I Am the Real One - Vol. 1 Ch. 33

I don’t know why everyone is so against the father having a redemption arc. I would love for Keira to mend her relationship with her father. Obviously it shouldn’t be done cheaply, but she’s grown so much as a person from the past time line and it would be good for that growth to extend to the rest of her family. I really think the author is setting up things appropriately and I’m enjoying watching all the pieces fall into place.

Thank you for the translations!

I’m honestly enjoying seeing the dad freak out so much over Keira’s rebellion, its funny af. Is he still a terrible parent? Yes. Do I want her to forgive him? No. Do I want to see him squirm and struggle like a worm until he has zero interest in Cosettes claim? Oh hell yes. I’m just here for her growing as a person and opening up and her wholesome relationship with her little brother

@ginderreadsthings oh Idk, maybe cuz the dad turned against his own daughter that he raised (also neglected) for a complete stranger claiming to be his daughter and ordered an execution on top of it, even if she wasn’t his really daughter, that’s his wife’s child and his son's sister, but who know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For anyone who wants to read spoilers (from the novel), search up "actually I was the real one novel" and find the Novel Updates link. There's a whole discussion about the manhwa and novel, but judging from the spoilers... don't get your hopes up because the ending doesn't look so great. 😃

From what I know, no one has picked up the novel (raws are complete with 183 ch, I believe).

Just to some things up for anyone who doesn't want to go read those (which I recommend):
Spoilers about ML/romance:
People think the ML is Erez, the blonde/blue-eyed magician guy. But, from what I read, apparently there's hardly any romance at all in the story, so can he really be regarded as an ML?

Spoilers about dad/ending 😐:
This one's messy. Most of the readers really disliked the father because apparently he never really redeemed himself to the point where he deserved forgiveness from Keira. DESPITE THIS, Keira returned home from a long trip and forgave her father instantaneously, using the lines: "I'm home," and "Welcome home." (That is literally how it ends, I think) The father was also so keen on maintaining "neutrality" to the point where (to list ONLY two things): (1) he ignored assassination attempts towards Rowena (his first wife), and (2) deliberately ignored the fact that Keira was being mistreated by Cosette. Not sure if this part is true or not, but he also knew that Keira was his REAL daughter, but he allowed her execution because he only cared about having the spirit user in his family (which he believed was Cosette). As well, Keira and her brother NEVER ran away from the duke's home, even though it was hyped up that they would (or would at least need to sometime in the future).

Dex-chan lover
With regards to whether or not her dad gets some kind of redemption arc in the future, I don't really mind if he grows and becomes a better person himself, but it is waaay too late for him to realistically patch things up with his daughter. I know people IRL with bad relationships with their parents, and sometimes leaving each other alone is the best thing they can do.

The best thing he can do for her at this point is to not get in her way anymore.

(I wonder if they're ever going to address this magician using magic on his sister like that. Still really off-putting.)

Dex-chan lover
@Niconicoknee :
That's what I meant by overly conscious about being a 'proper noble'

Both of them put keeping up that noble facade over their own feelings.
Keira was too prideful and so the fake easily played her at every turn because she knew Keira would take that option.

At least for me, his face as he looked at her in ch 5 was not one of...hostility, it looked more like...shock.
And by that point the fake's conspirators have riled up the mob about Keira being evil, he basically had no other choice unless he want riots over one girl (that's probably his 'noble' side mindset working)

Anyway, the other spoilers in the comment seem to suggest the author never properly resolve that particular bit so...bleh

Yes yes yes yes i love the look on the dads face as shes leaving🖕

the little bro is sow kyuute😙

Dex-chan lover
I'm pretty sure the father will have some shitty redemption but tbh it's incredibly nice to see him suffering.

@theblueavocado

But don’t you get the impression that he wasn’t fully in control of what he was doing? We saw in earlier flashbacks that the imposter girl (sorry, I’ve forgotten her name) manipulated everyone around her... even if she’s really good at pretending, that seems suspect. She’s able to imitate the spirit summoning, why not also be able to have some sort of mind control? I think the father is the one who made the deal with the magician to turn back time and gave his daughter memories of that time so she could save herself. Obviously he’s still responsible for neglect and decisions that lead up to that point, but I have the feeling the author is setting us up for a reveal that he was more than just willing to believe a stranger and betray his daughter and more than just manipulated by a clever lie. I think magic was involved to take away a lot of his agency and free will, was backed into a corner, and did the only thing he thought he could do to save his children. I just don’t think the guy we’ve been getting to know up to this point would do the things we saw him do in the prologue. There must be other factors involved.

Actually im thinking.
If its not her dad who passed the magic to her, it could be her still young brother...

@gingerreadsthings I believe it was hinted in the beginning that the father thinks Keira's mom cheated on him. He did have two wives, the first he probably loved more and was his first love who was "infertile" (this one being Cosette's mom). The second is Keira's. With the way Keira was framed in her first life and how he believed Cosette was not at fault most likely clouded his mind. Once the spirit ability was shown by Cosette he just went stupid mad.

Still I wouldn't be surprised if some magic shenanigans happened to redeem the dad saying it wasn't entirely his fault. Though I think that would be kinda cheap get-out-of-jail free card. It would make sense if he was just a complete dick in the first life then because of the time reverse a part of his emotional regret stayed with him in the second which he is trying to make up for.

Users who are viewing this thread