In the Gardens of Gehenna - Vol. 1 Ch. 9 - Goodbye

Dex-chan lover
How about you read what I said again because I never said that children don't commit crimes.

Erm, I thought we operated on the premise that story, and people here, have already established the age of our protagonists to be above and beyond these of kindergarteners, the drawing style notwithstanding?

And even in the case the story followed 5-8 y/o, I can only speak for myself, but I was well aware of the concept of bullying and theft at that age. Considering some personal experiences and what I read in the news, I'd imagine young kids can absolutely behave that way "forreal".

Anyhow, see ya and your suspense of disbelief in chapter 10 I suppose. :aquadrink:

Though I would have preferred if black hair wasn't fucked up either and was just trying her best to help her friend out of the goodness of her heart rather than out of selfishness.
Unfortunately it was obvious that at least she was the one who "betrayed" Collin. The moment Collin said "someone" betrayed her before, it was clear that they were gonna use Riko to fulfill that role in the story.

I can agree that these last few chapters have been stupidly edgy, wonder how is it gonna end tho, seems like it's leaning towards the end already.

Aggregator gang
man girls are weird. can't they just wrestle and laugh it off :huh:

Dex-chan lover
Haha, yeah... like when an elderly woman came to the police station in Japan to confess the murder of her husband just to be turned away. Several weeks later her neighbors reported bad smell coming from the apartment which finally forced the police to investigate and arrest her.

Unfortunately, after scoring the web, I couldn't find this article anywhere. It was about 10+ years ago and left an impression on me. I guess it will be one of these "trust me bro" moment.

Anyhow, I know it's fiction. However, while exceedingly rare (unless it's a certain english-speaking country that's been all the rage on the news recently), I've read about cases of police neglect around the globe, prompting me to make a comment. And while this is unrelated, the manga brings a topic with all the right pieces for one heck of a discussion. Who knows, maybe it was even inspired by real life events?

In conclusion, this is a great story imo. I want to see how it ends. Also, I have stumbled on "Kōbe renzoku jidō sasshō jiken" (not for the faint of heart) during my search and am now a believer that yeah... had Mary agreed, Colin would have no qualms about burying Rico. Kids are scary, yo.
What are going on about? First off the the question of which country you were referring to was genuine. You said "our judicial system"(you're typing in English but the setting is Japan) I'm not sure if you're just normally condescending or if its just the keyboard, but I'll reply respectfully none the less.

There was plenty of room for rebuttal against the point I was making. Which was that more realistic steps would have been taken in child welfair in real life (Like the examples stated in my comment above ("truancy officer ", "social services" "welfare checks" ) But you went and changed the subject. My familys been on both sides of that coin Police neglect and police Prudence. But what made a big difference was how well the abuser hid it. I have had family and friends who've been helped and harmed in the system. So i have bit of an optimistic perspective.

I dont have any sources but i always assumed Japan was better in this regard.

There was a case a year or two ago in my state where two brothers conspired to kill their mom. both below age of 14. And there was that 12 yr old girl who smothered her cousin over a phone. Kids can be killers. That's totally realistic.

The situation you gave sounds like the Jeffery Dahmer story. Crazy. The old woman told the police her neighbor was killing people time and time again. That she smelled something AWFUL in his apartment.That every time a new "lover" came by what followed was screams. They just laughed at her. (The scenario you described is very much like it. I watched the documentaries before the show. But Its a good series give it a shot if you get the chance)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
What are going on about? First off the the question of which country you were referring to was genuine. You said "our judicial system"(you're typing in English but the setting is Japan) I'm not sure if you're just normally condescending or if its just the keyboard, but I'll reply respectfully none the less.

There was plenty of room for rebuttal against the point I was making. Which was that more realistic steps would have been taken in child welfair in real life (Like the examples stated in my comment above ("truancy officer ", "social services" "welfare checks" ) But you went and changed the subject. My familys been on both sides of that coin Police neglect and police Prudence. But what made a big difference was how well the abuser hid it. I have had family and friends who've been helped and harmed in the system. So i have bit of an optimistic perspective.

I dont have any sources but i always assumed Japan was better in this regard.

There was a case a year or two ago in my state where two brothers conspired to kill their mom. both below age of 14. And there that 12 yr old girl who smothered her cousin over a phone. Kids can be killers. That's totally realistic.

The situation you gave was sounds like the Jeffery Dahmer story. Crazy. The old woman told the police her neighbor was killing people time and time again. That she smelled something AWFUL in his apartment.That every time a new "lover came by what followed was screams" They just laughed at her. (The scenario you described is very much like it. I watched the documentaries before the show. But Its a good series give it a shot if you get the chance)

I over generalized by saying "our judicial system" because I've read many different cases of neglect from all over the world, hence meaning to mean "our" as a more of "developed countries". Sorry for not making that clear.

Also, my knowledge of social services that deal with minors is juvenile at best so I couldn't really comment on it. I just have a bunch of old examples where they fail or take unnecessary action for a quick paycheck, nothing recent after I stopped reading these types of stories, so I can't even quote any. I just know that it happens around the globe so I assumed Japan would probably have similar cases making this story more believable to me.

I can't even take this shit seriously anymore to be honest. These are like kindergarteners. This is ridiculous.
They are 12-13yo. Late 6th grade (next year is middle school = 7th grade), likely skipped a year of classes at some point due to their lives (traveling parent, abusing parent, girl has to care of her spam of siblings), pregnancy (min 11yo in a stressed girl that is physically healthy), the fact they can parent/handle money/etc and for adults that is normal. The art style makes them look younger, that is all.

Dude be forreal. I'm not talking about the abuse I'm talking about the fact that children simply don't act this way.
Girls undergoes puberty earlier and faster. You will see a random mixture of child and teen/adult behavior in the 9yo-14yo range, unlike in boys that is often at 11-16yo range. Personally speaking, those girls talk and act very similarly to my 12yo cousin, and when I was 12yo I saw the world very similarly as well.

Honestly never mind the age thing. It hurts my suspension of disbelief but my real issue is that when I started following this I assumed it was a serious look at abuse and it's impacts and not a soap opera. I don't personally like soap operas.
I think it is a serious look, but it is a yuri manga first on its core, published on the Comic Yuri Hime, so if you want the story but without the yuri component on it, you will not find it here.

Users who are viewing this thread