Improvements to data saver option, servers and recruitment for a dev to work on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@e97 They used it before and were kicked off. Still, the servers must dispense the data so that's no help.

Dex-chan lover
@eanugrah They used to have Cloudflare, but due to some asshole uploading official rip chapter of Naruto's son manga, it was removed.

@eanugrah
e97 wrote: What about Cloudflare CDN free-tier?
Samhill wrote: They used it before and were kicked off. Still, the servers must dispense the data so that's no help.
Earlier in this thread:
Holo wrote: A proper CDN company isn't going to accept payment in Bitcoins anytime soon, lol. This is also the reason why we aren't on Cloudflare, because we would have to pay - we use too much data for the free tier (which has a unspoken limit of 1 PB /month, and we probably pump over 2 PBs a month these days)
So...
Why not use Cloudflare as a CDN?
Ethics and legality.

Double-page supporter
@eanugrah
Wow, nobody even thought of that before. You just solved everything! MangaDex is saved! Huzzah!
W3U2rt7.jpg

Group Leader
@Holo I've love to help with such a program. Just upgraded to gigabit fiber and I have plenty of spare space on my NAS to donate bandwidth and storage for MangaDex.

Miku best girl
Admin
@KazuyaKan

https://mangadex.org/md_at_home

An announcement will be made closer to launch, but the page is now ready for sign ups!

MD@Home
I've only got a 1000/50 connection unfortunately so it looks like I don't meet the minimum 80/80 :( Thanks to all that do sign up though :)

@Holo

Would be neat if you could give the people who want to host a M@H server a perk where they can read all the chapters that just point to another website or have a certain date to "unlock".
Having chapters pup up in my follows list that just link to another webside gets annoying at some point.

MD@Home
Just tested my VPS on Vegas datacenter , up 500 Mbit/s down 5 Mbit/s .. 🤣quite hard to get 80mb up on cheap VPS though..

Group Leader
I have a 900+/800+ Fios connection. I have terabytes of space available on server grade hardware that is on 24/7. I could easily setup a dedicated VM on said hardware just to run MangaDex@Home. But the dedicated IPv4 address would disqualify me, although I do have a dynamic dns service running. Any chance DynDNS could also be used?

Miku best girl
Admin
@KazuyaKan

I think the dedicated IPv4 is just for the initial batch - once it's all good I think the client will support dynamic IPs.

Group Leader
@Ryzou

That specific number makes me wary. Check that you didn't get
Code:
speedtest-cli
from apt. Some Ubuntu versions have an old and buggy version of speedtest that limits the upload speed it records to around 4Mbps.

If you did,
Code:
apt purge speedtest-cli
and then
Code:
pip install speedtest-cli
and try running it again.

MD@Home
@Daktyl

Aahh, no wonder up always less than 5 Mbit/s

Will try on that

Update: now 500 Mbit/s down 1400 Mbit/s up 😱