I Swear I Won't Bother You Again! - Vol. 3 Ch. 15

Fed-Kun's army
Honestly, I can’t forgive the prince as easily as Violette is/did. Yes, she was a jealous person who tried to kill her sister. But, even if that was the case. As a person, and as royalty who is held at a much higher standard, how could you have a relationship with your fiancé’s sister? Especially knowing the relationship between them is like his and Yulian’s. It was a sensitive issue to her and he choose NOT to comfort her, but to stand by Maryjun’s side. I really hope Yulan ends up with Violette.

Dex-chan lover
@thegiantpossum The prince may have known Violette for years before Maryjun, but the reason that he got close to Maryjun was because of Violette's attempts at bullying her and making her life miserable. She did this while they were still in school. The prince tried to protect Maryjun as a result of Violette's actions. As a result, he got to know Maryjun and developed a relationship with her after some time.

To our knowledge, Violette only attempted to murder Maryjun once, towards the end of Violette's life.

You really don't understand. I'm saying that the INITIAL reason why he even INTERACTED with Maryjun was because of Violette's harassment. Then he got to know her. He learned her personality. He learned her character. That's what he liked. But the reason why they first interacted was because of Violette's harassment, as explained in this chapter. This happens in real life. Let's say you're a young child and your parents make you play with a neighborhood kid of your age. Then you get to know each other and become friends. Does that mean that the only reason that you like your friend is because your parents made you play together? No. That's the reason for initially interacting, but that's not why you're friends now.

Right now, look at what interactions the prince has had in this life with Maryjun. He has had hardly any interactions at all. That's why he says he's not interested in her. IF he got to know her more, there's a possibility that he might like her more. There have been no such opportunities because Violette isn't trying to harass her.

"Any argument that he likes who she really is gets wrecked". False. Again, he just has not had an opportunity to know her because Violette isn't causing those opportunities.

"close bond" was perhaps a bad choice of words. In this life, the prince has developed a greater interest in Violette because she seems intriguing. She tried to protect her sister. She fixed his cape with her own hands. She doesn't want to take credit for things. These are all reasons that he is now interested in her as opposed to the previous life, where Violette was so horrible that he only expressed disgust at her.

And yes, it does look a lot like you're trying to excuse Violette. What you said contradicts NOTHING of what I wrote. I also pointed to those exact same things in my posts. You know where you're trying to excuse Violette? You're trying to explain away her actions as the five stages of grief. You demonize the prince as this shallow character when you try to explain Violette's actions as the five stages of grief. Let me be clear. Maybe you are completely right. Maybe Violette's actions are completely because of her grief at her family situation. Guess what? You still tried to excuse her because you're putting her behavior in direct contrast to the "horrid" prince. The "shallow" prince who is somehow a misogynist because he supposedly never got to know Violette in his past life is "horrid" while you sweep under the rug Violette's behavior as due to her grief.

IF you had just said the prince was shallow because of your reasons, then I would not have said that you were trying to excuse Violette. I would have just said no, I think he's not shallow because of my reasons. Instead, you have a direct comparison to Violette and still choose to call the prince horrid and misogynistic while excusing Violette's behavior as grief-induced.

@comeonnow0

When I wrote that, you hadn't wrote that 2nd comment yet. Just the first one were all you said was that Violette tried to kill Mj for no reason and that everyone forgot that she was a horrible person.

I still disagree with parts of your 2nd comment too though.
The Prince hasn't formed any sort of Bond with Violette know either. He doesn't know anything about her, other than that she likes Tea. The point still stands that the only reason why he suddenly became interested in her when he wasn't for years previously was because she stopped trying to go after him. He hasn't made any efforts to actually understand her so far, not even basic stuff like why she has suddenly stopped trying to go after him or why she's so intent on pushing him and Maryjune together.

Granted, my view of him might be a bit skewed because I read parts of the Webnovel before, were the Prince is MUCH more unlikable (I guess they changed his character to get some form of love-triangle dynamic going between him, Vio and Yunal, god knows for what reason), but until he actually does ANYTHING to try and properly get to know Vio (which I low-key hope, not because I want them to be together, but because him learning of Vios circumstances is pretty much the only way so far that Vio's father could get any amount of karma for his shitty behaviour), he's just abusing his position as Prince to constantly try and get closer to someone who doesn't want to get closer with him. Vio can't openly reject him because of their different social standings. He KNOWS that very well, but he apparently doesn't give a shit. That his Butler keeps getting them to be together alone by manipulating the circumstances doesn't exactly help with the Prince's perception either. If he would have seen that Vio wasn't feeling well and went after her on his own, thats one thing. But his Butler specifically notifying him that Vio is alone now and in a place were she can't get away easily, just so he can go and try to have a 1-on-1 talk with her again wether she wants to or not, is just creepy.

Fuck this prince man he's got no sense of consistency
Why does he like MC now when he liked Maryjun last time?
He's obviously not loyal at all
So he may have fallen for MC's earnestness
Despite the fact that she was like this last time too, it's just that she didn't direct it towards her sister

Dex-chan lover
@Binary10011 By that logic, fuck Violette, she's got no sense of consistency. Why is she so nice to her sister now when she tried to murder her last time? She's obviously not loyal at all.

There are reasons why Violette is different now compared to the past life. Same, there are reasons the prince is different now compared to the past life.

-----

@IronVader501 Fair enough if you hadn't seen my other post.

I wrote in another post you may not have seen, but "bond" may not have been the best word. He has certainly developed an interest in Violette in this life. She has tried to protect her sister. She was able to mend his cape with her own hands. She doesn't want to take credit for things. These are some of the reasons he is now interested in her. You know what? Maybe he doesn't know her very well. That's more of a reason why he wants to know her more. She is interesting enough that he wants to know her personality more and learn who she is.

I would disagree on him not trying to understand her so far. He wanted to have a conversation with her just now. Like, what are you expecting, him to ask what her favorite color is, what kinds of books she reads, what she plans to do in the future? That's one way of getting to know her. Another is by spending time and interacting casually. He's talking about a shared experience that they had and building upon it. Hey, thanks for the tea recommendation you gave me. Here's what happened after. That's part of getting to know her, even if slowly.

I fully recognize the social standing issue and Violette not being able to reject him outright. I will also say that this story is really weird (at least this version, the manga) because of how loose they are with it. Like, you can tell that they're trying to appeal to their target demographic in Japan. I can't remember what it was exactly, but something was just so blatantly high-school Japanese oriented that it left an impression on me. Something with the cafeteria or the student council? I can't recall. Anyways, I acknowledge your point on this but would also say it's not definite given the fact that the story setting is inconsistent in some of the background cultural issues.

Dex-chan lover
It's like living a life of being an angry incel, got shunned by everyone, including your family and in your deathbed you've vowed to be a better person if you ever have the chance again and God magically turned you back again to your younger days which you used to take a chance to repent to everyone but ended up having a romcom life which, if you think about it, is a completely 180 on your previous life to the point of being a parody.

Dex-chan lover
@comeonnow3
That does not scale right at all. A lifetime of abuse and neglect is much, much worse than being spat on, and a violent emotional episode is not nearly as bad as genocide.

She tried to murder her sister because she was driven insane. She was doing terrible things, and perhaps that made her a bad person in the first timeline. But she did not do any of that "because she was a horrible person". Someone who does bad things because they're innately bad would just be a psychopath. She was akin to an abused animal that bites an unrelated third party and had to be put down. The consequences had to happen, but most people would blame the abusive owner more than the animal.

At some point, I have to question what counts as a "good excuse". It's not morally right, if that's how you define it. It's not legally or socially justifiable, because it's second-degree murder. But I and clearly many other people excuse her for it because it's something that actually happens, and her reaction is understandable from her point of view. I have no doubt that many people would end up doing something similar if they were in her circumstances. Bottom line, even if it doesn't do so for you, it "excuses her actions" for many people.

You're free to make your own judgements on these characters who've had very different actions in the different timelines. But if you're going to argue that Violette wasn't explicitly driven to the point she hit by the prince and her parents in the first timeline, expect people to argue.

Dex-chan lover
@Psychronia So you literally are trying to excuse her attempted murder of her sister, of the queen of the country, by saying she had a bad family past? Because that's what you're doing now.

You are trying to convince me to forgive her for her crimes and her actions even though SHE herself says that she was horrible. Yeah, no. I'm not going to agree to the insanity defense here. It doesn't meet most legal definitions of insanity (without more evidence).

You have no doubt that many people would end up doing something similar if they were in her circumstances? Wow. I just highly doubt that. I would say that most people would not attempt to murder when put in similar circumstances.

And again, you're missing the difference between understanding and excusing, between understanding and condoning. I understand why she did what she did. Because of her family past. That doesn't mean that it is in any way, shape, or form acceptable. SHE even agrees with that.

And then what the hell? Why did you purposely put the wrong number for my username? Are you trying to not send a notification?

Dex-chan lover
@comeonnow0 Or it was just a typo. The @ system here isn't automatic compared to other places. Maybe don't go presuming other's intentions and calling it purposely with zero basis.

Understanding is comprehending why. Excusing is to lessen the attached blame by accepting the given excuse. Condoning is allowing it to happen with tentative approval and permission to continue. I understand perfectly well. I don't condone what she's done and have never said that I do. I also completely understand why she did it and how it came to this point.

If I'm trying to excuse her attempted murder, then you're trying to excuse her family abusing her. I'm going to go ahead and assume you're not trying to do that because it's something only apathetic monsters would do and you're very insistent on morality in your argument.
I think you're the one not understanding something. You either don't understand what she went through, or don't understand what that does to a person. She wasn't just picked on or ignored. She was abused and neglected for basically the entirety of her life. There are ZERO people who walk away from an abusive childhood without scars or at least a minor form of PTSD. She fixated on the prince as a way of escape and hope-which to be clear wasn't the healthy thing to do-and it backfired along with everything else when her sister came into the picture.

This is not something that only happened for the past few months in her life. This is something that happened for ALL her life, and her sister was the straw that broke the camel's back. She dealt with it and coped up until someone who got everything she wanted as forcibly inserted into her life with no way for her to distance herself from it.
Violette was emotionally and psychologically tortured for almost her entire life, and while she's correct in thinking it was the wrong thing to do at present, it's accompanied by a broken spirit and pretty strong depression.

To state my stance so we're clear:
- She was wrong for attempting to murder her sister because she was innocent. The fact that she was queen is irrelevant because royalty has no bearing on morality.
- They were right to punish her because it was attempted murder and she was still unstable.
- Her outburst was primarily her parent's fault. If I were to allocate responsibility, it would be 70-ish% her parents with roughly half of what's left being hers and the remainder being the prince and her sister's. It was her actions, but her family caused it and the couple triggered it.
- The prince is being obnoxious and overly intrusive with his actions here in the present. On one hand, I would say it's fair karma for her doing more or less the same in the first timeline. On the other, now he's the one causing problems, so he needs to fuck off.
- Feel free to disagree if you want, but don't @ me to keep arguing because I'm sick of this conversation.

I just wanna timeskip to her trying to become a nun already lmao...

Vio is too soft. I think a set-up where she gets back at her father for being such a hoebag would be more appealing than watching her go through this dense and slow misunderstandings on top of misunderstandings plotline. Maybe that's just because I've read Ebony and Aideen in the time it took for these last couple of chapters to come out.

Dex-chan lover
@Psychronia It's a rather strange typo considering that on most keyboards, the 3 is not near the 0 at all.

And it's ironic that you say to not go presuming other's intentions when that's what this topic with the prince and Violette is about.

You're painting all of her actions as not the result of her own decisions. You are removing as much agency from Violette as possible when it comes to her crimes, her attempted murder. Many people would do the same in her situation? That is an attempt to lessen her responsibility and her participation in her crimes as much as possible.

Yeah, what you said makes TOTAL sense. I'm OBVIOUSLY trying to excuse her family for abusing her. It's impossible for me to say both she and her family are bad. It is possible to criticize both her and her family. That is what I am doing. It is NOT possible to say that her actions are excusable while still saying that her attempted murder was not okay. That is what you are doing.

Okay, let's take a step back. I'll show you how messed up what you are saying is. In the real world, there are people who, quite obviously, are abused as children. That's an undisputed fact. You quite literally said many people who are in her situation would do the same things as her. So that means that we should treat every abused child as a potential criminal, as a potential murderer. We should fear the abused children for what they could do because, as you said, MANY would do the same thing as her. That is literally what you justify.

And I'm saying again. You. Are. Wrong. You don't know developmental psychology. You don't know statistics on crime rates. The VAST majority of people who are not abused do not, themselves, become murderers and abusers. Yes, there are obviously some who do, and it is the direct result of the abuse that they experienced. However, you are literally trying to ignore all of the people who suffer abuse and do not become murderers because you want to try to forgive Violette. You don't want to acknowledge that they exist. You are trying to suggest that it's natural for someone who was abused to become a murderer.

You are wrong. Your view is fundamentally messed up.

You know, I remember the novel being more...melancholic and mean-spirited, I guess? The narration gave it this feeling, at least. Violette still deeply hates her family, including Maryjun, and simply wishes to get away from it all. The scene depicted in this chapter, for example, made her feel frustrated and desperate to get things back on track so these goddamn people can leave her the fuck alone. Going to the monastery is the release from the daily interactions that grind her gears and suffocate her. This wacky lighthearted atmosphere doesn't suit the narrative at all. They turned the mc into a wishy-washy parody of herself just to appeal to a wider demographic.
It reminds me of the 90s film adaptation of The Count of Monte Christo in how grossly it misrepresents the original work and especially the main character.

Dex-chan lover
@comeonnow0 And blocked. I told you I don't want to hear it anymore, and you come back with a bunch of accusatory arguments that twist my stance. I could keep arguing, but I don't want to waste any more energy on you. Enjoy thinking you're right because you said so.

Buzz off.

Dex-chan lover
@Psychronia I'll still tag as a courtesy, but this is to anyone else who wants to listen.

What I did is take the logical conclusion of Psychronia's arguments. I did not twist anything. That is what Psychronia's position literally justifies.

All that's happening now is Psychronia is trying to avoid the consequences of that by running away.

Users who are viewing this thread