Horimiya - Vol. 16 Ch. 119.7 - Twenty Years Before

Group Leader
@deathmailrock That definitely doesn't stop me from feeling uncomfortable. Abuse is *never* comical or funny. Sure, you can gloss over it once or twice because this is fiction but when it's happening frequently and without a decent reason, it stops being acceptable. As proof, many other comments have expressed that they're uncomfortable with hori physically abusing Miyamura, though I'm sure that even more people would be vocal about the same thing if it was Hori, who was hit for talking to another guy. It's sad, really. I've followed this manga from its early days. I still remember how cute they were together and how much I liked Hori but she's been getting worse and worse for some reason.

Ah yes, the ultimate expression of love, physical abuse. I'm worried about what kind of household the author grew up in.

TSP

Group Leader
@Himecchi
It's certainly a sore spot for a lot of people, understandably :(
Not that it's particularly relevant to anything you or anyone has been saying, but just reminded me that the way we get through the abuse in our group is that there's a general pattern that started several years ago of the author deconstructing all characters and their previous character development by making them the butt of repetitive jokes. It's happening to pretty much all of the main characters, so we treat it as shit writing and ignore it in terms of its impact on characters xDDD

Dex-chan lover
@Himecchi But it's an extremely common joke in Japanese media. So common that it's a cultural joke.

You (and they) are taking the joke more seriously than it is meant to be taken.

It's like the peace sign. In the US, it means peace, but in some nations, it's actually the equivalent of the middle finger.

Now, if a person who saw that kept on getting offended by American media over and over, then the problem would be with the person, not the media.

In the same way, this kind of joke is too common in anime/manga to complain about it. You got to accept that it's a different culture and a different medium.

oh i didn't know about the web manga. good to know. yeah i always treat horimiya as slice-of-life

Group Leader
@macreadymind *sigh* I don't know how else to explain so I'll just say it one last time.
Yes, I have read many manga and seen many anime where a guy getting hit by a jealous girl is a common occurrence and is usually made the butt of the joke. I have a problem with the whole "haha men getting hit for things that are 0% their fault is funny" trope whilst fully aware that it's very prominent in Japanese media. Sure, this is fiction and I shouldn't judge it by the standards of real life, but the charm of sol is that it's more realistic than other genres. On top of that, there are different reasons why we read sol romance, right? For example, I'm single. Reading the romance genre is kind of a way for me to "live a fulfiling romantic life" via characters I like. It also satisfies my "wholesome" urges. I got into Hormiya because I liked the initial concept. I liked the dynamics Hori and Miyamura had in the beginning even before they started dating. Their dating also escalated naturally. You don't read many similar stories where getting intimate is depicted as casually as here so it also brought a sense of freshness. Until some point, the relationship between Hori and Miyamura fully matched what I envisioned to be a healthy relationship. Then Hori became hysterical, overly jealous, abusive (and yes, slapping your bf\gf just because they talked to somebody of different sex is physical abuse] and I started to feel uncomfortable. Since I'm projecting my single self on those characters, I'm bringing in my values while reading the story and in my mind, I feel iffy about girls who get handsy. Does this explain why I'm saying what I'm saying? just because something is depicted in media doesn't mean that it's not problematic.
If you don't mind girls like Hori that's on you, but I do hope you get where I and many others are coming from. Getting physical with your significant other isn't cute. You can't expect me to go like "haha classic hori" when she pulls this shit millionth time and continue enjoying their relationship.

Hori and Miyamura in 10 years
e039558e003f52792115fa8cdec5bf8de868b74bbc93aaec3cdf3ccfa1d81ea2_1.jpg

this manga feels like clannad w/o the sad part to me. And i love it
take me 1 day w/o sleep to read it from chapter 1 till this new chapter.

I want a manga just about yuriko and kyosuke, I feel like their relationship is a lot more interesting -3-

w bruh the story was great for a few chapters but its just gone poof after awhile that i just dropped it but seems it still have the same story but different characters this time around

@deathmailrock "common" and "cultural joke" isn't really an excuse for continuing to make abuse the butt of jokes. Times are changing, leave the "comical" women hitting men for no reason in the past. If writers would stop doing it, it would stop being a thing, and we could look back at old manga and go "yeah, they used to find that funny before we realised how problematic it is."

Dex-chan lover
@Lhmac Yah, well, lots of people still enjoy it. We know that it's exaggerated and slapstick and know that it's not meant to be taken seriously.

And many of us Asians grew up spanked and pinched by our moms...

The West has a bit more of a weariness with it because of the history of violence it has (racial and other wise) and certain other issues.

My uncles, when they come to the states wonder why people are so averse to these kinda of humor, and when I show some of the history the West dealt with, they were horrified.

It's the same for other things like localization and stuff.

When people in other Asian countries see white washing or other stuff that would seem offensive in the West, many times, they don't care and even think it's funny.

But with our history if an Asian person recreates a story that was originally using Black people, the black man would most likely be offended. Because the history and racial issues we had.

It's the same for how we view violence and stuff. We Westerners have had actual issues as a culture with it, so we are more sensitive about it.

To the Japanese and other Asians who feel that it's their cultural duty to look out for the neighborhood and have a much more social bond, these kinda things are often viewed as funnier.

They even have an entire skit thing called Manzai, where hitting your partner is the norm. It's still a big thing in Japan.

Hell, even in the West, when watching cartoons, what kids often find funniest is the comic violence.

It might seem weird and wrong to you, but try to understand that you have a huge cultural bias.

I personally don't see it as problematic and enjoy this kind of humor. Hell, we all often find dark humor interesting (Family Guy and Simpsons and South Park are proof of that).

And we clearly know that it's not meant to be taken seriously and that it's harmless fun.

@deathmailrock You think domestic abuse isn't a thing in Asian countries just because no one talks about it? If so, maybe you should look into human nature a bit more.

I think Hori didn't "get" violent as the story progressed. I think she's just expressing herself more now.. and isn't ashamed of it anymore. Setting aside abuse and other common comic jokes, it's growth for both Hori and Miyamura.

Miya was hiding his badaasery and Hori was hiding her home duties (for reasons I was never able to comprehend) and ever since they started dating, they were able to slowly shed away the things they're hiding.. and letting shine they're real quirks. Jealousy and temper, but also their affections for each other. Looking at it in a bigger picture, it's really beautiful how they were able to grow so much and is now able to express themselves freely to all their friends, instead of just them being able to see their "true selves."

Fed-Kun's army
that was a bitchslap right there..... and kyouske was like "Gotta marry this girl right now".

Users who are viewing this thread