How to Fight - Vol. 1 Ch. 59 - I thought it would be another one of those stories

Dex-chan lover
Lmao, those gangsters look like they're in their early 20s.

Guys, so I got curious and went to check the law cited in this chapter. Apparently, the author is NOT exaggerating. He based this on the Juvenile Act, passed in 1995.

The translation is simplified, but the gist is correct: juveniles over the age of 10 but under the age of 14 who have committed criminal offenses (which I assume include murder, although in this case the crime they committed is manslaughter) are not tried in a criminal court; instead they’re tried under a thing called “protective detention” (as stated in Chapter 2, Article 4, Section 1, Clause 2).

Protective Detention has many “punishments” (as defined in Section 3, Article 32, Paragraph 1), some of which do include “Juvenile Reformatory”, but it is completely possible for them to get away with “short-term probation” or “order to attend a lecture” (idk what this means). In addition, Article 32 Paragraph 6 stated that the protective disposition “must not affect the juvenile’s future status”, which I assume means “no permanent criminal record”?

They also mentioned having to write “essays”, which is probably included in the “alternative education” that they may receive only when they are under a short-term or a long-term probation (Article 32.2, Paragraph 1).

So if I understand this correctly, these guys were sentenced to probation lasting from 6 months to 2 years, and must attend “alternative education”. They won’t go to jail, they wouldn’t be tried as adults, and there is no permanent criminal record.

There are causes for appeals, but frankly I’m too tired to read that part, and Dowoon’s dad is probably too heartbroken to do so either. As insane as it seems, looks like it’s actually realistic that those guys would get away with manslaughter. It seems the Juvenile Act itself is also becoming a little controversial whenever a violent case involving juveniles appear in the news.

@Scorpio8115 doesn't surprise me considering that this manwha has a lot of social commentary on school systems, educational systems, the culture of streaming and popularity in Korea and how borderline it can become, beauty culture and a lot more.

So, Taehoon is basically traumatized into thinking that Lee Dowoon is still alive which is why he wants to fight the other boy? Also, I believe if something like this happens to Hobin he literally go on a rampage.

Power Uploader
@Insomnia I don't think he's delusional, but… maybe he thinks he needs to atone by "saving" someone from a doll-like life. He seems to have concluded that if Dowoon and he had continued to be friends, none of that would have happened, and part of the problem was that Dowoon was pretty much brainwashed into being a pushover.

So he's picking a fight with Yeonwoo because he seems to have recognised a similar basket case in him. (And from what we saw on chapter 55, he's right.) So Taehoon wants to shake him out of his apathy.

In a sense, I get where he's coming from, but beginning by beating his friends up will only alienate Yeonwoo further. People are saying Taehoon will win him over to Hobin's side, but right now I don't see this happening, unless it turns out that his friends are turncoats who abandon him when it transpires he's a fighter (though being a fighter isn't the same as being a bully and thus I see no reason why they would).

I think next chapter will end the flashback with Taehoon's wiping the floor with that gang, and then we'll see the continuation of the fight with Yeonwoo.

Rii

I want to cry but no tears are coming out, this chapter was so sad yet bittersweet.

Users who are viewing this thread