I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain

Fed-Kun's army
Let me see now judging from the comments, so, basically the reason for all of this is because it isn’t racism, it’s because you guys just liked her better when her skin was darker? That’s it, that’s the only reason, the readers only liked the MC because of her skin color.

What the f is going on in this comment section? , cant you just enjoy the story? , you enjoy this manga for free bro, you did not need pay any cent to read this manga!
and yet you complaining on other people atwork , what the f is that? atleast you appreciate the manga!
You dont have any art stuff on your self, all you have is EGO.
you dont have any valuable achievement.
all you have is complain and complain.
complain this, complain that. lol haha

I didn’t realise this was an adaptation but now I have which kinda makes this worse ngl.
It’s just this story has ‘racial themes but unfortunately not racial themes bc everybody is fucking white’ and goes nowhere in the exploration of such things, not to mention the act of ‘whitewashing’ a character and now suddenly people are liking her more when they were originally ostracising her because of it is ridiculous.
People gotta understand that racism against dark skinned Asians and just Black people in general is still massively prevalent in Asian society and having witnessed it first hand and seeing the praise people get for having pale skin disgusts me, I’m kinda glad that the people reading the manga adaptation and had no idea about the novel gave it backlash but it still doesn’t change the unfortunate aspects of this tale.

For all of those people who are crying about ‘snowflakes’ being offended it’s still a boring manga anyway if you ignore the issues, typical villainess premise isekai, nothing that interesting or developed fully, the protagonist seemingly has no trauma from being stabbed to death by her father? Yeah just not interesting.

Can anyone get the better cover? I've seen it online,
they decided not to bleach the heroine
Please? Or get the old cover back

I came to the comment section to see if the manga is good but now I don't know what to think anymore

@TheDollCollector
That cover with the choco/ brown colored skin of the Heroine was done by one of the Translator Groups... The light colored skin tone is the Legit Cover of the Manga...

I don't know who wrote that "I prefer chocolate milk over white milk" or something but that was insulting! As a white woman I do like chocolate milk more because of the taste not because of the color!

If you only care about color you are a racist! No matter which color you prefer😠

@Threee
I don't think you get it
considering the Heroine was born with a tanned skin colour and then gets "purified" by going lighter skin colour which is actually similar to how they advertise skin bleaching creams in many asian countries, they are dangerous and sometimes cancer causing. It's what this event represents relative to real world equivalents that's bothersome. (alternatively- getting a tan in a tanning bed which can also be dangerous)
And don't accuse people of reverse racism, you can't not see colour considering it's a part of people's identity, just like it was for the MC.

@TheDollCollector The mangaka should have just went with black eyes and black hair like in other mangas, everyone goes mad when skin color is involved. I don't think this has anything to do with skin care.

@Threee
As a "White Woman" you have probably not experienced much or have identified such paralels in media.
In european media this is usually done by giving an otherwise coloured race white hair (example: Atlantians in Atlantis) to make then more civilised in the eyes of the caucasian audience. Pleople of colour are sensitive to such white washing and pushing of Europeanised standards onto other races. It hurts to see things like this in media. My childhood experienced is that curly/coily/wavy hair is basically demonised and has been used as a before in makeover tropes (Example Princess Diaries, pretty strong demonification of curly hair)
The author should have not changed the skin colour period, or anything for that matter, this should have remained a story about her survival and overcomming missunderstanding through her own personality and virtues
The fact that she changed anything in her physical appearance that she did not choose is problematic AF.
I would be mad salty at hair going lighter too.

@TheDollCollector
People like blond hair, blue eyes and white skin, good luck trying to change that.😂
BTW my mother has red hair and some people still feel like it's evil or something.
Everyone has their own problem.

Fed-Kun's army
@DragonPanties
I'm not saying hey lets force a fuck ton of diversity into mainstream anime/manga, write a good story dont force shit, but fuck dude its the same shit every season. buck some trends guys damn!
I hear manga outsells American comics in America. Any idea why?

@Heather2
I came to the comment section to see if the manga is good but now I don't know what to think anymore
Manga is good, some people commenting here are not. What I gather from the complaints, manga presents racism too realistically to their taste.

@TheDollCollector
Pleople of colour are sensitive to such white washing and pushing of Europeanised standards onto other races.
The author should have not changed the skin colour period, or anything for that matter
Are you European or do you have European ancestry? Are you pushing Europeanised standards onto Japanese comic?

@Kuokkanen
I might be as pale as a toad stool but I am in no way caucasian (Though I can't explain specifically what I am).
No, I am not pushing Europanised standards on anyone- I find them highly uncomfortable myself in real life.
I'm saying that
to have a character experience their physical appearance change against her choice is just as problematic, the light spirit should have asked her or something.

Edit: Modern Japan has already been highly influenced by Europeanised standards. Many plastic surgery clinics and beauty treatments are moving the look of the population away from their Natural looks to extremes that make them look borderline european. Japan also takes part in skin bleaching, maybe safer than many other asian coutries but certainly not great.
On another note, I woud also like to bring up their 2 bi-racial Miss Universe contestants (Hafu) from 2015 (Half-african decent) and 2016 (half-indian) both of whom were highly criticised for not falling into the standard. The Hafu population of Japan could have been getting some type of representation through a character like this. Racism exists everywhere, Europe is the easiest example to use.

@Kuokkanen
Ohh ok I see, I've always came to the comment sections to see if people liked the manga, but for this one it seemed that they didn't like it.
thank you for letting me know
I will probably read this one

Users who are viewing this thread