Honzuki no Gekokujou ~Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen~ Dai 2-bu 「Hon no Tamenara Miko ni Naru!」 - Vol. 10 Ch. 49 - A Tour of the…

Dex-chan lover
she makes a Gen 1 printing press and thinks nothing of it..... that is the same tech that revolutionized bookmaking and allowed for businesses such as newspaper companies to become viable. It also accelerated information spread, though it still took a while for that to happen. Honestly sometimes Myne not understanding how amazing what she is doing is frustrates me.
That happens a lot lol. But thankfully Ferdinand is already seeing the future

To be fair, Myne has no idea what the issue is and nobody is bothering to explain it to her.
So for once, its not actually only her fault....
Just mostly because the reason they don't bother is because she is insane anyhow.
Yeah…that’s actually gonna happen a LOT as Myne deals with nobles. They constantly get mad at her for not knowing what nobody bothered to teach her

Having read up to date with the light novels I now understand the dirty looks over the Katrua game so much better, she's basically teaching these tiny orphans stuff nobles don't learn until a year or 2 before high school.
A high school that is a highly competitive environment with nation wide diplomatic consequences.
It would be like visiting a kindergarten, and the teacher casually exclaiming "Oh don't mind those, I'm just teaching the kiddies some basic nuclear physics equations"

Dex-chan lover
she makes a Gen 1 printing press and thinks nothing of it..... that is the same tech that revolutionized bookmaking and allowed for businesses such as newspaper companies to become viable. It also accelerated information spread, though it still took a while for that to happen. Honestly sometimes Myne not understanding how amazing what she is doing is frustrates me.
I mean, to be fair, knowing what something is and how to make it doesn't require knowledge of the consequences that thing brought. Certainly Myne had the ability to research the consequences of the printing press, and most certainly did learn of some of even only through osmosis, but she is so obsessed with books and the idea of books that it's likely any negative consequence associated with the technology is immediately stricken from her memory or disassociated from their source.
Besides, like most people born after the initial invention of a commonly used thing/idea, it's entirety possible that she is so absolutely used to it that she simply cannot grasp the magnitude of what she has introduced. Even if the knowledge is within her, her absolute desire for books overrides that knowledge and pushes it into the mundane but necessary.

I guess an absurd but comparable situation would be someone from a "world of magic" accidentally transporting themselves to our world (one without magic) and requiring the infrastructure to exist to be able to return home, so they forcibly introduce magic to our world, turning everything on its head, without a thought of the potential consequences of introducing such a thing. (Imagine that the usage of magic creates monstrous beings that can only be fought using magic, or pollution generated by magic and only able to be cleaned with magic, etc. but they don't mention these things either because they don't know/associate them with magic or as unusual/don't care because they want to get home.)
That's effectively what she's doing, but in a less "fantastical" way...

Dex-chan lover
That happens a lot lol. But thankfully Ferdinand is already seeing the future

Yeah…that’s actually gonna happen a LOT as Myne deals with nobles. They constantly get mad at her for not knowing what nobody bothered to teach her

It isn't that they don't bother to teach her, the problem is the discrepancy in their upbringing. Most nobles aren't brought up by their parents but by their retainers. So most of the stuff isn't things high nobility ever considers. It is just the basics everyone should know

On top of that, Myne has knowledge of being an adult, so on the surface she just seems like someone who knows what they are doing but just a bit eccentric. But since she wasn't brought up by nobility, little things fall through the cracks

Having read up to date with the light novels I now understand the dirty looks over the Katrua game so much better, she's basically teaching these tiny orphans stuff nobles don't learn until a year or 2 before high school.
A high school that is a highly competitive environment with nation wide diplomatic consequences.
It would be like visiting a kindergarten, and the teacher casually exclaiming "Oh don't mind those, I'm just teaching the kiddies some basic nuclear physics equations"

I wouldn't go that far, most will start learning to read in the playroom at 10 years old if they didn't earlier. Then they will go to the academy at 12.

But yes the issue was that unbaptized children younger than 7 knowing to read when many lower nobility still can't read well at 10

Dex-chan lover
Ferdinand, master of delegating authority :thumbsup:

I almost wish I didn't know who Sylvester really is, since that would make his scene with Benno that much more intriguing. With that said, I'm impressed with how well the sly (ha!) sense of menace he projects comes out in the artwork :win:

Poor Damuel, reminds me a bit of a song...
"Sylvester to the left of me, Ferdinand to the right...and I'm stuck in the middle with Myne" 🎶 :worry:

Dex-chan lover
SdKfWfI.png

Ferdinand just predicted the future
almost prophesy
That page cracked me up like three different times. The whole back-and-forth between her and Sylvester was just . . .

Dex-chan lover
Printing press and paper industry also went hand in hand. With the easy way of printing books/newspapers/graphics/etc, there was an endless demand for quality paper, which provided capital for developing the heavy pulp and paper industry.
While that's certainly true, it kind of feels like saying the Apollo program was important because it led to the development of better ballpoint pens.

Double-page supporter
Can I have spoilers for the situation between Benno and Sylvester?
He is the Lord of that land.

Spoiler tags are not showing... i don't know what i have to do :qq:.
I figured it out xD

Dex-chan lover
Then again, nobody ever bothers to learn that she can easily be kept under control... With B.O.O.K.S.

Like seriously, just dump her in the library and have her attendants care for her food and heat and whatnots. Bam, you have successfully tamed Myne, at no additional cost.

The problem is that only keep her 'quiet', and in some way that's the WORST state to leave her in.
It's good for keeping her still for a short time, but that's all.

Just recall how many things she just do 'on the side' that become the sort of things to get put under classified secret stuffs.
Accidentally learn how to amass tronbe (she only used it just for making rare papers, but imagine the potential damage if you toss that into enemy territory or as mentioned in that chapter it being used to replace mana absorbing magic tool)
Created Karuta/other learning toys that help children learn (guess who else needs to learn the name of the gods she put on these karuta)

Heck, there's some stuffs she's already done that even the others haven't noticed yet.
Like her new way of mana compression that's so effective even adults whose vessel stopped growing can still show noticeable increase in mana.
She's been doing that since the beginning of the story (when she stuff back the fever)

But it's only after she casually teach it to Damuel and his growth got noticed that her guardians finally step in.

Dex-chan lover
In this one myne still don't know who actually Sylvester right?

Group Leader
Nah he's the next rank down from that - the Archduke of Ehrenfest. Arguably actually a bigger deal within his own city.

Archduke is still an extremely high rank outside of his territory, only the King can order him around, not even the Crown Prince or other Dukes can touch him.

Double-page supporter
Nah he's the next rank down from that - the Archduke of Ehrenfest. Arguably actually a bigger deal within his own city.
Yo, he is the literal lord of Ehrenfest, that is what an Archduke means, he is a really big deal.

Dex-chan lover

Archduke is still an extremely high rank outside of his territory, only the King can order him around, not even the Crown Prince or other Dukes can touch him.

Umm, they can actually. In noble society the one in lower standing is expected to accede to/obey the one in higher standing and Ehrenfest right now is among the lower ranking duchies.

The pressure from royal family/other high rank duchies are actually VERY relevant to the plot.

Aggregator gang
She most definitely knows how amazing it is, as you can see from everything she says in chapter 45 (though she doesn't know enough about the current world to understand who will be immediately impacted by it).

She's not trying to talk about how revolutionary it all is because she thinks that point was already communicated via Frans (last panel of page 21) - but she did a bad job explaining it, so Frans also failed to report it properly to Ferdinand. So she's trying to explain the low-level details about how it works, while Ferdinand is only now grasping the big picture.

Users who are viewing this thread