I'm not a villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 11

Dex-chan lover
@thelilyofheaven whats your point? I am an Asian myself and I'm pretty sure white skin has always been an epitome of beauty, at least in most of the Asian culture I've heard of.

There is no politics involved, we simply see lighter skin = beautiful. Why must you SJW make everything political and uncomfortable for everyone.

@Nepenthe Even back in the older day fairytales you can easily see "skin white as snow" used to describe beautiful female leads, that's literally where the name Snow White came from, I don't get the point of making this political.

Dex-chan lover
Well now. She's obviously a big moron, but I'm more curious about the guy who egged her on. He's clearly set her up to make an ass of herself while insulting some very important people.

I wonder if people will think of the Dark Spirit King user differently now that the Light Spirit King's power is also going to be used on a devastating rampage?

Dex-chan lover
Amelia is a prime example of a fake fan; someone who "likes" something mainstream, but can't wrap their head around change. Can't wait for her to be taken down a notch, even if she's just being manipulated like a dumb puppet.

Dex-chan lover
Why do they hide the dudes face
Its not like we know him
Also i thought the light spirit king was the dude we saw earlier? why is it a woman now

She going full treason...
Not sure she thought this plan out properly...

Dex-chan lover
@thelilyofheaven while i get your point, it's not colorism, the center of the world isn't the crap that's happening in the states let's be realistic, not everyone wants to politicize everything, this is especially true for asian authors.

FICTION IS FICTION, it doesn't always have to relate to reality or the many issues of the real world, Kindly leave that at the door when reading manga.

They're not saying people with darker skin is bad, they only treated her badly BECAUSE OF THE LEGEND where the dark spirit king. the focus was them misinterpreting the legend, see if her skin was dark and she didn't have the blessing of the dark spirit king and there were a lot of dark skinned people in the place they wouldn't treat her differently.

The bad treatment comes from an exaggeration and misunderstanding of the legend passed on in the kingdom in fear of the POWER SHE WIELDS. if their issue was the color of her skin they would've said so from the start. But no, you see in the manga that they slowly open up and see the good in her and realize that the legend was misunderstood and that they shouldn't treat her like a criminal because of the dark spirit king at her side

Dex-chan lover
@Kampfarsch Which dude? I think the other spirit shown was Claudia's father's which is the wind spirit king or something...I don't fucking remember, been a long time since this updated and even longer time since I read the novel. But I'm sure she was always female.

Dex-chan lover
@Kampfarsch well they called the wind spirit king a king despite being a woman, king in this sense is a title at most, i mean they haven't revealed her until this chapter, and only called her the light spirit king... inb4 the light spirit king and dark spirit king are actually lovers hahaha

Dex-chan lover
@Kampfarsch

I think the implication with the hidden face is that it IS someone we know. One of the guys who have been introduced by name, at the very least.

I wonder just did Light Spirit do anything until now. Heroin may stupid but why she didn't do anything to protect her from being a player of farce with that shady guy and just sit still and watch her host's bright soul that she love so much become more and more taint. Even Dark Spirit comeout and protect MC time to time.

Hehehe...I know what's going to happen next. I'm also looking forward to it. 😊🤩

Dear lord, I checked the raws.

I really believe the author didn't have the intention to look racist. But the protagonist turning white, just doesn't sit right with me. I don't know japanese, so I have no idea the context of the scene, I thought she would have vitiligo or just "not be as black" (which I don't think it's okay in anyway, but I can kinda "get over it"), but turning her white with black hair is just.... Yeaks. At least MC doesn't seems to accept her parents after this, since she is white, which I appreciate.

Dex-chan lover
@July_Daydreamer Yeah I don't doubt for a moment they didn't intend for it to come off as racist. Honestly, I think a lot situations where a creator is accused of being blatantly racist didn't really intend for any racist connotations to appear in the work, and how (easy or not) things got interpreted, once you see it you just can't unsee it. Regardless, it's just weird though.

I just don't get why they'd change her skin tone in the first place. She's goddamn cute with darker skin. Many people find that part of her charming. Hell, her skin isn't even that dark in the first place. Sure according to anime standards it's darker, but it almost just has that tanned Japanese skin sort of air to it, rather than actually being dark skin.

The author sold her to me as a darker skinned character and I liked her that way. I mean she's the central heroine, and you're going to attract people to the aesthetic she gives off. Even one of the soldiers in these chapters noted how she has a kind of exotic look going for her. Making her white just makes her...generic? It's a weird choice for sure and I imagine it divided fans of her character quite a bit in Japan. It also really downplays her connection to the dark spirit king.

Dex-chan lover
@July_Daydreamer :
To be fair, it'd be weirder for her to not change at all given that her skin and hair color are due to Gerald's blessing being so strong and not that she was genetically born that way.
And since the 'normal' appearance of people are the white skin in this country, the light spirit balancing things out giving Claudia her 'natural' look while leaving her black her as symbol for Gerald would make some sense.

@Gudachiz : Just a quirk of translation.

Since the title for king 王 itself is technically gender neutral, but when people talk about queen 女王 /empress 女帝 they usually specifically add the female kanji, the common use for 王 is referring to male ones.
I think the more gender neutral usage of spirit/demon 'king' is spirit/demon lord.

Fed-Kun's army
I hope the manga doesn't end like the web novel (because it was quite honestly, really racist, but expected because japan.)

Just remember guys, if this ends like the novel, her reward for all of this is to turn white. Yes. That is literally her reward in the series, which basically throws out what everyone that was the message of the story. And I'm not kidding when I say she gets her skin bleached.

Users who are viewing this thread