I Hate The Trails of Cold Steel Series. I Can't Be The Only One, Right?

Dex-chan lover
Haha! I tricked you! I didn't hate it, I was just extremely disappointed by it, just like a father who discovered their son is a femboy twink that likes to dress up as a maid!

But seriously tho, first and foremost, I fucking love the gameplay of Cold Steel. It was so amazing I can't believe how much fun I was having with the combat system. It's better than Persona, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragons Quest, and Kami no Rhapsody (I also really love the gameplay of this one, 2nd only to cold steel).

You can move around the battle area, strategically place your characters in certain spots so enemies either cannot hit you, can only hit one person, or you're all fucked. But spreading out too thin could fuck you over too, that means you can't heal your characters so they can only rely on items. If they're too far, you're out of items, or got stunned then might as well get the casket now. I love it, I have 0 complaints with the gameplay. But the story.... my GOD I CAN'T STAND IT.

Why does everyone liked Crow so much? You barely know the guy, everyone only knows him for half a year I think, so why are you willing to forgive a traitor of your country? He's a full blown terrorist willing to kill hundreds of people including your friend just to kill one general. FOR ONE GUY! THIS GUY IS A MENACE!

Also there's a scene where one of the bad guys died in a mech, I remember I was bumping my fist in the air but the main character, on the top of his lungs, screams "NOOOOOO!". What do you mean "NOOOOOO"? You're literally in a civil war. He's here to kill you, and you're there to kill him. Honestly I wouldn't be bothered with this scene if not for the fact that everyone, every supporting characters, acts like the MC. Also, everyone also barely knows the guy. All it takes is his boo hoo backstory to make you act like this? Go home. Just go home, you're not fit for this.

Another thing I had to talk about, they said that they're in a civil war but it doesn't feel like war is going on in the background. It's like the Winnie hut Jr. Version of war. Everything seems so calm, I can't feel like they're in a destabilized country torn between two faction. Bottom line, I can't feel any tension.

This is just my rant, I have to do it cause I was so disappointed of cold steel. If you liked the game, me too I liked the game part of it. It's extremely fun and even after 90+ hours it's still fun. But if you like the story and the characters and the setting I'm so jealous of you. I tried, I really tried continuing the game, trying to stomach it, but I just can't do it. Everything just falls apart after the start of the civil war.

Dex-chan lover
i'm waiting to play cold steel until after trails from azure releases this year and i finish it. i figured i'd wait until the crossbell arc was officially released in english after it was announced so i could play them all in release order. looking forward to seeing how combat evolves in the newer games.

The One
Staff
Admin
Started with the Gagharv Trilogy and played every Legend of Heroes game released in the west (some on multiple platforms). It grew into one of my favorite franchises.

Dex-chan lover
Haha! I tricked you! I didn't hate it, I was just extremely disappointed by it, just like a father who discovered their son is a femboy twink that likes to dress up as a maid!

But seriously tho, first and foremost, I fucking love the gameplay of Cold Steel. It was so amazing I can't believe how much fun I was having with the combat system. It's better than Persona, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragons Quest, and Kami no Rhapsody (I also really love the gameplay of this one, 2nd only to cold steel).

You can move around the battle area, strategically place your characters in certain spots so enemies either cannot hit you, can only hit one person, or you're all fucked. But spreading out too thin could fuck you over too, that means you can't heal your characters so they can only rely on items. If they're too far, you're out of items, or got stunned then might as well get the casket now. I love it, I have 0 complaints with the gameplay. But the story.... my GOD I CAN'T STAND IT.

Why does everyone liked Crow so much? You barely know the guy, everyone only knows him for half a year I think, so why are you willing to forgive a traitor of your country? He's a full blown terrorist willing to kill hundreds of people including your friend just to kill one general. FOR ONE GUY! THIS GUY IS A MENACE!

Also there's a scene where one of the bad guys died in a mech, I remember I was bumping my fist in the air but the main character, on the top of his lungs, screams "NOOOOOO!". What do you mean "NOOOOOO"? You're literally in a civil war. He's here to kill you, and you're there to kill him. Honestly I wouldn't be bothered with this scene if not for the fact that everyone, every supporting characters, acts like the MC. Also, everyone also barely knows the guy. All it takes is his boo hoo backstory to make you act like this? Go home. Just go home, you're not fit for this.

Another thing I had to talk about, they said that they're in a civil war but it doesn't feel like war is going on in the background. It's like the Winnie hut Jr. Version of war. Everything seems so calm, I can't feel like they're in a destabilized country torn between two faction. Bottom line, I can't feel any tension.

This is just my rant, I have to do it cause I was so disappointed of cold steel. If you liked the game, me too I liked the game part of it. It's extremely fun and even after 90+ hours it's still fun. But if you like the story and the characters and the setting I'm so jealous of you. I tried, I really tried continuing the game, trying to stomach it, but I just can't do it. Everything just falls apart after the start of the civil war.
Should've tried starting with Trails in the Sky trilogy then the Crossbell duology before you went for Cold Steel. Lots of references missed. Oh, and Reverie is coming this summer. Hopefully you'll be up to date. ;)

Dex-chan lover
Done with Reverie recently. Man, that was such a feels trip. :( I'm kinda sad that I won't see that cast in the next games (aside from Fie and Renne, which are confirmed in the Calvard arc so far).

Dex-chan lover

Well, you're not exactly fighting on the front lines during the Civil War, which mostly takes place in the West. It's only starting in Cold Steel 3 and 4 that you get to travel there and the East side gets locked (with the exception of Crossbell).

Dex-chan lover
For anyone who is apprehensive about going through ALL the trails games, I'd suggest looking up pafdingo's storythrough videos for the trails in the sky trilogy and the crossbell duology (from azure and zero).

Personally I had fun with Sky at first, then work caught up to me and I literally couldn't make time for gaming if I tried, I'd watch these videos during commutes or while on break or right before bed.

No commentary, he cuts out all battles(unless they are really important ones) and visits side-character scenes so you get a feel for the easter eggs.

Playing Cold Steel without the previous titles will cheat you out of little moments where you would have been giddy, instead you just kinda tiltyour head to the side and go "who cares? never heard of em". It's not important for everyone, but it's been a blast for me and I wouldn't have liked missing out on it.

Dex-chan lover
Storyline is good except for some tropes that getting stale.
Well, you're not exactly fighting on the front lines during the Civil War, which mostly takes place in the West. It's only starting in Cold Steel 3 and 4 that you get to travel there and the East side gets locked (with the exception of Crossbell).
clever way to avoid inconsistency of power level. They are students foremost so it is unlikely they could win against the veterans. It make it more believable. Even then they struggle and have to be rescued sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread