I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain - Vol. 2 Ch. 12

Dex-chan lover
I can definitely see how this could be a critique by the author on how racism in a society is just miserable.

But, starting from chapter 1 until now, they made it clear that dark skin, dark eyes, AND dark hair were all visual indicators other characters judged her by.

Seeing everyone's deep-seeded opinions of her change SOLELY because of her skin color change is....yikes.

So at face value hooo boy does the whitewash look bad.

Lmao at all the butthurt at a culture that is not yours. Go back to posting plebbit FBI comments that you think are original.

agh, i know the skin color change is for plot reasons but i really wish they kept it... it looked better, we rarely see any even remotely dark skin in asian media, and it's just weird to see a person's SKIN of all things completely change and so suddenly. also lol at the dark spirit king's protectiveness. also fuck her parents, what rancid cunts.

I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill here. She's not being treated better because she suddenly got the more socially acceptable skin color, people were already changing their opinion on her before she was "blessed" by the Light Spirit.

I doubt the author intentionally wanted to look racist/colorist or believed her skin color change would make her more popular of a Character because she was already a popular Character with her "normal" skin color.

I believe he just wanted to use it as part of a plot point. Given that she still has black hair she's likely now symbolizing having both Light/Dark powers.

Whitewashing would've been turning her blonde too. I think this is just a ying-yang symbolism that was understandably missinterpreted.

Hey by the way. The color of their skin is very different in that world than this. Many people are complaining in the comments and I don't like it much. The only reason she WAS hated or someone had prejudice against her was because her very distinct markings (that are apparently ONLY given to people blessed by the dark power king), not just because she was "black" but because the previous vessels caused great destruction. It's still prejudice. But it's not "racist." I still have a few problems, I'm not sure whether Claudia is dark or light skinned and whether or not she should ask the kings to switch lol, and Amelia's eyes were blue I'm pretty sure in one of the colored panels; I would've liked it to be gray/silver/white anything related to her Light power king like Claudia's were and maybe make her skin far lighter than the average person so it's a big sign that they have the light power king and they would be polar opposite to Claudia because of the light and dark parralells, I didn't like the "chocolate milk" stuff at the end of some chapters but I'm assuming that's the editor/translator so I'm not blaming the author; I just think it's bringing in more racial stuff than needed when in reality Claudia and Amelia are not "black" and "white" this is a magical world where the only apparent 'human' race so far are either caucasians or asians whereas the two main characters have different skin to show how powerful they are unlike the normal elementals, all in all we can take metaphors and lessons from this manga and apply it to the real world, but I don't think this manga was ever intended that way. I don't think this manga has anything to do with race whatsoever

I forgot what I was about to say but I really laughed out loud at this chapter for several things

Whitewashing certainly was a thing here, but I think what really stuck out to me was the change in attitude towards the mc. This kind of change in attitude just resonates with so many experiences I’ve had with facetious people in my life, I almost cried seeing it

Do they think that everything can be glossed over because they're sorry now?

Bitch. In your dreams.

Honestly Claudia's rage is completely justified. They're trying to sweep it all under the rug and that's not okay.

jesus christ that comment spike. from like 100 to 690 damn.
i have legit never seen this many comments on one chapter

i knew something big was gonna happen but WOW
SPEECHLESS

I'm really glad she didn't accept their apologies. I'm kinda hoping she'll get her dark skin back later and still retain both light and darkness powers.

Dex-chan lover
So I knew the whitewashing was coming but man, I’m still disappointed. I miss dark-skinned MC since it’s not often we don’t have a pale MC

Umm...did they have to change her skin color? I get that this is fiction and magic and everything, but with our current social climate, this is in poor taste. I want to meet the author and tell them to read the room. They should have changed her eye color.

Hmmm, if she hadn't been blatantly mocked for her dark skin, then it might not have as big a deal, but since the story has deemed her dark skin to equal "bad", turning it to white skin and being met with approval is just not okay.

@Melodiclove I mean I don’t know if the group translating this uploaded a second version of this chapter where Claudia still has dark skin or if it was actually the author that did that

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Users who are viewing this thread