.png

Last edited:
sakura theme
pink is my favorite color so i decided to make a pink theme, i have most themeable software on pink already so it makes sense to want mangadex to be pink as well. i went with a cute light pink for this as i fell that fits the light theme and it’s very cute. im actually a ui/ux designer so i made this from scratch checking legibility and ux, im proud of how it came out and will probably also make a dark version too.
i love reading cute romcoms and yuri and i feel like this theme fits that mood perfectly. a theme for the girlies :3
UF764Vu.png
vC0ofaZ.png
Q66iWZL.png

Ultra Light Mode
For when the joyous brightness of regular light mode just isn't enough.
Maybe it's early in the morning and you want to start your day energetically, maybe you just read something so horrendous that you decided that seeing things just isn't worth it anymore, maybe you just completed the most amazing manga ever and came to the conclusion that you were satisfied with vision, maybe you're trying to maximize your energy usage in the least significant ways imaginable. Doesn't matter why you use it, one thing's for sure: The possibilities are endless. The question Ultra Light Mode asks is "What greater high is there to achieve?" and the answer is yes. Life is an experience that is greatly limited by one factor: time. So I ask you, in this moment, that will never come again and will seem utterly insignificant compared to all the experiences we won't be a part of, all the billions of years to come, which we won't be a part of, in which you won't be able to make this choice anymore, I ask you: What are you waiting for?

Human Rights
Based on me and my story. The importance of feeling validated wherever you go online, and especially in a hobby that is so deeply connected to the LGBTQP+ community. Manga and anime have taught me a lot about myself and given me the opportunity to explore my own identity. This theme is my way of saying thank you.

A theme for anyone who wants to feel welcome and accepted by the staff and community. I would nominate 'Human Rights' as the name of the theme - if it were to win.
theme.png

Good ol' pastel pink theme

Everyone loves these kinds of themes (I do) that we used to have back in the day in forums and cool stuff (literally anything but discord) so why not have them in here too :3

I tried to keep a bit of orange (since it's kind of a brand thingy) on the Primary color but it is hard :( pls don't be too harsh on me.

Any suggestions or changes would be really appreciated, since I know I will not be winning anything but I will keep using this theme forever <33

US5SZHA.png

v9Gh2VC.png

vmNtrGe.png

Group Leader
I proudly present the POTATO THEME.

The potato theme is a gem of technology:
  • State-of-the-art compatibility with a wide range of browsers, operating systems and devices.
  • Easy maintenance for the developers.
  • Well-structured HTML optimized for accessibility, so blind people can use their screen readers listen to their favourite handholding manga.
  • RESTful: 1 URL = 1 resource, period.
  • Easy use, with all the necessary hyperlinks immediately available.
  • Fully functional even without Adobe Flash and JavaScript.
  • No bloat in the empty space, so you can focus on the content (the manga!), not the website itself. Remember, it's supposed to be a website, not a Christmas tree full of animated lights everywhere.
  • Responsive design, it won't break if you read long-strip manhwa on your connected toothbrush.
  • Contains an "emergency switch" shortcut to hide your questionable reads when a non-weeb asks you why you're blushing while looking at your phone/PC. It'll immediately hide in a single click the content with innocent-looking pages with boring advice about homework and empowering the synergies at your workplace.
  • Usable by people of any IQ, no matter how low.
  • Certified standard-compliant by the World Wide Web Consortium.
The potato theme will make the smile of your waifu/husbando shine brighter than ever!
mdtheme.png

Also, even if I were to ever win the contest with this semi-joke theme, I don't want any prize. If you got money, buy the printed version of the manga you love, believe me, paper books are the best!

I've always thought that the Light Theme requires a more subtle, nuanced touch. I call it, "I can't see shit until I hover over something, and now I can barely see it, but the image preview is absolute garbage so I can't read what little I can see and I'm about to puke."

Here is Rosé Pine Dawn, based on the open-source color scheme of the same name. This is my favorite light theme of all time (as it doesn't absolutely destroy my eyes), so I decided to port it over to Mangadex.

Make sure you read the contest thread carefully before submitting your entry in this thread. Please do not post anything except submissions to the contest in this thread.

Submission Format:
At least 1 screenshot, but no more than 3, of various pages on MangaDex showing off your theme!

Give a short blurb describing your inspiration for the theme and feel free to say something like what your favorite anime/manga/manhua/manwha is. We always like to read about our fellow weebs and get to know them!
Well...
I call this cyan nothingness.
Tbh I'm more of dark mode person but cyan Is my favorite color and yea I just made this on the flow.
muun6l.jpg
pcr65r.jpg
02k9r3.jpg

at first i was gonna do a green and blue theme like a grass field and sky but the green didn't fit so went for a sky look instead
imma call it sky-blue
and my favorite manga rn is Call of the Night but my all time favorite is tokyo revengers

Screenshot_2023-08-15_160643.png
Screenshot_2023-08-15_155633.png
Screenshot_2023-08-15_155609.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread