I Sold My Life for 10,000 Yen per Year. - Vol. 3 Ch. 16.5 - I Say a Little Prayer

In less than an hour, this manga has wrung me of all manner of emotions, teased out heartfelt smiles and melancholic sighs alike. It'd be somewhat unfair to compare this to most other manga, or even pieces of fiction beyond that -it was less a story and more an experience. The value of life isn't something so easily defined, even people capable of reducing the limitless possibilities of the future reassessed a life only to find that it had went from being worthless to being something far beyond what most people will ever achieve with their lives.

And despite that, despite the concrete knowledge that fame was within his reach and the knowledge that he would not only be remembered but even loved long after his death, he chose happiness.

Fed-Kun's army
I want to leave the afterword by the novel author, since it's beautiful, so here it is. Please give it a read.

They say that a fool can never be cured to his death.
But I like to take a slightly more optimistic view of this. Something
more like “A fool will be cured by the time he’s dead.”

While we call them all fools (or its synonyms), there actually exist
many different kinds of fool. The fool I speak of here is the fool who
creates his own hell.
What is characteristic of this fool, first of all, is that he is strongly
convinced he can never be happy. Made more severe, this
conviction can be expanded to become “I shouldn’t be happy,” and
ultimately arrive at “I don’t want to be happy,” a most destructive
misunderstanding.

Once that point is reached, there’s nothing left to fear. These fools
become intensely familiar with dissatisfaction, and no matter how
blessed their environment, they find some loophole to avoid
happiness.
As this is all done subconsciously, they believe this world to be hell -
when in actuality, they are just making it hell themselves with every
step they take.

I myself am one of those hell-creators, which is why I believe so, but
such fools cannot be cured quickly. To someone who has made
being unhappy part of their identity, not being unhappy is losing
oneself. The self-pity they used to endure unhappiness eventually
becomes their only enjoyment, and they actively seek out
displeasure for that purpose.

However, as I stated at the outset, I believe such fools will be cured
by the time they die. To be more exact, my thought is “Just before
death, I’m sure they’d be cured.”
The lucky ones may get an opportunity to be cured before that
actually happens, but even the unlucky, when they realize the
inevitability of their death and are freed of the chains of “having to
keep living in this world” - finally, then, are they not also freed from
their foolishness?

I called this viewpoint optimistic, but looking at it closer, it could be
considered quite pessimistic as well. The first time he comes to love
the world is when his death is made certain.
However, I consider that through the eyes of this “fool who was
cured, but too late,” everything is hopelessly beautiful.
The deeper the regrets and grievances like “To think I lived in such a
beautiful world as this,” or “Now I’d be able to accept it all and
live,” the more the world appears to be cruelly beautiful in return.

I’m always thinking about how I want to write on that kind of
beauty.
At least here in “Three Days of Happiness,” though it would seem I
used the story to speak about the value of life, the power of love
and whatnot... to be honest, that was not my intention in the least.

- Sugaru Miaki

Supporter
@Wind1 Thanks, I said. I was glad the time I read this masterpiece is match with the time you kindly share author afterwords. That thing even only a little bit has cured my current sickness.

Aggregator gang
wow. what a tragic end. unlike anohana's pure sadness and cry-inducing ending, nobody gets closure or is happy. it's just depressing. great manga, not a fan of the depressing and somewhat ambiguous end.

wait how is this the end. I saw the chapter where she became visible... or was this a flashback 🤔

Beautifully done. The character development is amazing and I was honestly crying when people were defending him. He was genuinely happy, no harming anyone so why not let him be? When he was hanging out with people and they went along, it may have been a joke to them but at the same time they were confirming her existence.

I went into this expecting to be sad but I vastly underestimated the emotions that this would put me through. I wish them three days of happiness

When I was searching up psychological I thought I’m just going to see the Same mc go’s insane but then i saw this now I’m happy this is not what I wanted but I’m okay with this

In the beginning I merely viewed MC as a pitiful douche who only thinks the worst of others; however, after he and Miyaki warmed up to each other and he got over his own insecurities, his attitude totally changed, and he fully flourished in his last fleeting moments of life.

I had expected the story to develop in the vein of "angsty teenagers agonizing over teenage angst stuff". Am I glad that it totally crushed my expectations! What a wonderful ride.

Dex-chan lover
At first I was pretty mad at the ending. First, why does it matter that they're rich? The whole point of everything that they did and how they fell in love was that money wasn't a part of it. (Also is a theme of the manga, that life is priceless)
Second, the girl just throws her life away then? because she would have still only had three days with the MC. It was only her first love. She still had her whole life ahead of her. it makes the MC's sacrifice pointless.

However

Looking at this as a tragedy, like Romeo and Juliet, it makes more sense. This is a story about some young / naive individuals. It's sad because we know that there's more to life out there. We ourselves know even when the MC sells his life for barely any money (its like 3K USD) that he's making a dumb decision. Those of us that are older and have some life experience know that these sacrifices are dumb. Just like taking poison just because you think you're first love is the bomb.
It makes you want to scream No it gets better, I swear!

I hope that perspective helps some of you. I was a bit lost for a day or two until I had that realization.
You will receive more money by sell your organs or blood

Okay wow I'm not sure if anybody is going to answer but still I'm going to ask is there someone who could explain me what happend between that guy and that himeno girl cuz I'm not sure if I understood it correctly

Group Leader
Uhh just holy shit I'm gonna be messed up tomorrow
This isn't one of those hits hard to make you cry shows it's just depressing as hell and will make you think about it for the next week. Honestly tho I've really been needing something like this and it was just a beautiful story. I don't know what else to say but just 10/10 would erase my memories to read again.
Replying to get you to reread it again after a few years just like I just have.

Group Leader
Okay wow I'm not sure if anybody is going to answer but still I'm going to ask is there someone who could explain me what happend between that guy and that himeno girl cuz I'm not sure if I understood it correctly
Which part do you not understand?

Users who are viewing this thread