Honzuki no Gekokujou ~Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen~ Dai 2-bu 「Hon no Tamenara Miko ni Naru!」 - Vol. 9 Ch. 45.5 - New Sweets

Dex-chan lover
oh? A rare isekai take where everyone don't suddenly have their clothes blasted to smithereens after trying out modern sweets? Approved.
I find this rather weird and unbelievable actually.

I forgot but are sweets/sugar rare in this world? If they are, then why the hell would people dislike sweet desserts???

Puddings are basically sweet fat, its texture isn't that weird or rare.

Also, do they not even have frozen desserts before ice cream?? What about iced wine, iced fruits? In our world, frozen desserts have been a tasty and expensive treat since ancient time. So why would people hate it here???

I always knew that the history/technology of this world is so fucking weird and confusing, but I can't believe that this is the chapter that made me drop the series.

I forgot but are sweets/sugar rare in this world? If they are, then why the hell would people dislike sweet desserts???

Also, do they not even have frozen desserts before ice cream?? What about iced wine, iced fruits? In our world, frozen desserts have been a tasty and expensive treat since ancient time. So why would people hate it here???

I always knew that the history/technology of this world is so fucking weird and confusing, but I can't believe that this is the chapter that made me drop the series.
Swets are indeed a rare in this world, sugar is imported and honey is expensive.
The pudding texture should be be somewhat rare whit closest thing to it beeing something like youghurt which I dont remember is is present in this world and whould be anyway somewhat rare to use by common folk since it need to prepared from milk bought in the city from farmers.
Soft fat should also be rare since is spoiling fast. Their main source of solid fat are pigs and the common method of preservation is smoking which harden the pig fat, anything non-smoked would be rendered to preserved and would have a texture similar whit soft butter but would not be something wich they take bites from it.
About ice cream is to note that the closest thing to common people would be things chiled in cold water since icehouse are again a thing more avaible to nobles and rich merchant, and would not matter anyway, since the testers being gray prest would receive their food after the blue priest finished eating and supposedly already heated to room temperature.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks so much for your efforts thus far TOOR, and for giving us something to look forward to the first of every month :win:

I'm also inclined to disbelieve that any sort of sweet treat (especially the uncomplicated ones presented) would rate so low, but then again this is a world full of dancing mushrooms and deadly water balloons, so...let's just take the comedy at face value :meguusmug:

.... you know you translate this... the latest raw is always free why did you not grab the last couple of chapters while they were free instead of making some excuse to get money

Power Uploader
.... you know you translate this... the latest raw is always free why did you not grab the last couple of chapters while they were free instead of making some excuse to get money
That's why I said if anyone's willing to donate THE RAW. They are always paywalled on Amazon, and I'm not sure what "free" source you're talking about. Assuming it exists and someone already ripped it, I'm sure they could just share the files with us without any money involved, and trust me, I did try digging through raw aggregator to see if there's any free rip.

Dex-chan lover

Just because something is rare, doesn't mean it fit everyone taste. Especially if it some specialty of some foreign regions (take someone who rarely eaten sweets trying US pastry for the first time, or asking Western to try insect based dish). That being said, I think it less the taste & more the memory associated with it. This is clearly not a region where they experience extreme heat occurs, but extreme cold does. Now a day people eat cold or hot whenever, but this is time periods where they have chapters where they are just lock in for whole winter because how cold it is. Maybe that stigma affects the sampling?

Dex-chan lover
Swets are indeed a rare in this world, sugar is imported and honey is expensive.
The pudding texture should be be somewhat rare whit closest thing to it beeing something like youghurt which I dont remember is is present in this world and whould be anyway somewhat rare to use by common folk since it need to prepared from milk bought in the city from farmers.
Soft fat should also be rare since is spoiling fast. Their main source of solid fat are pigs and the common method of preservation is smoking which harden the pig fat, anything non-smoked would be rendered to preserved and would have a texture similar whit soft butter but would not be something wich they take bites from it.
About ice cream is to note that the closest thing to common people would be things chiled in cold water since icehouse are again a thing more avaible to nobles and rich merchant, and would not matter anyway, since the testers being gray prest would receive their food after the blue priest finished eating and supposedly already heated to room temperature.
On the fat issue, I'm sure they have butter, which is the fat most often used in pudding, although pudding doesn't really need much fat--mainly sugar, milk, plus corn starch and/or flour. Eggs for custard. Mind you, anyone except nobles is going to mostly have rather coarse whole wheat flour, which isn't going to make great pudding. And as you say, they won't have much sugar available. Still, there was medieval custard. I think it tended to be a bit more eggy and a bit less sweet than modern.

Agreed on ice cream. Anyone who isn't really rich isn't going to be able to manage ice cream except in winter . . . and who wants ice cream in winter, especially a winter without central heating?

On the fat issue, I'm sure they have butter, which is the fat most often used in pudding, although pudding doesn't really need much fat--mainly sugar, milk, plus corn starch and/or flour. Eggs for custard. Mind you, anyone except nobles is going to mostly have rather coarse whole wheat flour, which isn't going to make great pudding. And as you say, they won't have much sugar available. Still, there was medieval custard. I think it tended to be a bit more eggy and a bit less sweet than modern.

Agreed on ice cream. Anyone who isn't really rich isn't going to be able to manage ice cream except in winter . . . and who wants ice cream in winter, especially a winter without central heating?
Regarding the fat, my comment was refferincing more on the issue of texture, or more exactly how soft, wobbly fat was probably not common as is necesary to prepare it for storage very fast to not spoil and that the main source of animal fat was pig as per what I observed, the simillaraty of texture betwen the dish and fat being the point of the comment to wich I replied. The pudding in manga is clearly the custard based dish, this is why I did not considered the butter, with wich use in medieval time I am also not familiar as the country where I am from was traditionaly inclied to use lard(i.e. the rendered pig fat which I mentioned) in pastries.

Dex-chan lover

Sugar is extremely rare and horrendously expensive. It was also recently introduced from a neighboring territory. So the only people that have access to sugar are the extremely wealthy merchants that does business with the higher nobility. I think it was said that if Myne's family wanted to buy it would cost around 5 years of her dad's salary. Beyond sugar the only other sweetener is honey. Honey still expensive but a lot more accessible than sugar, but still outside what is afforded to the poor commoner and more something that is afforded to a successful wealthier merchants. The sweets commoners had access to were fruits they can get when out foraging.

Also there is no forms of refrigeration for the commoner. If it's not fresh, it's preserved. Everything that is consumed for the commoner is either cooked or room temp. If I remember correctly, there is something like a cold room but that's something only afforded to the nobility because it's done through a magic tool and requires someone with magic power to keep it powered and running.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover

They already said sugar is rare, beno didnt even have it and had to be imported.

But I think ice cream gets more positive reviews from nobles then commoners and grey priests. As you can imagine, cold stuff wouldnt be that popular with people who have to worry about freezing to death

And for both ice cream and pudding, it would depend a lot on Ella's skill. So it wouldnt be out of the question for first few products to come out wrong. Even more so due to limited tooling like ice room doesnt let you control how cold it is. Too cold can make ice cream turn like eating chunks of ice

Users who are viewing this thread