How Long Until We Get Married? - Vol. 1 Ch. 9 - Retirement ver.

Double-page supporter
I reread this, it doesn't seem so bad tbh. Which may just be retrospect, of course. Just saying that had we read this as a whole and not with the suspense of waiting for new chapters, we'd chalk this up more as a short and bittersweet manga rather than a trainwreck that wasted our time (like Gal Cleaning if I remember correctly).
Ya, I think if it all came out together like a oneshot it would have been fine. On the flipside, I personally think that on the whole this is like a 5 or 6 star series even with the okay ending.

Fed-Kun's army
This was a happy ending. I really wished that the score on this manga didn’t drop so hard. People gotta realize that these things happen man! It’s not always rainbows the whole way. Happy that they reunited titanic style after she lived her life
Well, people read manga to escape reality and to feel joy to read a wholesome manga. Dealing with real life is already stressful enough. Need those wholesome manga to release some stress

Dex-chan lover
Imagine the ending was the girl waking up next to her husband and going: "Honey I just had the worst nightmare. I dreamt that you died before we even got married and I never moved on and raised our daughter alone." and her husband replies: "Wow. That would suck if that actually happened."

Dex-chan lover
This was a happy ending. I really wished that the score on this manga didn’t drop so hard. People gotta realize that these things happen man! It’s not always rainbows the whole way.
I don't read manga to read about things that "happen man", especially when they just happen.

This may lead to more work for him so to be honest I can't fault it (like, why do you think Rent a Girlfriend's writing is so unhinged).
Because everyone's tsundere about it and they secretly love it/understand that they are literally Kazuya.

Dex-chan lover
Surprised that she didn't end up remarrying. Still a pretty dumb twist to put in, not surprised by the influx of 1 star ratings.
Honestly, I think there wouldn't be as many 1 star reviews IF the tragedy tag was on this to begin with. It wasn't until the chapter when the tragedy happened that it was given the tag. So people who were here for something wholesome got hit by that drunk driver just like MC did

Dex-chan lover
lol

I halt reading my shit for a week just to come back to this plot twist. Well, shit.

Dex-chan lover
Imagine the ending was the girl waking up next to her husband and going: "Honey I just had the worst nightmare. I dreamt that you died before we even got married and I never moved on and raised our daughter alone." and her husband replies: "Wow. That would suck if that actually happened."
What is Clannad.

Dex-chan lover
So... The translation is appreciated, first off, and also withholding the tragedy tag at first.

I understand why so many are upset with the way the story went, and the word you're looking for is poignant. It does not deserve low ratings in my opinion as it's really quite beautiful, if heart-breakingly so. The author did a wonderful job of evoking strong emotions and really linking an invested reader to the characters, and what they felt: love followed by shock, sadness, disappointment. So many being upset demonstrates, in itself, that it's good writing; it should make you feel what's being portrayed.

No, it wasn't the fluff many of us expected, but for me it was definitely excellent and rewarding. I guess I'm reminded of something a professor said about love stories, "Remember, Romeo and Juliet is a TRAGEDY"

lol

I halt reading my shit for a week just to come back to this plot twist. Well, shit.
Yep, lol. I saw that it was ending soon so I figured I'd leave it to enjoy the fluff all in one go once it was all translated--came back to this. Anyways I don't mind it; hard to be too angry about decisions made in this type of thin manga. It's not like this is betraying our deeply held understandings of the characters or anything lol. Put another way, this is no more unreasonable a decision than it would've been to do pure fluff. Either way it's just relatively "cheap" emotional hits and I can appreciate both the tragic version and the joyful version.

Dex-chan lover
my taste buds are fucked up but lays are boring af. They taste like salt and that's it. Cheetos puffs are way better

Dex-chan lover
A simple bittersweet ending. Taking this as a whole, it isn‘t as bad as people made it out to be, it’s a nice quick read. Not everything needs to be fluff and pure wholesomeness, there are other flavors out there.

Dex-chan lover
Surprised that she didn't end up remarrying. Still a pretty dumb twist to put in, not surprised by the influx of 1 star ratings.
Kind of cringe tbh, the author did a good spin on it in my opinion.

Double-page supporter
Cheetos has projectile-like shape. It can choke you just for getting on to your throat vertically.
Doritos has triangle shape. I assume it could stab and slit your throat if it goes to your throat vertically.

So yeah Doritos kills.

Supporter
Honestly, I think my biggest issue with this series is that without the twist it would just be an extremely generic cute time skip story. Because of just how generic it is the twist feels like something that only exists to differentiate it and that just makes it feel very cheap to me.

I will say it is still better than the 1 star ratings it has recieved, but given how the manga presents itself along with the fairly "meh" payoff in the end I can't say I'm surprised by it getting them either.

Dex-chan lover
I don't remember my mother. My dad was a single dad for a while. Not gonna lie, he probably remarried because he couldn't bear raising kids alone and needed help. Fortunately my stepmother could do it. I've had a partner for the entire time I've been a parent, and frankly, I don't know how he did it. Mad respect for anyone who does, whether it's for a while like Dad or forever like this lady.

Shortly before he died, he told my stepmother about having a dream of meeting his first wife in heaven. I don't know what to say about that, except he must have missed her until the end, despite having happily remarried. I personally found this story both gut-wrenching and wonderful. I wonder if the author also has some personal story behind it like the connection I felt.

Users who are viewing this thread