I'm in Love with the Villainess - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - To be a Lily

I remember reading this part in the novel
which reminds me how hard it was in the beginning to see Lene here again...

@Lemongrassv In all honesty they did a poor job depicting the conversation in the chapter. In the web novel it is a really powerful chapter. Rei has I'm not sure would call a nihilistic view on things and her chances of being accepted and having her love returned/finding love. Along with something on her antics being a act in a way because of her view. It been a while since I read it but it was far more impactful than in this chapter.

@Lemongrassv I agree with you and when I first read the novel I thought how could they not mention about her previous actions (Lene also added "I concur" as a joke.) I think the difference here is that before she confirmed she was gay everyone around them just laughed it off and marked it up as their comedy duo act. Even Claire (although reluctantly) went along with it. It was only after she confirmed she was gay did Claire actually start trying to get away from her as if she would actually assault her. If she just said she was straight I don't think Claire would have changed her behavior in that moment. Still, I don't really know how I feel about Rei's constant treatment of Claire even if it's her way of "distancing" herself.

Dex-chan lover
@Lemongrassv
The manga has her over-do it compare to the novels.

Kind of like how Mushoku Tensei manga has more fan service shown then there actually is.

@GoggledAnon
I do agree that it feels off.

I had no idea i'd relate to a manga so fucking much when i woke up today but here we are. Cant wait for more (*^-^*)

Wow! Honestly so surprised to get such a great bit of frank discussion from a manga like this! Even in very pro-lgbtq manga it's rare to see anything about the distinction between sex and gender! Major props to the author.

And thanks for the translation!

Dex-chan lover
I can feel that fake smile because I make it so often...I relate way too hard to this protag, and just wanting to be loved.

Thank you so much for the TL. This chapter is pretty sad if you think about it, the MC never even gave herself a chance.

you need some sleep, translator xD anyway, thank you for the chapter:)

Aggregator gang
Wow, pretty rare to see straight (heh) talk on characters' orientations and preferences (the only other thing to immediately come to mind is THAT chapter in School Zone). Seems pretty obvious that Rei's gotten burnt before by coming out to someone and then things going badly. So she lies to everyone and herself that she's happy with current status quo, but almost admits she isn't, before "just kidding!"

Edit - oh right how old is she back home? She's an OL so in her twenties at the very least?

Mmmm, I interpreted the sexual harassment part as: she doesn't do it because she is homo, she does it because she is Rei

@boag Does it?

It's been awhile since I read through this, but so far the MC has only been attracted to this one person, right? This seems closer to demisexuality than homosexuality. I'm certainly not the authority, but it doesn't feel like they're using the label appropriately.

I may very well be wrong definitionally, but even so I can think of numerous shows and films that do a far better job of making homosexual people relatable. It's played for laughs in this story, but Rei's behavior is not relatable at all. What do we call people who constantly subject others to unwanted physical contact? I hope you don't think it's "relatable."

EDIT - And if we separate Rei's inappropriate behavior from her sexuality (which is fine), then there's nothing left to her character, she is entirely one-dimensional.

Users who are viewing this thread