In how many languages do you can (and do) read manga in MD?

• 1. Just english, please.

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • 2. Two. I'm bilingual in MD

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • II. Also two... but there are not any groups in my mother language ╥﹏╥

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 3. Three or more, is it already being a polyglot?

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • 数. B* please, i can read japanese raws (or korean / chinese)

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • ?? Yo não parlo angliyskiy, wat iu talqing hea?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The question is not if you can speak some words or phrases, but if actually you get comfortable reading manga in other languages. And in how many languages?

In my MDlist there are at least 3 of my favorite series that are only being updated in other languages than english.

Thanks to Latin American anime/manga community, in that case, these series was not abandoned in MangaDex and luckily i can read spanish and portuguese.

But the groups from Poland, Russia, Arabia, Indonesia, are also very active in this network too.

Do you also can take a bit of advantage of the variety of languages in MangaDex?

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
I read everything in english because for some reason it's akward for me to read in spanish, although, there have been some titles where there are spanish chapters and no english chapters because they got removed, so i read those first, then switch to english. Funnily enough, when i read in english i tend to translate the text to spanish.

Dex-chan lover
I could read manga in my native language, but I'd hate to do that cuz it'd make me cringe. I just don't like the culture I live in.
So I voted 1.

Staff
Super Moderator
@solstice258
Ah, i think it's the same with me, i feel more comfortable if i read something that isn't in my language.

Dex-chan lover
Only English. I feel real uncomfortable reading manga in my native language; as much as I hate the term, "cringe" accurately describes the feeling.
I'll learn Japanese one of these days, when I stop being lazy (i.e. probably never).

When there are scans in my language and english, i go for english not for confort but, more important, for the quality of the translation, since most of groups in other languages use the english translation for source.

Japanese is already a very tricky language to translate to any other due the quantity of unique expressions and meanings. Then you can imagine how terrible the text becomes after being translated to english and then to a third language. The result is a "chinese whispers / telephone" game.

But you can find even the opposite (jap > (sometimes chinese) > spanish/other > english) , surprisingly.

Btw, in most of countries good professional translators of japanese are very expensive to hire. And for a decent translation you must be REALLY GOOD and experienced, not "okay", not "i had a couple years of study" or even "i just graduated in japanese". Even "native" japanese speakers may fail if they was not raised in japan and learned from their parents.

In my job sometimes i have to hire translators for official documents and i already had a bad time with japanese embassy cause of that (to make things worse, japanese are very sensitive)

This is why you guys should be aware that 99% of time when the characters say something nonsense or confuse in anime/manga (some years ago specially in licenced works), it is not because they or the author are stupid, but it's bad translation.

Dex-chan lover
The only other language I know besides English is Latin and no one writes Manga in Latin.

Though I might just as joke one of these days

Staff
Super Moderator
I would read a manga written in latin.

Well, The question is

I can read in Indonesian, Javanese, a little of Malay, and of course English, but only read manga in English.

(´。• ᵕ •。`) ♡

I read everything in english too , but there are some chapters that are in spanish and not in english on some series. That I read in my native languague. But I prefer reading in english, guess all the lessons on english that I took when I was a kid were for something. Well, there are also some catalan translators teams, that I can read to, but its nearly impossible to find a complete series on that language.

Dex-chan lover
@JakkRo Same. I read manga in three languages, but stick to English for scanlations when I can to avoid JP -> ENG -> ??? shenanigans. I don't have any problems with reading manga in other languages, though; French is extremely handy when buying physical volumes, since les Français are King Weeb here in Europe with the sheer amount and variety of titles they localize, as well as the special editions they release at rather good prices. My country's no pushover either when it comes to affordable manga, so most of the volumes I own are in Italian.

Contributor
I could read manga in another language on MangaDex, but since (a) English is my primary language and (b) choosing just one language option greatly simplifies the UI/display/homepage, I stick with just English.

Group Leader
I can read in 3 languages: mainly English, sometimes Vietnamese (not on this site, though), and I've started reading Japanese more recently.

I don't like reading in Vietnamese that much because the translation quality is often not as good as English. Sometimes, I'd see sentences or dialogues being butchered, or they don't make any sense as a result of direct translation. And recently, more translation groups have started putting over the top incredibly obnoxious watermarks on their work. I get it, having aggregator sites taking your work isn't fun (personally I don't care). But you putting all those craps on the manga isn't pleasant for the readers, either. Not to mention these people are seriously aiming to make profits, from manga they translated illegally. It's a job for them, not a hobby. Sometimes, the Vietnamese version of a manga progresses much faster than the English one, so I read it instead. Like Higanjima or Hakaijuu.
Also, this was back when I was a kid, but the official Vietnamese translations were notorious for making cuts and edits to the manga. Some parts of the story would be omitted for cultural reasons, or someone thought we'd be too stupid to understand. Some violent or lewd scenes would be cut or edited, because of the idea that "manga = children". Dragon Quest Roto was infamous for this. God knows how they managed to translate Shin-chan.

I needed to find a way to improve my Japanese after graduation, so I started translating Monkey Peak. I'm getting really rusty, though, damn it!
I like to read other manga in Japanese as well, most of them are the ones I've read in my childhood in my native language. Dragon Quest, Doraemon, The Chef, Shouta no Sushi, etc. Would love to translate them eventually.

And for a decent translation you must be REALLY GOOD and experienced, not "okay", not "i had a couple years of study" or even "i just graduated in japanese".

God helps you if you just graduated and want to get some experience. Nope, gotta climb the ladder to N1 yourself. T_T

Group Leader
@mr_detective N1 ??? even i, myself dont believe there is anyone can pass N1, its impossibru.....

Some of the translation group may not take it seriously when translating, Indonesian Scanlation Group is pretty much the best. THANK YOU INDONESIAN SCANLATION GROUP OUT THERE.

Dex-chan lover
Just english and spanish though I only ever read in spanish when there is no other alternative.

Dex-chan lover
Damn my thread slayers powers kicked in and I murdered this thread hopefully by I can successfully necro this thread. I am curious about the other folks out there.

Dex-chan lover
Would you look at that,
a thread untouched by haiku.
I choose option one.

Users who are viewing this thread