I'm Not a Villainess!! Just Because I Can Control Darkness, Doesn't Mean I'm a Villain

Jesus her changing her skin color was plot relevant, and in no way related to racism as you westerners claim. You lot are truly insane and beyond saving.

I don’t think it got dropped, because the gap between each chapter is like one to two months.

Light skin = good and dark skin = bad is not a uniquely Western idea. Lots of Asian people are naturally tan and live in a culture that values lighter skin tones. I would say it's more colorism than racism, though. I visit my parents' countries quite often and get compliments on my light skin tone. It's a rather bizarre thing to get a compliment on and it's rather sad that it's still something that matters.

I don't think the writer was being malicious when they wrote this into the story, but it's definitely an uncomfortable topic for people who are perceived as less beautiful for having darker skin. I think this is just a topic the writer never thought about it. I don't think it's wrong to criticize the manga for this, though. Lots of writers write stuff into their stories that they didn't mean to.

It's a monthly manga, by the way. The next chapter is coming out January 2021.

What's wrong with tan skin? but why you didn't complain about MC in re monster having super black skin? i guess girls are so supper sensitive.

Honestly as a fairly dark hispanic person, I don't see this as racist at all. It's about a girl who is discriminated against because of her skin color and tries extremely hard to try to reduce the prejudice she faces.
It's only when she becomes lighter that people start to accept her with open arms, but that doesn't change anything about her and it doesn't take away the pain she felt before. Her becoming lighter skinned doesn't make her feel better nor does it make her a better person

Personally, it made me happy to see a dark skinned main character and I really like the way the author handled it. Showing and talking about the prejudice poc face doesn't mean you support it, and throughout the manga the author makes it clear that the prejudice is not okay.

If you're poc please read it, it's so good and NOT racist.

Dex-chan lover
@NotYourFuta It is colorism and it's integral to the plot, but if everything in her life is automatically better now it's validating the discrimination she's gone through. A good solution would have been that after everything that happened she chooses to have her skin tone return to its original color. Make it a story of empowerment, that she embraces it.

Ok so probably an unpopular opinion here but...

Maybe the reason the author gave her dark skin
(and then changed it)
was that they just tried to give her as many things linking her to the color black because..... y'know, dark spirit king of stuff?

Either that or its actually meant to be a commentary on racism I dunno.

I didn't like the change either...not because it was racist(it wasn't) but because it was at odds with the original premise.... I was assuming it was going to be addressed and resolved along with her emotional and mental conflict over it....

But as usual there are so many idiots who have to actively meddle to make themselves feel better

Fed-Kun's army
Dont stop reading because of chapter 12. While its terrible, chapter 12.1 fixed it.

This is a solid otome reincarnation manga. It's not a masterpiece and it feels a bit too simplified compared to other ones with very little character development (it focuses solely on the MC), but it's also only been 12 chapters so maybe they'll start development later. But overall, it's an interesting read, 8/10

I thought this was a really nice story about overcoming prejudice and being the best girl you can be. When it happened, it was a bit of a shock. I mean, her change kind of ruined all the themes of the whole story . I think based on her reaction with her parents though she was going to resolve it by changing back, as another way of staying true to herself. We probably would just have to wait a few chapters to see it happen.
Since it was republished and it was taken back though, I guess that wasn't the authors plan? If turning her back to having dark skin wasn't planned, uhhh, what? Do we understand the story better than the author? I mean the whole thing was about getting past prejudice by just being you. I don't know. I wish I could see the ending though.

It was good so far, untill
the demi-racism, i know it is cultural of those asian people that have influence from european countries and their white colour, but the autor literally put a granade in his mout, there is a limit to how clueless someone can be about those things, and i didn't felt that much offended, but it is racism in a sense(the fmc isn't even black toned, it is because of the dark spirit mimimi) ok pal, but the character wasn't in need for change since it was her special trait, even after that people acted in a way very ankward, the autor messed up the whole thing and needed to make a new chap to not receive hate for his work that now have a low rating than before.
but things cannot be changed, i hope improvements in the manga and the new chap don't have her usual tone, sad.

Users who are viewing this thread