Improvements to data saver option, servers and recruitment for a dev to work on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@codetaku
Reader settings > Tap "Display advanced settings" at the top to enable extra options(green tick) > Scroll down to "Other settings" > Data saver

Double-page supporter
@phoenix_eD

No, like, none of you seemed to understand, that menu *didn't exist* before. I looked at every menu that was viewable from anywhere on this site. It wasn't there. You can't just tell me to click a button that doesn't exist.

Anyway, I actually just swapped default reader to legacy reader and then back to default reader, and suddenly, the reader settings properly appeared. Something weird was bugged, no idea why but my default reader was getting limited to the legacy reader options. Now everything's back to normal and I'm able to use the data saver option on the default reader. Finally!

Dex-chan lover
@eng1 converting a webp to png in javascript? that might make browsing mangadex battery heavy for ios users.

@codetaku that sounds like the default reader on your device was cached and it really didn't want to update :( CTRL+F5 is sometimes worth a shot in the future if you find yourself not seeing things that should be there

Dex-chan lover
@codetaku

> You can't just tell me to click a button that doesn't exist.

Nah, that's just you not knowing how the reader works. The reader settings are inside the reader. Open a chapter, open the side panel ('T' if it's closed) and just under the block that shows the scan group and allows switching between different groups' versions of a chapter : there's your settings button !

To be fair, many people don't realize mangadex has three different settings places (even four if we include the legacy reader settings as well)

Dex-chan lover
For @codetaku and anyone who can't find the option. Sorry for being unclear about the reader setting. Indeed many can mistaken between the reader settings and profile setting thingie >"<.
IQDm8pL.png

oRqnu1S.png

qUp7NVt.png

This is an upgrade to the servers that hold all the images right? I've noticed that recently uploaded chapters load quickly while old chapters take a minute per page.

May I suggest to take a look at: https://ipfs.io/

I would be much more glad to help if I had not to use java stuff

How do you turn the data saver on? I can't seem to find it. If someone can make a step by step I would appreciate it.

Edit: ignore me I saw the previous post

I turned on data saver, and appreciated that it made the impossible possible! Until, after a couple of chapters the re-loads previous page image when I advance a page issue cropped up, and never left. I read on a 5-6 year old iPad I bought new at its launch for the express purpose of laying around reading manga, and it has always been over 95% of this (now aged) ipad's job. Is there any interest in or leads on fixing that weird load issue? Thanks.

P.S "old chapters are possibly more important than new ones to me! Thanks for not giving up on them!

Dex-chan lover
I remember making the H @ H suggestion to Grumpy. He didn't like the fact it was made with Java for some reason.

@Jhyrachy
IPFS removes duplications across the network.

Well, that's something we don't want.

Any word on when the NA server will get updated/replaced? I've been noticing bizarre slowdowns in the middle of the night when I'm stuck with insomnia and need a comic fix. It has taken 10 minutes to load a single image! 😂😂😂🤣🤦🏽‍♂️

Anyone got an idea what the slowdown is from? Asian & EU servers hitting the NA server? 🤔

you know what?
This data saver literally speed up everything.
Is there a compression? If you observe it carefully, sure you can see it, especially diagonal lines, but hey...
We are talking about trading between my 7 Mbps connection in SEA with a slightly less quality.

Prior to this data saver, sometimes I need to use VPN to German then preload everything before I can enjoy reading it.
Now I can somehow just use regular connection, but I have VPN anyway so the best experience for me is using VPN to German and turn on the data saver.

Reading from 3 devices:
1080p 28 inch monitor, 1080p 8 inch tablet, and 1080p 5,6 inch phone.

The compression is virtually unseen with my tablet and phone unless you zoom it by a lot.

Overall, great features while saving bandwidth

@audinue
You can't use 'protocol' instead of 'language'

Webrts is leaking IPs so in all adBlockers block it
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Prevent-WebRTC-from-leaking-local-IP-address

@magnetsmangadex
You can specify what image browser should load on front end
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/HTML/Multimedia_and_embedding/Responsive_images

You can guess what browser send request and send proper image with nginx

https://mangadex.network/

Watch this space :)

Isn't that version of nginx kinda old? Seems to give 500s on bad urls instead of 404 as well.
Super curious what it will be for though.

Dex-chan lover
500 on bad URLs instead of 404s is a hint that there is something going on in the background on the server. Like all the requests are thrown to a script. I guess We'll watch it.

MD@Home
h@h-like system is a really great idea i would love to participate (more than 4 PB on h@h 🧐 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread