Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! - Vol. 3 Ch. 20.2

Double-page supporter
By the way, why is Rena considered a gyaru? She seems rather different from others with that label, not least Fuyuki.

thank you mom for being best girl
and yes I do have mommy issues, how could you tell?

Contributor
Am I suppose to care about new girl?
Gyaru rank:
Mama > Mimi >>>>>>>>>>> Neighbour

Best part of this series is the stalwart refusal to introduce the "misunderstanding for dramatic effect" crap. "Oh, this guy I kinda like is hanging out with another girl? Cool, maybe we can be friends too!"

Supporter
@Xitel: Well as the old adage goes, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer", this still applies to the current situation. Both Fuyuki and her mom are currently partaking in this idea, it's just done to a more subtle degree than what is usual for this kinda of manga story. Though I do commend Tsubasa on revealing to Rena that there was someone he cared deeply about, instead of keeping it a secret when she hinted at dating, Fuyuki was obviously miffed that he introduced her as a 'classmate', rather than a "precious friend".

@DevLogger To me it really feels more like Fuyuki is just unconcerned enough to not worry about it. It feels more like she isn't actually thinking of Tsubasa as a romantic interest, even though her mom wants her to. She's demonstrated repeatedly through the series that she's very friendly with everyone, so it's entirely possible that she really just doesn't see a problem with him hanging out with another friend, especially since even Tsubasa is too dense to get that Rena want's to date him.

Supporter
@Xitel: I'm sorry but I have to politely disagree on the assertion that Fuyuki doesn't have romantic feelings for Tsubasa. While it's true that she really does get along with everyone, among the many points throughout the story, the Valentine's Day chapter should have been enough to show that she considers Tsubasa special beyond anyone else. Though it's possible that she may not have a problem, per sé, with him hanging out with other females, she most certainly likes to know what such a scenario entails, as well as wanting to be involved just as often. What I see more and more is that Tsubasa's interaction with other girls is causing Fuyuki to realize her own feelings for him.

@DevLogger I never said that she doesn't have romantic feelings, but as you pointed out she herself isn't aware of them. She certainly considers him special, but I don't think she realizes WHY, and as such isn't feeling jealous necessarily.

Dex-chan lover
@Xitel If she's unaware of her romantic feelings, wouldn't follow that she could be unaware of the jealousy as well? Or rather, that seems to be a whole thing in manga to begin with. Not sure why they feel like this, "well, you're jealous." Whaaaat? Why? "Well, you're in love." Wut. Not an uncommon sort of interaction between one of the characters and a supporting cast member.

Supporter
@Xitel: Well, when you said "It feels more like she isn't actually thinking of Tsubasa as a romantic interest...", I just assumed you were saying that she doesn't have romantic feelings for him, lol. This is getting a bit confusing, so I'm just going to summarize by offering that Fuyuki is becoming aware of her feelings for Tsubasa, that are growing onto a romantic level; on one hand, she doesn't want to monopolize him, but she's also more than just casually curious about how he's spending his time when she's not with him. She might not be jealous of his interactions with other girls yet, and may actually welcome their company, but it's sure to come about, especially if the others prove to be rivals of love, when she fully understands how she feels about him. I really do like though that Fuyuki isn't the typical, ridiculously possessive main heroine who barely maintains a veneer of tolerance for those who vie for the attention of the person she's interested in; that trope is all too common in harem stories.

@DevLogger Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. I just like that the author isn't going with the trope of "I'm not dating him but nobody else can go near him because I like him!" stuff for drama. Sure, that kind of thing can be done well, but it so often isn't that it's refreshing to see an author just ignore it altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread