Uchi no Musuko wa Tabun Gay

I think its cute. It doesn't need to solve all the representational problems in the world, and it makes me feel fluffy inside.

Bro this is so cute omg :’((( It’s absolutely adorable :’((( I love this sm :’((

such a fluffy manga too bad people are more concerned about the semantics... anyways I agree with @JohanneFaust , the fact that it doesn't address everything and in fact treats everything as a daily occurrence/ in a lighthearted manner is working in it's favour. Definitely not terrible more on the okay spectrum. Also +1 in the fact that as a slice of life so far it doesn't include giving fan service,,, time will tell.

Fed-Kun's army
the mum is sweet and understanding, the brother is kind in his own way, I dont know why I feel like this would be a realistic family

Dex-chan lover
@trapsarebetter
Sorry to drag you in again, but how are characters that are "generally awesome at life" positive representation?
Real people aren't awesome at life. A down-to-earth, flawed and relatable character is far more positive *as* representation, because it represents the experience of someone one can imagine to be real, and connect to. While hypercompetent characters have their place in writing, they are exceptional; that is, they are marked by their difference from regular folk. That's not really appropriate if you're trying to be representative, unless your representation is tokenistic and shallow, or you're venerating the chosen minority characteristic like a superpower (a la Marvel Comics).

Power Uploader
@gronkle
Because I argued against the claim that the repræsentation were "positive", there was no claim that it were realistic.

Regardless, I find none of it realistic as well, which is hardly important in a comedy series; realism and comedy rarely go hand in hand; obviously the entire setup of a bumbler that keeps slipping up and then gets extremely defensive is not realistic at all.

Dex-chan lover
@trapsarebetter
Not realistic, but relatable. It *represents* a real experience. And as such, it is positive because it fosters empathy. The per-chapter bumbling is the vehicle to do that, and does so because it engenders warm feelings towards the character. Or it would, if you forgave it for having that conceit.

Group Leader
To whomever can see this, I'm the one scanlating this series right now. I've seen the volume 1 table of contents, and the numbering is about to get really messed up haha. So far, the numbering between the author's twitter compilation and the volume were the same. However, we are entering a section in which the actual content of the chapters in the book are different from the ones on twitter, but both of them have the same numbers. I'm gonna differentiate between these two by sticking to the volume chapter numbers, and using the twitter numbering when the chapter isn't in the volume. What this means is, if numbers skip or have weird half numbers, chapters aren't missing!! It just means it's not in Volume 1.

If later on, volume 2 gets released, I'll go back and update the numbering according to their official order.

actually it's very realistic to think your family is gonna hate you for something you're constantly being told is bad in this bigot controlled world.
I was freaking terrified to come out to my mom as trans even though I knew she would be accepting bc all that hatred convinces you that rejection is the "normal" response

Coming from someone who’s 1) a lesbian, 2) from a conservative asian family and 3) came out in high school to my mother, the whole experience mirrors on own. I was lucky enough that my mother was understandable and had a sister that caught on before I had to verbally say it, but dad was oblivious as always. I don’t think manga about lgbt always need to be heavy or dramatic! As for the MC always being so on edge, being accidentally outed when you’re not ready to is terrifying. I think the pretext that both the mom and brother being aware but giving their son/brother time to collect himself and find out when he’s ready is really cool. A manga like this where your offsprings being lgbt is easily accepted by the family is something nice to see and might nurture an understanding mindset to possible parents who may pick the manga up out of curiosity (the simple art style also makes me think of why) (╹◡╹)

Fed-Kun's army
I wish we had a feature to block manga from appearing on front page, the art style on the kid makes want to puke and it gets worse everytime i see the cover on front page.

Users who are viewing this thread